FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Electric trolling motor on canoe/kayak...do you need to register it?  (Read 107663 times)

kayak2fish

Do you need to register a kayak or canoe with the DMV if you strap an electric trolling motor on it? I have heard yes and I've heard no.

If you do....how do you get around not having a bill of sale, a hull identification number or a title?

HudsonRiverRat-1

If its motorized it needs to be registered.

Question: My canoe has an electric motor or small gasoline motor. Do I need to register it with the Department of Motor Vehicles?
Answer: Yes. Any mechanically powered vessel, including a canoe, must be registered with DMV and must display the registration numbers.

http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dle/faq.htm#boat

Straight from their website.
"Avid tackle collector and sometimes fisherman"

kayak2fish

Thanks, Hudson River Rat.

Great. Now can anyone tell me the point of that rule when it is applied to a 14 foot kayak?

Also I have no bill of sale, no title or any other paperwork with the kayak, what must I do to get it registered?

kayak2fish

Alright, I think I understand what I need to do.....actually I have no clue. I found the information from the DMV on the steps to take. But my situation is so outside the box it isn't funny. I have a feeling I am going to go to DMV and they will not have any idea how to assist me. I bought the kayak for $300 on the side of the road in Franklin County from a guy who moved to the county from out of state. There is no title, no bill of sale or any other proof of ownership. I will check and see if there is a Hull Identification Number, but I have no idea if kayaks have them. The boat is a Perception Acadia.

northeastfisher

Just make up the information. The DMV really doesn't care with small boats(they just want the fee). Or you can have a Sherriff come look at the Kayak tell you yes its a Kayak and sign some paperwork. Thats what the DMV told me last time I tried to register a boat with no paper work (BTW its still not registered).

CAPTJJ

Motorized boats over 14 feet need a title in NY, I have one for my 14' Radisson.

kayak2fish

Actually, I think the boat is 13 feet. So what does this mean? It means I don't need a title right?

Then what do I need? Aaaagghh! I can't take it anymore.....this state sucks. Why can't I just slap on a trolling motor and call it good? I will still be paddling the darn thing....the trolling motor will just make my fishing more efficient.
Stupid state.

Chucker

It's all a giant ploy by the state to make you invest $2k in a pedal kayak instead  ;D

kayak2fish

It's all a giant ploy by the state to make you invest $2k in a pedal kayak instead  ;D

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

grubdropper

Have you ever tried a trolling motor and battery in a kayak?  That seems like overkill to me.  The beauty of the kayak is it seems you just throw it in the water jump in with a few pieces of equipment and start fishing.  Just out of curiosity why do you what a battery and trolling motor for this craft.  A deep cycle battery alone weighs 40 to 60 pounds.  I have never used a kayak but have thought about getting one.

kayak2fish

Have you ever tried a trolling motor and battery in a kayak?  That seems like overkill to me.  The beauty of the kayak is it seems you just throw it in the water jump in with a few pieces of equipment and start fishing.  Just out of curiosity why do you what a battery and trolling motor for this craft.  A deep cycle battery alone weighs 40 to 60 pounds.  I have never used a kayak but have thought about getting one.

You are right about the beauty of a kayak. There isn't anything I love more than a smooth, quiet troll on a trout pond at 6 a.m. or in the evening casting to lunker bass. I have been kayak fishing for about five years now. At one time I never would have considered putting a trolling motor on. But once you start tinkering with a kayak for use as a fishing platform, you really start wondering what the limits are for both your boat and your technique. I have installed a fishfinder, rod holders and tweaked the rig quite a bit over the years, When I moved to Otsego County from Franklin County two years ago, I went from fishing primarily for trout and salmon on small ponds and lakes to fishing for bass, walleye and lake trout on much bigger lakes with limited public access. The idea of a trolling motor, to be used in conjunction with paddles, is appealing because I think it would be easier to cruise through areas that hold fish and cast to them. It is a juggling act to do this and paddle at the same time, especially when there is some wind. Also, I have developed a downrigging system for my kayak that has allowed me to catch fish as deep as 100 feet. But working the system and paddling in a stiff breeze more commonly found on bigger lakes can get, well, interesting. In conjunction with a trolling motor as well as using the paddles, I feel this method of fishing could become much more efficient, allowing me the opportunity to catch more and bigger fish. As far as weight goes, I have taken my kayak on camping trips where I have had about 100 pounds of extra gear on the boat. I weigh about 160, so I am well within the limits of the craft with a battery and motor.

I recommend trying it, you just might get hooked

JerryofWNY

• Get involved with your local club!
I'll bet if you just go to the DMV and explain your situation, they will give you a form to fill out and you can register it on the spot. That is if you go to a smaller location rather than to an office in an urban area. I know the local office in Warsaw has cordial folks working there who know their job is to help you to accomplish your purpose for visiting the DMV that day. Unlike those in a nearby urban area where it seems the employees think their job is to sit on a stool and cause the customer more confusion then they had when they walked in the door.
"Most folks are just about as happy as they make up their minds to be."....Abe Lincoln

muskyman2

I added a trolling motor to my kayak 2 years ago.  A DEC officer stopped we while shore fishing so I asked him about the trolling motor for my kayak and his guidance was if it is powered by anything other than a person then it had to be registered to put on the trolling motor.  DMV will want a VIN number and where I got my kayak had to tell me where to find it on my kayak, so the VIN + bill of sale + trip to DMV got me all I needed.  The clerk at DMV was puzzled, but her supervisor took care of everything. 

Muskyman2

muskyman2

BTW - I also added two outriggers to my cobra explorer.  So the outriggers for balance plus the troller motor work well.  Also, a deep cycle battery is pretty heavy, but if you downsize it to a deep cycle wheelchair battery which are about 1/4 the weight of a standard deep cycle battery and hold a pretty good charge you will have a nice outfit.  There is a great site on kayak fishing run by some very helpful folks in NJ.  It is a pretty big industry on the West Coast.

Muskyman2

badlab1

As far as showing ownership for the craft, go on the DMV web-site at look at form MV-51-B.. This may help you out some. If the boat is older than 1987 you won't have a title anyway in NYS-- just a transferrable registration.  If there is a serial # on the kayak, they'll ask that you trace it onto a piece of paper. Do this by placing the paper over the # and gently go over it with a pencil until the #'s show up on the paper. Hope this helps some.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.