FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Minn-Kota or MotorGuide???? Pros/Cons/Good/Bad??  (Read 2148 times)

slipbob

Minn-Kota or MotorGuide???? Pros/Cons/Good/Bad??
« on: Jun 05, 2006, 11:31 AM »
Okay, of those of you who have purchased newer model trolling motors which ones do you like?  I'm looking at a new transom motor and a new bow-mount foot controlled motor and am trying to decide on a couple models.  I do like the idea of the "built-in" transducers on some of the bow mounts so you can plug directly in and was wondering if anybody has one and how do you like it?  I know I will be getting at least 80lbs of thrust but there are lots of options and before I go and spend $1500 on a pair of trolling motors I want to make sure I'm making a good choice.  Thanks!!

eyedoktr

Re: Minn-Kota or MotorGuide???? Pros/Cons/Good/Bad??
« Reply #1 on: Jun 05, 2006, 11:43 AM »
I have used both and will say that they are both excellent. The problems that Motorguide had a couple of years ago seem to all taken care of. I currently have the MinnKota on the bow with auto pilot and universal sonar. I love the unit and the 102C works great with it.
Pete Lewis

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
Re: Minn-Kota or MotorGuide???? Pros/Cons/Good/Bad??
« Reply #2 on: Jun 05, 2006, 12:11 PM »
For the bow mount, I would definitely get the universal sonar...if you have to attach the 'ducer to the motor it leaves the unit itself and the cord exposed and they WILL get damaged.  Also, since you will probably be using the bow mount for actual trolling, get one of the non-cable drive units - the cord on them is long enough to control the motor from anywhere in the new boat.

Oh yeah, I would go with Minn-Kota...the 24V 74lb thrust model has more then enough power for my 17' Lund.  It will make headway into a steady 30mph wind on only the "40" setting. (it goes up to "100")

As for transom mounts, I think Minn-Kota has a really funky looking unit that has some really neat features.

don't forget about chargers.

I would get a 3 bank onboard charger, 2 banks for the trolling motor batteries, the last bank for the cranking battery.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.