FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Old School Lake Trout Fishing  (Read 14561 times)

Issiah

Old School Lake Trout Fishing
« on: Apr 08, 2008, 08:07 PM »
A friend of mine has a short stout rod with a big reel on it that looks kinda like a center pin fly reel. He said his Grandfather & father use to fish lead core off it; by slowing drifting / trolling along and jigging it.  I spooled it with Lead core began moving along and "Pumping" the spoon, but the lead line kept snapping from the jigging????  Anyone have any ideas on how to do this without constantly snapping the line.  Maybe i'd be better off with copper wire??   

oldtown42

Re: Old School Lake Trout Fishing
« Reply #1 on: Apr 08, 2008, 08:11 PM »
How deep were you and what pound test was the lead? Did you have a leader on? The copper gets it down good but has its own issues with kinking up.

UPSTATE

« Reply #2 on: Apr 08, 2008, 08:17 PM »
1.) Get better lead core 2.) Dont jig it like your trying to hook set the lock ness  ;) ...... I tink you are just having line issues experiment to find what works best  for your set up ...... :tipup: :tipup:
just tryin to get her done

Issiah

« Reply #3 on: Apr 08, 2008, 08:32 PM »
It was a light / small diameter lead line;  think if I beefed up the weight / diameter of the lead it wouldn't break?  Any suggestions on line to use, poundwise or brand?

I was fishing 50 - 70 feet of water.  Stuff is kinda of expensive to play around with much :-\

troutaddict33

« Reply #4 on: Apr 08, 2008, 08:51 PM »
that was kinda crazy the lead core was breaking... ive always done primarily copper for lakers and save the lead core for rainbows/browns once they move to "deep" parts of ponds/lakes that are significantly shallower than where i fish lakers. I like copper because it gets down better than lead and if you were gonna spend the money ide get copper even though it does have its problems with kinks. I'm really partial/opinionated to using copper though for some reason.

Flash_King

« Reply #5 on: Apr 09, 2008, 10:43 AM »
used a similar method in the northeast kingdom of vermont, 27-50lb leadcore with 18in of 30-40lb mono leader attach a sutton spoon and drift bouncing the spoon off the bottom with the line in your hand after setting the hook switch over to your rod or hanlind those lakers up

Issiah

« Reply #6 on: Apr 09, 2008, 05:32 PM »
Maybe the line was breaking cause I was using the pole to "Jig" instead of my hand?
Anyone find this method to be very productive??

oldtown42

« Reply #7 on: Apr 09, 2008, 10:12 PM »
It sounds like your line is bad. The copper works good, get a work glove ;)

Issiah

« Reply #8 on: Apr 10, 2008, 04:52 PM »
The Line was brand new! It was only like 18# though. I'm gonna try heavy lead core with just my hand & see if that works; sounds like it will.

Thanks for the advice guys.  I'll let you know how I do with it...

Litchfield Fisher

• maine brookie
« Reply #9 on: Apr 12, 2008, 12:46 PM »
we had the same problem for a while with our lead core breaking we were into some fish on the finder that were huge when our rod bent double  as I picked up the rod and gave a good hook set the line snapped then happend again the next day on brand new line come to find out we could grab the line in our hands and break it returned that stuff quick and I do not think the store clerk was to pleased afterwards ethier as we were set up on some of the best ishing of the year when it happened so try new line

rayfrommaine

« Reply #10 on: Apr 13, 2008, 06:30 AM »
somebody already asked, but are you using a leader?

Litchfield Fisher

• maine brookie
« Reply #11 on: Apr 13, 2008, 07:06 AM »
somebody already asked, but are you using a leader?

that could be another point if you are using a leader and not attaching it with a good swivel the line could be twisting and weaking

Issiah

« Reply #12 on: Apr 13, 2008, 09:49 AM »
Yes, I was using a leader. Used a regular ole Barrel swivel to connect the Lead to the mono.

Litchfield Fisher

• maine brookie
« Reply #13 on: Apr 13, 2008, 10:08 AM »
Yes, I was using a leader. Used a regular ole Barrel swivel to connect the Lead to the mono.
yah I would try new line then

Issiah

« Reply #14 on: Apr 13, 2008, 10:44 AM »
Anyone have a brand & # test they would reccomend?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.