FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Ice out craps?  (Read 7228 times)

Buckski

• Wish I had more days to fish!
Ice out craps?
« on: Mar 26, 2007, 01:15 PM »
Been reading on ice out craps and have founds patterns to be different.
In the winter the craps go to the deepest water in most lakes.
Once the ice melts they head shallow. They usually don't spawn till the water hits mid 50's.
Where are they before the spawn, at the first break like some suggest?
In the shallows waiting? I know the males will get in the shallows first, but there some time between ice out and 50 degree shallows.

Whats your experience been?
Internet heros give it a rest!

blue_lund

Re: Ice out craps?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 17, 2008, 06:43 AM »
your source of information seems correct.

Rodrunner

« Reply #2 on: Apr 17, 2008, 05:42 PM »
They will suspend in deeper water untill they get ready to spawn. 

CNY Lee

« Reply #3 on: Apr 22, 2008, 05:53 PM »
Do they spawn in the main lake, marina's or creeks?

eyewinder

It's possible. . .
« Reply #4 on: Apr 22, 2008, 06:07 PM »
Crappie can be caught relatively shallow right now -- especially if you fish near deeper water.  Just think real early, real late, and real small bait!  (It's a lot like ice fishing without the ice. . .)  :D

reelNeYesin

• fishing NYS...........PRICELESS
« Reply #5 on: Apr 23, 2008, 06:49 PM »
i fish mainly Oneida lake and these fish dont go to far from my experience
ice or open you can catch these fish in the same spots but sure when the water warms up they are in the shallows ive been getting all
mine in about 1fow and been getting them since the end of march
good luck finding the ice out crappies in a lake near you  ;D
theres mosquito's on the river.  .   . fish are rising up like birds

sageur

• wetter the water the better
« Reply #6 on: Apr 23, 2008, 06:53 PM »
also fish bays where water may warm up faster than the rest of the lake.Usually the bays that get the sun the longest, warms up faster

Crappie Catcher

« Reply #7 on: Mar 19, 2009, 09:16 PM »
They will suspend in deeper water untill they get ready to spawn. 
key word: SUSPENDED
If I'm not fishing, I'm hunting if I am not hunting, I'm trapping If I am not doing one of the above, I am wasting my time it is not a passion it is an obsession.

fishfins

« Reply #8 on: Mar 27, 2009, 12:53 PM »
Interesting. If the crappies seek out warmer water it seems like they would be very shallow right after the ice goes. That means that they aren't suspended. Any clarification? I intend to be on the water as soon as I can get the boat in. Thanks.

jeffd7766

« Reply #9 on: Mar 27, 2009, 03:44 PM »
The ones that i have caught so far this year have been in 10-15" inches of water, heard some rumors about people getting them in about 3', going to go out in a little while and give her a whirl

chiefcatchemall

• over the rail and in the pail
« Reply #10 on: Mar 30, 2009, 10:53 AM »
The ice in the lake I like to fish for craps just all melted away about 5 days ago or so. Its a shallow lake the deepest spot being around 12 feet. Where do you guys think I should look for them? I never really tried this period between ice out and when they spawn and would like to get into them a little earlier this year...
Opinions are like @ssholes. Everybody has one and they all stink.

Jimmy

• "Fish Till Ya' Puke"
« Reply #11 on: Mar 30, 2009, 11:15 AM »
Here on "my" little lake in Albany the crappie are still out deep...  Suspended about 25ft below the surface in about 40ft of water (deepest part of the lake)...

I live right on the lake and fish it everyday so it has become easier to 'dial in' on what fish are where...

By the time the water hits 50 (just as you said) the Crappie are PILED into my shoreline among the weeds and structure and catchable on every cast... 

But the ice has been off 'my' lake for two weeks now and there is no sign of crappie in their annual spawning areas yet.

My shoreline maxed out at 43 degrees on this past sunny Saturday- while the far shoreline never got above 40...  I suspect the Craps will show up in about two weeks once the water is more palatable to them.

Not sure if this helps- but is has been my observation over the past few years of living waterfront.  When the Hudson hits 50 the Stripers show up here in Albany...  And right about the same time, the Crappies overwhelm my shoreline...  That's why I put the docks in early thins year  :D

But I don't expect to see shallow water Crappie until a week or two before Mothers Day...

Must be different further south or elsewhere where guys are catching them in 1.5ft of water!!!
"Once in awhile you get shown the light...  In the strangest of places if you look at it right..."    -J. Garcia

Crappie Catcher

« Reply #12 on: Apr 01, 2009, 04:38 PM »
I know crappies suspend, but why? Walleyes and perch usually hug the bottom pretty tight. Why are crappies so different?
If I'm not fishing, I'm hunting if I am not hunting, I'm trapping If I am not doing one of the above, I am wasting my time it is not a passion it is an obsession.

Marcus

« Reply #13 on: Mar 23, 2010, 12:10 PM »
lot of research apparantely it took a year to get an answer...must be the baitfish crappie are after whereas the perch are after bugs and things in the mud and the walleye after the perch. This has been my belief.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.