FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Pig & Jig?  (Read 5761 times)

chrisfrank

Pig & Jig?
« on: Apr 11, 2004, 06:57 PM »
I always hear good things about pig & jig but never have any luck with them.  Anyone catch with them on a regular basis?   what jig & pig combos do you like?

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
Re: Pig & Jig?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 11, 2004, 08:54 PM »
Yep, CF, they work very well.  There are several good combos.  For smallmouth, I like a black hair jig in either 1/8 or 1/4 ounce with a #101 black pork frog.  Works well in lakes and in rivers.  It's well known that this combo works well in cold water, but what most folks don't know is that it works well all of the time.

For largemouth, I like a rubber skirted jig in black and chartreuse with a black and chartreuse #11 pork frog.  You can vary the size jig and pork trailer depending on the type of water and cover that you are fishing.  Use heavier to "flip", a bit lighter to pitch or cast.  This is a big fish bait.  You might not catch a lot of fish on it (but you can sometimes), but it is a big fish bait. 

Plastic trailers work well on both types of jigs, but use plastic after the water reaches 50 degrees, before that, use pork.  That is the common concensus, and my experiences have also shown that pork works better in the cold, but maybe that is just because I'm more confident with pork.  There are times when plastics work well even in cold water though.  In tidal water, I've had some pretty decent days on it when pork didn't seem to work well.

SuperX2

• Giv'em The One Four
« Reply #2 on: Apr 12, 2004, 06:18 AM »
1/4 oz Bitsy Flip with a Zoom swimmin chunk. Black and blue or just plain black. It's a nice small package that catches alot of fish for me. Works great in high pressure area too. I have found using smaller jigs I get alot of bites that I used to miss with the biger jigs. The fish are still very nice size.

devil-man

« Reply #3 on: Apr 12, 2004, 10:07 PM »
Last year I caught more pike on a jig'n'pig than bass.
And I was targeting bass.

I use Berkley products.

SuperX2

• Giv'em The One Four
« Reply #4 on: Apr 13, 2004, 08:31 AM »
I was getting anywhere from 1-4 walleyes every time out also with the jig&pig. 

Browntrout08

« Reply #5 on: Apr 14, 2004, 04:24 PM »
Like SuperX2, I also prefer a 1/4 oz itsbitsy jig with a zoom chunk.  I mostly use white jigs with junebug trailers.  I also agree with SuperX2 about small sizes and detecting more strikes.  Even if I'm fishing 20ft of water with no wind, Ill use this set up.  I use that jig about 85% of the time.  I will only use heavier jigs when its windy.   You can swim the jig, bounce it off the bottom, and fish close to cover.  I catch alot more bigger bass since I started using jig and pigs.

SuperX2

• Giv'em The One Four
« Reply #6 on: Apr 16, 2004, 04:34 AM »
The jig is the Hog lure. I get alot of 50 + days using it too so it's not just a 5 bite a day lure.  It all depends on color and size but for the most part it is in the top 5 choices for me to use on any given day.  The bitsy bug is great in High pressure areas that see all the other BIG stuff all day. What I have found though is the Bitsy Flip is a much betterand stronger version to use. The regular bitsy doesn't hold up well and the hooks always bend out of shape for me after two big hogs.  Not a problem with the flip.

gillmaniac

• I Don't Go Fishing, I Go Catching!!!
« Reply #7 on: Jul 08, 2005, 10:52 AM »
I never take one off my line. i love to use them.

gill
I am a maniac for gills!!!!

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #8 on: Jul 08, 2005, 02:25 PM »
I rely on jig'n'pig for 70% of my bass.  I prefer lunker lure rattleback jigs from 1/4 to 1/2 oz. , to which i use a zoom super chunk trailer.  I use heavier jigs for deeper water, 1/4 for 1-5 feet, 3/8 for 3-7 feet, 1/2 for over 7 feet deep.  Black, black/blue, black/red, pumpkinseed, and brown are the only colors you need, and really, black just always works...its what i have on most of the time.

gillmaniac

« Reply #9 on: Jul 10, 2005, 09:14 AM »
I rely on jig'n'pig for 70% of my bass.  I prefer lunker lure rattleback jigs from 1/4 to 1/2 oz. , to which i use a zoom super chunk trailer.  I use heavier jigs for deeper water, 1/4 for 1-5 feet, 3/8 for 3-7 feet, 1/2 for over 7 feet deep.  Black, black/blue, black/red, pumpkinseed, and brown are the only colors you need, and really, black just always works...its what i have on most of the time.
im goin to a lake today that we fish all day and catch them like crazy. I probaly will have some tourney entries tonight when i get back.

gill

Mackdaddy21

« Reply #10 on: Jul 11, 2005, 09:55 PM »
I have caught a few bass on them but usually I look to other presentations. However when bass are in really nasty cover and in a sluggish mood, a fat jig with an uncle josh pork frog can bring out some hogs.
What are your experiences with pork trailers versus plastic ones?

bigredfishing

« Reply #11 on: Jul 11, 2005, 10:14 PM »
I've been using plastic trailers for a few years now.  I really have not found that pork catches me any more fish...even during the colder months...and plastic is much easier to use.  The thing with plastic trailers is that you have to use quality ones, zoom superchunks, super soft hand pours, and zoom fat albert twin tails.

gillmaniac

« Reply #12 on: Jul 11, 2005, 10:28 PM »
I've been using plastic trailers for a few years now.  I really have not found that pork catches me any more fish...even during the colder months...and plastic is much easier to use.  The thing with plastic trailers is that you have to use quality ones, zoom superchunks, super soft hand pours, and zoom fat albert twin tails.
Ive always used plastic trailers expecially zoom swimmin chunk but ive started using yum chunk trailers also.

gill

G.Horne

« Reply #13 on: Jul 20, 2005, 06:31 AM »
I always have a jig tied on. Most of the time I use a 3/8oz blk/blu with a blu pork. Sometimes I downsize to a 1/4oz or 1/8oz if the fish want a slower fall and smaller bait. Brown/orange or greens works good too.  I use them in all situations from pitchting weeds or under trees to working deep weedlines. Here are some nice jig fish, part of a 25+lbs limit we got 1st and lunker for it.

bigredfishing

« Reply #14 on: Jul 20, 2005, 08:45 AM »
ghorne, how many fish for that 25lbs+ limit?  Very impressive.   :thumbup_smilie:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.