FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Sliders  (Read 5492 times)

massfisher

Sliders
« on: May 25, 2006, 09:39 PM »
I know a lot of people, well mostly everyone on the great lakes uses them.   I have been using them lately to because a friend that i fish with went to onterio and they use them and he explained it to me so i kinda know how it works and i have been catching browns on them but can someone give a little more detail one them?? Do they always go down 1/2 way on your line??

spoonfed

Re: Sliders
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 09:11 AM »
  that sounds like a mixture of sliders and stacking.  i understand the concept. ( at least i think i do ) but can i ask why not just stack?  this way you don't have two lures off one rod.  i thought the purpose of sliders were so they did move up and down some? i'm not at all saying your wrong mac but rather i'm confused now.  i stopped stacking a few yrs ago because everyone told me sliders were more productive.help mac.

definition of a great morning-  screaming drags ; fish on ; double header   TEAM MICH

massfisher

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 09:20 PM »
When you go to hook the slider to the line to you clip it to the rubberband also or do you run the line through the loop in the rubberband.   Does the rubberband snap when you yank on it, if it is a small fish like a 18 inch salmon.

GAMBELL

• 24 lb. 11 oz. laker
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 05:50 AM »
Attach the rubber band to the main line and then use a snap to hook the slider to the main line.  Hook the rubber band in the snap to the slide that is attched to the main line.  This would be called a fixed slider.  I usually run them 10' up.  You could just clip the slider on and it will go a little more than half way down (free slider). 

GAMBELL

• 24 lb. 11 oz. laker
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 10:47 AM »
I find that the rubberband to the cable causes more tangles.  It is probally because I run 4 riggers in a boat with an 8 1/2 beem.  I just attach the rubberband to the main line instead of the rigger cable.

killitandgrillit

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 12:04 PM »
That's a great diagram Mac...what kind of rubber bands do you use??? I might give this a try this weekend...
"I fish because I love to; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience; because maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but suspect so many other concerns of men equally unimportant- and not nearly so much fun."

killitandgrillit

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 03:20 PM »
Where do you get them?
"I fish because I love to; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience; because maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but suspect so many other concerns of men equally unimportant- and not nearly so much fun."

killitandgrillit

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 07:32 PM »
I went to Office max- the smallest bands they had were 16 pound. I'm going to try knicking them with a knife to weaken them a little bit.

SEADUCKTION

« Reply #8 on: Jun 01, 2006, 02:34 PM »
Mac,
  I have to agree with you on the hook setting ability of the rubber bands. I use the red bands from Cannon, I bought them at Dick's, but I think you find them at alot of stores that carry Cannon. I use them for planer releases also, and have used them for a rigger release in shallow water for eyes and browns.
 Rich

Reel Wet Ride

• Team Michigan
« Reply #9 on: Jun 01, 2006, 05:02 PM »
I run the stack system. One rod, one lure. I run two rods off one rigger, two rods off the other.

Now, I'm no genuis, but if you have two lures on the same rod, doesn't that count towards your total number of rods????
In MI, if you have two lures affixed to the same rod, its the same as using two rods.

I prefer the stack system better anyway, If I'm running in 150fow and the fish are 90 down, I want my spoons at 82 and 90, -the stack system...not 45 and 90, the -"true" slider system.

spoonfed

« Reply #10 on: Jun 01, 2006, 07:49 PM »
I run the stack system. One rod, one lure. I run two rods off one rigger, two rods off the other.

Now, I'm no genuis, but if you have two lures on the same rod, doesn't that count towards your total number of rods????
In MI, if you have two lures affixed to the same rod, its the same as using two rods.

I prefer the stack system better anyway, If I'm running in 150fow and the fish are 90 down, I want my spoons at 82 and 90, -the stack system...not 45 and 90, the -"true" slider system.

in michigan you can run one slider per pole.  also they changed how many rods you can run if you are targeting trout/salmon.  it is now 3 rods per person.  i believe that in michigan it goes by how many hooks per line.  i might be wrong.  but i know 100% that you can run sliders.  i run 4 riggers--2 (outside riggers) with sliders and 2 (inside) with just the main line and also 2 dipseys.   with 2 people counting me.  i dont run sliders on the inside due to tangles.  i figure if 8 baits is not enough i should of stayed home that day.

definition of a great morning-  screaming drags ; fish on ; double header   TEAM MICH

GAMBELL

• 24 lb. 11 oz. laker
« Reply #11 on: Jun 01, 2006, 08:20 PM »

Reelwetride, 
I run stackers and then I use a fixed slider on the stacked rod.  This allows you to cover 20' of the water column with one rigger.  I usually run 2 riggers with a 5' difference in depth and that will cover 25' of the water column.  Add 2 wire dipsey rods and you are covering a lot of water with 6 rods.

In NY you can have 15 hook points per line.  You could run 1 lure off of the main line and 4 sliders (5 spoons w/ treble hooks).  It would be a mess but you could do it if you wanted to.

killitandgrillit

« Reply #12 on: Jun 02, 2006, 08:52 AM »
On the great lakes when targeting trout or salmon you can run 3 rods per person, with no more than 6 hooks total. Each lure counts as 1 hook.

killitandgrillit

« Reply #13 on: Jun 05, 2006, 08:46 AM »
Mac,
   Great idea with the fixed slider. Although we didnt catch any fish on the sliders, they ran good and didnt foul up once. I found knicking the band with a pair of sharp scissors made pulling it up alot easier though. The spot we motored 30 mins to get to this weekend was over run with Native American nets....what a bummer. We trolled around them, marked a few, but didnt hook into anything.

troutman

« Reply #14 on: Jun 05, 2006, 10:54 AM »
Mac, in ny state you can run 5 lures per pole with 15 hook points. With 4 downriggers you can run 20 lures not 8
Ray

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.