FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 2 mph?  (Read 6874 times)

danno

2 mph?
« on: May 30, 2006, 10:24 AM »
How can you tell 2 mph without a speed censor?

During the past couple of years, I've trolled occasionally for bass, but did pick up a couple of trout.  This year I decided to focus on Rainbows so I picked up some dipsey's and diving crankbaits.

I trolled this past weekend off the surface, down about 15  with diving crankbaits and down about 30-40 with dipseys dragging spoons. Max. depth where I was fishing was about 45 feet and was picking up most fish on the fishfinder between 15 and 40.

I caught one rock bass off the surface - ugh!

I always catch more bass trolling out of my canoe close to shore, slowly, and quitely.  Maybe there is a lesson to be learned here.

Anyway, I'm wondering if I'm trolling out of the boat too quickly?  Speedometer on the boat is worthless at those slow speeds - and I don't have a seperate speed censor.

I'm trolling out of a 17 foot open bow with an 88 outboard just out of neutral with and agaisnt the wind.  Any idea about what speed that would be?

If I'm too fast, I'll through a 5 gallon bucket over the side tied off on a cleat?

Not going to buy a trolling motor just yet.

Help me please!

Danno

eyedoktr

Re: 2 mph?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 11:16 AM »
I believe that even the cheapest handheld GPS units will have SOG (speed over ground). That will be the least expensive and most accurate way you will have to measure speed. A difference of even .2 MPH can make a huge difference.
Pete Lewis

vancouvercanuck

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 11:25 AM »
My buddies 18' aluminum with 90 hp outboard does 2.6 mph just out of neutral trolling. This is the slowest it goes with no wind. It is much faster if you are going with the wind. Against the wind, and I'm talking about a 30 mph wind will slow you down to about 1.7 mph trolling.

This is off the GPS.

Hope this helps.
"Surveys show that minesweaping draws the most diligent and precise individuals of any profession with employees averaging only one mistake per career." - Author Unknown

danno

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 11:41 AM »
Great - keep the replies coming!

Any recommended speeds for rainbows and bass?  Do you thing I may be too fast trolling with the big motor without a pail or trolling sock?

We tried GPS on the lake a couple years back but could not pick up a signal.  I'm assuming the technology has improved.

What are most people using to guage speed - GPS or speed sensors?

Danno

vancouvercanuck

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 12:12 PM »
It really depends on the mood of the fish.

I know for Walleye and Pike I have caught them anywhere from 1.2 mph all the way up to 3 mph. Mostly the slower speeds work the best when the fish are on.

I have always used my GPS for speed. Everytime we have compared it to the speed sensor on a fishfinder, the fishfinder has always been of by .5 of a mile or better.
"Surveys show that minesweaping draws the most diligent and precise individuals of any profession with employees averaging only one mistake per career." - Author Unknown

Pikeguy

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 12:56 PM »
Mac, keep in mind I am no engineer  ;D  How would one go about building one of these? I don't need specifics as I have a GPS....Just that inquiring minds want to know. lol ;)

Reel Wet Ride

• Team Michigan
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2006, 01:43 PM »
I know when I'm trolling, I have to do like you, kick the big motor just out of nuetral. That puts me between 1.8 and 2.2 mph.  But about the best thing you can do, is just hold your lure over the side of the boat and see how it runs, that is the most important thing. For me, when I watch my spoon, I want it to have a wobble with sharp snap every so often, when it runs like that, I know the speed is good. Another thing you can look for if you're running long lines, is to watch the rod tip. You'll want it to have a nice steady thump from the lure. To fast, and you won't see much movement in the rod tip.

Pikeguy

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2006, 03:04 PM »
Gotcha. Cool idea Mac ...thanks!  :D

Lindz

• "Jo Jo Running"
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2006, 03:05 PM »
That just made my day,  thanks Mac.

Lindz
   &  Bass

gamefisher

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2006, 05:29 AM »
Before the days of so much electronic use, I was taught to judge your speed by watching the shore and then troll "like you were walking to the outhouse."  You would be surprised how close that is to 2.0!  You can never go to far wrong with spoons and lures at 1.8 - 2.2.  Makes the lure act eradict at slower speeds.  I have used my current trolling package enough now so I can guess within a tenth or so just by feel when checked against the gps if that makes any sense to you.  It would be nothing to throw out a couple of pails off the back (easier to steer and troll than one in my opinion) to get your speed down.  Good luck. 

jager61

• FB Page: NY Reservoir Trout
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2006, 08:46 AM »
Danno:

Ditto on Mac's advice.  Since I am not too mechanically inclined, I bought the Luhr Jensen "Luhr Speed" indicator.  Works pretty much like Mac's device and have found it to be very accurate despite water/wave conditions.  It is graduated in Knots and MPH and gives you readings as low as .5 mph up to about 4 mph.  I think it's about $30 bucks in Cabelas.  It has really helped me improve my laker presentation.

Good Luck- Mike

gamefisher

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2006, 12:57 PM »
Excellent point Mac.

danno

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2006, 02:41 PM »
Really great info - thanks to everybody!!!

I indicated earlier that we were not able to get a good GPS signal along a densly wooded shore line a few years ago (duh!).

I don't know anything about GPS technology.  Any concern that I would not get signal in the middle of this desolate tug hill lake?

Danno

danno

« Reply #13 on: Jun 03, 2006, 10:07 AM »
Well, after pricing a couple, I just picked up a hand held Garmin for under a $100 at BPS just like Mac said. Did a test in the parking lot walking back to my car and realized immediatly that I've been trolling pretty darn fast.

2 mph is pretty slow - can't wait to throw some buckets over, slow down the troll and see what happen!

Danno

troutman

« Reply #14 on: Jun 04, 2006, 04:23 PM »
 It’s a shame man needs all this fancy technology today to gauge trolling speed. What would you do if your toy took a crap? I go by cable angle and its works if I have 20 mph wind going into it or with it. If you lure is running to slow you can tell by experience. If you are going to fast your lure will twist your line and you will have a large cable angle. A 45 degree cable angle will put you about 1.5 mph. run a lure along the side of your boat and experiment with different speeds and cable angles to see how that lure tracts in the water. All this talk about trolling speed is nothing but a bunch of high tech talk to get you to spend money on some foolish toys you don’t need.
Ray

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.