FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: October walleyes  (Read 3660 times)

princecraft

October walleyes
« on: Oct 21, 2006, 03:15 PM »
Alright I need some advise on catching walleye. We don't have many lakes in my area that have walleye in them. Their is one lake that they have stocked for years and years but stopped about 3 years ago. I was out the other day fishing for perch and accidently caught a 17 inch walleye fishing with a bobber and right on bottom with a small minnow. Kinda got my heart pumping. My questions are, I would like to go out in the evening and stay after dark but not sure the best ways of catching these fish. The lake is a real clear lake and their is weeds in depths of 30+ ft. The water temp. was 50* the other day. First, I hear alot of fishermen talk about jigging for them. I also heard that the walleye could go shallow after dark. What would be the minimum depth that a person would jig for walleye after dark? Also, I thought I would toss crankbaits(thundersticks, raps, hot-n-tots, wally divers, etc.) up close to shore. Any added advise would help me to know how to start. Also, I will probably be fishing alone. Is it a good idea for one person to fish alone or is their just to many things that can go wrong? Thanks for all advise in advance.

walleyechaser

• Ghetto Fab
Re: October walleyes
« Reply #1 on: Oct 23, 2006, 10:06 AM »
night fishing for walleyes.  My favorite.

So far this fall trolling has been productive for me.  I longline with either floating raps, husky jerks, or tail dancers depending on the depth I'm fishing.  Vary your speed and pump the rod to make your lure jump forward and then let it fall back on a tight line.   That seems to trigger strikes.  I would troll right along the weed edge or break. 

Jigging seems to produce better during the day.  For this my staple has been the fuzzy grub and the rattling bucktail jig.  I tip these with either a half crawler or big minnow.  Big suckers seem to work a little better as we get later in the year.   Also a slip bobber with a sucker or big shiner should be productive.  If you have a lighted bobber then use that after dark to suspend a minnow.   

I fish at night almost exclusively for walleye and have caught them in 2 fow.  And yes your chances for a major debacle do increase after dark but if you have enough lights you'll be ok.  Stealth is another element you will want to consider after dark.  Shallow walleyes are very spooky.  From the sounds of your lake I would not overlook fishing the tops of the weeds after dark and during the day.
care for a warm up?

Official authority on the Kraken

The "Habitual Offender" of the MIRC - I need a clear glass plate

princecraft

« Reply #2 on: Oct 23, 2006, 08:20 PM »
Walleyechaser....
Sounds like a plan.  Will put it to work and let you know how I do..

hunters08

« Reply #3 on: Oct 23, 2006, 11:12 PM »
I would definetly leave the open water jigging to during the day and throwing rapalas or rebels at night.Use a flurocarbon leader(i say that cause you said the lake is really clear) and throw your jig and night crawler into the weeds at the weed line,let it sink to the bottom then pull it a foot or so towards you at a time.That is what i would do during the day.At night wade out with waders and cast rapalas or something floating like a rapala good luck hope ya catch a bunch!!! :tipup:
If i'm not fishing than i hope i'm turkey hunting!!!

walleyechaser

• Ghetto Fab
« Reply #4 on: Oct 24, 2006, 07:10 AM »
Walleyechaser....
Sounds like a plan.  Will put it to work and let you know how I do..

I wanna see pics of the eyes you get.
care for a warm up?

Official authority on the Kraken

The "Habitual Offender" of the MIRC - I need a clear glass plate

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.