FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: How do "you"fish for rainbows and browns  (Read 8929 times)

frog11

How do "you"fish for rainbows and browns
« on: Apr 15, 2008, 05:34 AM »
I only started fishing for rainbows and browns in a clear lake last year.I do have a trolling motor. How do "you" fish for browns and rainbows in a lake? How are your rods or rod set up? If trolling what is the speed zone to be in? Can you let out a few colors of leadcore line  or do you just use monofiliment? Please tell me how you catch them from the rigging of your pole, to the lures or baits you use,anything you can tell me would help me alot, thank you!

pooley

• Never Forget!!!!
Re: How do "you"fish for rainbows and browns
« Reply #1 on: Apr 15, 2008, 06:01 AM »
hey frog. i use 7ft ugly stiks, in-line planner boards, down riggers, fish seekers, and flat lines for browns. stickbaits like rapalas and smithwick rattling rogues early season, when they are shallow. flutter spoons like suttons, and other spoons like r&r spoons off my fish seekers or down riggers. i never had luck with leadcore. i use stren clear mono, not clear/blue. i troll around 2 mph with fish seekers, as they work best at that speed, and vary my speed when not using them. here is a pic of the fish seekers, and the chart they come with.

good luck! ;D

take a kid fishing!official b-breaker of N.Y.R.C.

frog11

« Reply #2 on: Apr 15, 2008, 06:50 AM »
hey pooley are the fish seekers better than the jet diver's?  I used jet diver's when they 1st came out but I never caught a single fish,  lol
thanks  pooley

pooley

• Never Forget!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Apr 15, 2008, 07:03 AM »
i never used jet divers, so i can't say. the fish seekers are simple, and i even get big bass looking for the trout. ;D

Fishinwyo

• I need a bite!
« Reply #4 on: Apr 15, 2008, 05:57 PM »
I don't have a boat but i use a  Brown Trout Dressed or Rainbow Trout Dressed Panther Martin with any type of mono or braided line. I have had great deal of luck with both. I would guess that you could troll it if you really wanted to but you should troll that one really slow.
Fishing is always better when you can get sun burnt!

frog11

« Reply #5 on: Apr 17, 2008, 03:59 AM »
Thanks Fishinwyo

MasterAngler

« Reply #6 on: Apr 17, 2008, 12:28 PM »
Do you fly fish? If so sink tip lines early and late season, and full sinking lines mid summer, and floating if theres a hatch going on.  Thats all I fish is lakes for rainbows, browns, brookies, splake.

For conventional gear, you could troll flies with leadcore and do well.  Pooley covered other methods that work great too.  Even flatlineing flies on a spinning set up early season with alot of line out, maybe some split shot.  You can also try casting in prime spots with light spinning gear and a variety of small inline spinners, small spoons, and crankbaits, as well as lindy rigs with nightcrawlers.
Seven days without fishing, makes one weak.

frog11

« Reply #7 on: Apr 17, 2008, 01:08 PM »
Thanks MasterAngler you sure covered alot of information. Now when the ice goes out i'll try for rainbows and browns and maybe catch 1.  If not i'll just keep checking on this site,  I will learn how sooner or later, lol

pooley

• Never Forget!!!!
« Reply #8 on: Apr 17, 2008, 03:55 PM »
look at the thread on lake clear wabblers.

frog11

« Reply #9 on: Apr 17, 2008, 05:15 PM »
pooley thanks.

pooley

• Never Forget!!!!
« Reply #10 on: Jun 05, 2008, 11:01 AM »
hey frog! hows the fishing been? i'm doing ok down here.

rpc55

• aka "Bonehead"
« Reply #11 on: Jun 05, 2008, 01:35 PM »
I troll with a fly pole with a full sinking line tipped with 6# fluorocarbon about 20 ft long. I have a reel with a drag. The line gets down around 7 to 10 ft. If I want to go deeper I swap the spool with a lead core setup.  In the spring nothing beats sewn smelts. Streamer fly's also work very well when the water warms to about 50 to 55 deg. F. When the weather warms up in the summer I bring out the downrigger and a mono setup and will troll with streamer fly's or small lures like the DB smelt or mooselook wobbler, or the Sutton spoon. Sewn smelts are trolled very slow around 0.6 to 1.2 mph. Lures are around 1.5 to 3.0 mph and streamer fly's around 3.0 to 5.0 mpg. I use a hand held gps for speed.

Here are some of the fish I caught this spring with the 6 wt flypole setup just so that you know it works  ;).

7lb.  27" landlock Atlantic salmon

9.4lb. 30.5" lake trout

3lb. 22" brown trout

And I'm not done yet, rainbows and brookies are on my list. Good luck, I hope this helps. PM me if you want any more specifics.

pooley

• Never Forget!!!!
« Reply #12 on: Jun 05, 2008, 02:05 PM »
thanks bonehead. we can't use smelt in some lakes, and they don't exist down where i am. i'm not sure if anyone uses them in the adirondaks. i use suttons for browns, and they work great. also R&R spoons. what streamers do you use? i don't fly fish, so i need to buy some for trolling.

rpc55

• aka "Bonehead"
« Reply #13 on: Jun 05, 2008, 02:30 PM »
thanks bonehead. we can't use smelt in some lakes, and they don't exist down where i am. i'm not sure if anyone uses them in the adirondaks. i use suttons for browns, and they work great. also R&R spoons. what streamers do you use? i don't fly fish, so i need to buy some for trolling.

I use ones with tandem hooks. Lots of different patterns. Grey ghost is my favorite.

http://www.feathersideflies.com/c/t.html

pooley

• Never Forget!!!!
« Reply #14 on: Jun 05, 2008, 02:35 PM »
thanks! i'm going to look for flies tonight anyway, so i will look for something like that.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.