FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Popular new tactics  (Read 8231 times)

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
Popular new tactics
« on: Jun 26, 2006, 08:18 PM »
I know there is two new popular lures out there that have been getting alot of attention; chatter baits, and soft plastic frogs. By soft plastic frogs I mean the disposable horny toad style of frog.

Chatterbaits seem to me to be a fad, and that is about it.  They do catch bass, but they are not some miracle lure, and other presentations can be used successfully in place of them...I repeat, they do catch bass, but other lures (swimbaits, spinnerbaits) work equally well in those same situations

Soft plastic frogs on the other hand are not just a fad.  I have caught bass on horny toads when they would not bite anything else (even a buzzbait or rubber type frog).  I even have a rod just for them.  It is a 7' Heavy action casting rod, with a 7-1 retrieve reel, and 50lb power pro.  The thing with these lures is that they work just as good in open water as they do in cover.  I like to throw them with a 5/0 Owner rig'n hook.  I apply superglue at the nose of the bait, as it helps it stay on a little longer.  That is the problem with Soft Plastic frogs though, they can get awefully expensive to use.  I had days last year where I went through 2+ bags of them.  A word about color, it doesn't seem to matter, they all work good.

fishboy899

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Popular new tactics
« Reply #1 on: Jun 26, 2006, 11:01 PM »
I've thought about buying horny toads and testing them out just haven't  got around to buying some but I will eventually ;D

As far as chatterbaits will probably never pick one up in my life.  I would say at least 80% of my bass fishing is with soft plastics and a jig.  Usually the only hard baits I use are cranks, spinnerbaits and topwater plugs and spooks.  Once and a while through a jerkbait.  I'm not into the new fads.  I'm content flippin' a jig to the heavy cover. :D
A 17 yr. old that is addicted already.

devil-man

« Reply #2 on: Jun 27, 2006, 03:21 AM »
I've tried the frogs, BigRed. They do catch fish.
But there are two things I don't like about them:
-They're heavy and sink too quickly. I would prefer a slower retrieve.
-If they aren't perfectly rigged they spin like mad.
I guess it's just one of those things that I need to learn to do well.
Patience... :-\

camo_fish

• Heeeeere Fishy, Fishy, Fishy
« Reply #3 on: Jun 27, 2006, 03:29 AM »
My favorite frog to throw and use is the Strike King "Grass Frog" it is all one deal, frog and hook, and they float. They can be worked over the heavy cover and throw the pockets or even in the open water outside the weed edge.

I find these frogs the easiest and most productive for me.  ;D I've even used then with good luck threw the night, with the popping technique reel.  ;)

I love working the frog and watching and hearing those big slob bass exploding on them.  8)
Fishing isn't a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that!

I live with FEAR everyday, and sometimes she lets me go fishing!

bigredfishing

« Reply #4 on: Jun 27, 2006, 07:20 AM »

But there are two things I don't like about them:
-They're heavy and sink too quickly. I would prefer a slower retrieve.
-If they aren't perfectly rigged they spin like mad.

Well, If you hold your rod tip high, you can get a slow enough retrieve....I retrieve them just fast enough for the legs to move.  As for them spinning, its ok, the fish hit them anyway ;)

I would like to emphasize that toads are not just a morning evening, or mid day slop lure - I catch 'em on a toad pretty much at any time.

xrhino

• MMMM! Beer!
« Reply #5 on: Jun 27, 2006, 08:47 AM »
I would like to emphasize that toads are not just a morning evening, or mid day slop lure - I catch 'em on a toad pretty much at any time.

I agree.  There's a good frog article in In Fisherman this month.  I like Case Bait's buzzin frog the best.
Pain is weakness leaving the body.

High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement

kerosenecounty17

« Reply #6 on: Jun 27, 2006, 07:36 PM »
Excuse my ignorance, but what's a chatter bait?  Never heard of them.

Thanks,

kc17

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
« Reply #7 on: Jun 27, 2006, 07:42 PM »
I love the plastic frogs as well. I threw out a few posts about them early in the season, Ibought up a bunch and i;m trying them out to see which on I perfer, i mean the fish perfer.

I did splurge and bought one chatter bait...it's all i could afford. at 8$ a pop, they are pricey. I like the action and sound they make but I have yet to hook up with one.

bigredfishing

« Reply #8 on: Jun 27, 2006, 08:44 PM »
Everybody keeps talking about the new in-fisherman article on bass....when did everybody's issue arrive, I haven't seen mine yet  ???

pikeman

« Reply #9 on: Jun 29, 2006, 03:33 PM »
Yep i like  plastic frogs i just started  using them this year and the bass love em' ;D

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
« Reply #10 on: Jun 29, 2006, 03:36 PM »
To answer an above question, here is a link to some chatterbaits.

http://www.backwatersonline.com/category.cfm?Category=1287

xrhino

• MMMM! Beer!
« Reply #11 on: Jun 29, 2006, 03:58 PM »
Everybody keeps talking about the new in-fisherman article on bass....when did everybody's issue arrive, I haven't seen mine yet  ???
Did you get it yet?  Subscribtion run out?
Pain is weakness leaving the body.

High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement

bigredfishing

« Reply #12 on: Jun 29, 2006, 04:35 PM »
Did you get it yet?  Subscribtion run out?

doubt it ran out - Its a lifetime subscripton - maybe its here today Maybe someone jacked it on me :(  Either way, If it isn't here by tommorrow, I'm buying one damnit

Lindz

• "Jo Jo Running"
« Reply #13 on: Jul 12, 2006, 12:28 PM »
Hey BigRed - you will be happy to know that a certain bait from the ZOOM bait company is sitting here on my desk as I type  ;D

The Horny Toad - in Watermelon Red  :o

I went with the 4/ Owner wide gap and it looks like it will be the ticket.

My plan is to hit my local pond for a few hours every weekend, and fish this bait exclusively  for the rest of the year. 

My first update will be Monday.

Lindz
   &  Bass

devil-man

« Reply #14 on: Jul 12, 2006, 01:10 PM »
My plan is to hit my local pond for a few hours every weekend, and fish this bait exclusively  for the rest of the year. 

Why would you do such a thing?  :cookoo:
You'll be missing out on a lot of fish if you commit to one bait exclusively.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.