FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Walleyes in Lake Ontario Bays  (Read 1454 times)

RigorMortis

Walleyes in Lake Ontario Bays
« on: May 12, 2007, 08:21 PM »
I'll be targeting night time 'eyes from shore the week before Memorial Day.  The Oswego program is getting old.  I still get a few now and then, so I know they're still there.  It just isn't what it used to be.  Anyone having any success in the bays along the south shore (Sodus, Port, Fair Haven, etc.)?  I hear the bait is blitzing the shoreline and the inshore fishing is tough.  With things a couple of weeks behind this spring, any guesses on whether the bait will still be inshore then?  Being stuck on shore, if the bait isn't around, I'll probably stick to the river program.  Also, any favorite lures/rigs for targeting 'eyes in the river during the day besides dredging bottom in the holes with nightcrawlers?  I'm open to any suggestions, especially a program the sheepies aren't too keen on!  Thanks.

BAZOOKAJOE

Re: Walleyes in Lake Ontario Bays
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 08:47 AM »
Walk/troll big rapalas from the walkways on the oswego river or bottom bounce worms/leeches (at night).  Catching an eye in sodus/port bay is more of a luck thing.  Not very consistent from what i hear.  Sometimes guys get a bonus catch while bullhead fishing.

iceplank

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 12:19 PM »
Night fishin off the mouth of tributaries with plugs is usually hot but it has been horrible in the western part of the lake so far. Smithwich rogues /.rapalas

RigorMortis

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 11:29 AM »
Thanks for the reply, guys.  I'll probaby be bouncing around the south shore this coming week, checking out some of the old reliable spots and some new ones, too.  Couple more questions: was wondering what the water temp has been in the Oswego River and the harbor, as well as some of the nearby bays.  Also, I have fished both sides of the river north of the 104 bridge, but have always done much better on the west side.  Do most people stick with the same program on the east side (big plugs just under the surface), or is intermediate depth plugging and bottom bouncing with jigs more productive in the deeper water?  Lastly, anybody have any luck dredging the bottom of the dropoff north of the buoys in the river? Saw the Next Bite TV guys doing pretty well in a similar scenario near Green Bay.  Thought someone may have tried this in the deeper river/harbor channel.  Thanks for all your help...

iceplank

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 12:27 PM »
fished north of the bouys hard many time and got slapped. always got the fish on the west shore wall walkin or castin along the jettys out in front in a boat. I stay away from oswego now days to much of a zoo for me even for those slobs sized fish.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.