FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Bass Fishing at Spruce Run  (Read 1673 times)

TJK

Bass Fishing at Spruce Run
« on: May 18, 2006, 10:37 AM »
Camped Spruce Run with Old Man and Uncle Jack, 5/7 to 5/17. Fishing was pretty slow, as we were averaging 8-12 fish among us per day, putting 7-8 hours on a day in 2 boats. Water temps ranged from 62 to 66 (hit 68/70 on one or two hot days). Got lots of small, (presumably) males right on shore (we're guessing they're making beds -lots had roughed-up tails, funky spots on mouths, a few with bleeding tails!).

Perhaps 10 fish topped 18" with the biggest being 21-1/2" (maybe 5lbs but didn't have scale). Smallies weren't there either (in the past 2 years we've had good smallie action in May), perhaps 10 caught and all small (<15"). 2-3 Wipers caught, including one 24", but we caught these fishing shallows for largemouths (U. Jack put in 4-5 hours trolling husky jerks and herring across points but no luck). I got a nice pike (29-1/2", 5lb 9oz) trolling 12' water one afternoon (only fish caught on hard bait - husky jerk - everything else on worms).

Next week or so is probably time to hit the Run for some pre-spawn action - we're assuming we were a week early on this trip! As for camping, pre-Memorial day is the time to go. During the week there were 3-4 campers at most, with a handful more on the weekends (last weekend was light due to rain). Nicer days during the week had perhaps 10 boaters out, with the rainy/windy (and it was windy there nearly all the time from NE, E or SE) days having 3-4 boats out (of course you have those sail boat regatta things going on a few times a week but we were back in coves away from that anyway). Once or twice we had the lake to ourselves!

I'd be curious to hear how anyone else did there lately? Met some guys out there who claimed to have 20 fish + days ??

bayonne

Re: Bass Fishing at Spruce Run
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 09:26 PM »
i mostly fish for the stripers my self but do good with large mouth back by the power line lots of stumps

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.