FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Ultralite Spinning Suggestions  (Read 3851 times)

knurren

• What of it?!
Ultralite Spinning Suggestions
« on: Mar 04, 2008, 09:38 AM »
I'm looking to buy my first ultralite set up and was looking for some suggestions of what you've found works and doesn't work.

I plan to use this primarily to fish remote parts of streams and rivers where I'll need to hike in.  Brook and brown trout are my primary focus.  I need a rod that is durable and short, those are my two major concerns.  I prefer to avoid ceramic eyes which can crack and damage the line.

The second thing I need is a good reel.  I'd like to have two spools, one set up with 2lb and the second set up with 4lb test.  The spinning reel I use now has the quick cast trigger, and I'd like the new reel to have the same.  They've become hard to find.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Live free or die trying.

RickTheRock

Re: Ultralite Spinning Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: Mar 05, 2008, 09:08 PM »
I prefer the Shakespeare ugly stick combo. I have the same rod and reel as the one. Very pleased with the action of this set up. A great price to get started with ( I have been using mine for at least 6 years and I don't think I am going to change). The quick cast trigger doesn't work very good with that light of line and will be hard to find in an ultrlite reel. Just my opinion

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=140191255364&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=004

Hope it helps you out,
Rock

knurren

• What of it?!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 2008, 10:06 AM »
Thanks, Rock.  I found a small shimano spinning reel with the trigger I was looking for at LL Bean.  $29.99, not too bad, pricewise.  Plus I'm partial to Shimano since the reel I've been using for the last 10 years is a Shimano.  I haven't fished line lighter than 6lb on it, so I don't know how the trigger is going to work for me yet.

I'll have to check out the ugle stick.  That was one consideration.

Live free or die trying.

cdc

« Reply #3 on: Apr 04, 2008, 08:24 AM »
I'm parcal to the St.Croix rods.
 If you can afford it I'd go for the 5' ul premier rod.($80)
It's one piece 2-4lb test. Match that up with a good Shimano real.
 It will be your go to rod.
Here is a link to the St.Croix site....
http://www.stcroixrods.com/rods/default2.asp?rodname=36&section=spin

Here is a link for a Shimano Spirex real with the quick cast...($60)
http://fish.shimano.com/catalog/fish/products/group_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302036682&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395181270&CONTENT%3C%3Ecnt_id=10134198673251740&bmUID=1207315509731

BoutTime

« Reply #4 on: Mar 19, 2010, 01:06 PM »
Shakespeare Microspins are pretty durable and the 4'6" is simply great in my opinion.

Cork handle, hook keeper and polished aluminum eyes too.

fishermantim4

« Reply #5 on: Mar 19, 2010, 01:14 PM »
the ugly stick would be good for hiking. their durable. using that light of line, i wouldnt cheap out on the reel, need a good drag to play the fish on the light line, the rod will help, but being that it is shorter it wont absorb as much of the fight
"there's no fish in this ditch!"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.