FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Any Deadheads out there  (Read 4570 times)

minnowreaper

Any Deadheads out there
« on: Jun 17, 2008, 12:35 PM »
Hey now,any heads out there,if so where you from?First show,favorite song,favorite venue?Mine was in Philly in 85 dont remember much though,went to about a 100 between 85 and 92 after that,then life kind of caught up with me.Love the dead station on sat. radio,my favorite song is probably scarlett/fire but there are so many to choose its hard to say.Alpine valley takes it for yearly venues,but Telluride,Co. wins for a special one time only shows.Now i still go to Phil and Ratdog shows when life allows but i sure miss the old days.So if anyones out there lets hear from you.Fish on ;D

Jimmy

• "Fish Till Ya' Puke"
Re: Any Deadheads out there
« Reply #1 on: Jun 17, 2008, 02:18 PM »
Deadhead for the long haul...  It always seems to amaze me how many Jerry fans are out there fishing...

I added a line from "Scarlet Begonia" to most of my forum profiles- and it's become common to get a note of appreciation and invites to fish...  Funny how that happens...

Favorite shows were the Albany run back in 1990 that ended up as "Dozing at the Knick"...  Last shows were Denver and Las Vegas back in 1995... 

I sure miss Jerry... 
"Once in awhile you get shown the light...  In the strangest of places if you look at it right..."    -J. Garcia

Jimmy

• "Fish Till Ya' Puke"
« Reply #2 on: Jun 17, 2008, 02:22 PM »
By the way...  "Scarlet > Fire" is my fave too...  The best version out there HAS to be Copps Colliseum in Hamilton, Ontario back on 3.22.90... 

If you haven't checked out www.archive.org yet, you need to...  Every show is on there for free- and multiple copies of most shows will full reviews on sound quality, etc...  The sheer volume of free music on that site is AMAZING...

You know Jerry used to fish as a kid?  He cut his finger off while on a camping trip with his parents, I think...  His dad was a fly fisherman...  And Robert Hunter fished a ton up at his ranch in Wyoming...

It's hard to beat trolling on a summers evening with Jerry wailing away on my CD player...  Fortunately it happens nearly every night on my lake...

Hey Now!
"Once in awhile you get shown the light...  In the strangest of places if you look at it right..."    -J. Garcia

eyedoktr

« Reply #3 on: Jun 17, 2008, 03:42 PM »
I can't remember how many times I saw them. There are too many great songs to pick a favorite. I can't remember which concert was my favorite.

The band I do the sound for does a few Dead songs and they are always a hit with the crowd.

When I grow my beard (most winters), I am often called "Jerry" by my friends and even by those who don't know me. Even I can see the resemblance.

Aiko, Aiko
Pete Lewis

Issiah

« Reply #4 on: Jun 17, 2008, 03:57 PM »
Was completely blown away by the Dead in High School. I'm probably a bit younger than you guys so my time with the band was much shorter.  It was a real eye opener!  Too many favorites to pick just one, but Dark Star & The Other One are definitely high on my list. Favorite show was my 1st 6-6-92 @ Rich Stadium.  Still have my tickets for the fall tour of 95'; they actually came in the mail the day Jerry passed away :(   Traveled with the "Dead" after Jerry all over the country but it just wasn't the same.  I know this might spark some comments that I won't like; but I was turned on to Phish @ the same time and Saw lots of shows all over the Country. I remember seeing them in the School gym when I was 16 and by the time it was over they were playin to 80,000 people every summer in Maine. The Gorge in Washington was probably my Favorite Venue. Red Rocks in CO & Alpine Valley in WI were great too. I had some great times back then that are beyond words...

Had some incredible times back then but things moved "Furthur" & fishing, hunting & trapping is my passion now.

If any you guys are looking for shows (On Tape) I may have them. Aquired quite an extensive collection over the years (Both Bands)...LOL..What head didn't?

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
« Reply #5 on: Jun 17, 2008, 06:39 PM »
I tell people about seeing Phish in the school gym all the time Issiah, I get weird looks.

Saw The Dead once and I wouldn't go as far as to say I'm a deadhead, but I definately a big fan of there tunes. I know they're a couple of their more "radio songs" but Touch of Gray and Freind of the Devil have always been my favs.

I was always into what is now " the old school Metal " like Iron Maiden, Metallica ect .  But on the same token I like to kick back and listen to the Dead, Skynard, even David Allan Coe, good music, is good music....
We were biting this morning, we were biting this morning, we were biting this morning......

Issiah

« Reply #6 on: Jun 17, 2008, 08:17 PM »
LOL, Seriously...

04/20/93 Colgate College  04/08/94 Penn State 

Friends Saw em at Hamilton College that's how I found out about em'

I Still have ticket from the Colgate Show; there was a couple hundred there Tops
I was sitting next to fishman's drums during the break!

OTIS

« Reply #7 on: Jun 18, 2008, 07:55 AM »
Seen 36 shows between 86 and when Jerry died in 95.  Seen a few JGB shows as well.  Jerry was definitely the driving force behind GD.  I really don't have any desire to see ratdog, or Phil.  I think RFK was my favorite place to see them, lots of good memories.  I never seen a bad show though.  I like Jerry's song "Days Between", but there are too many to choose from.  Got to meet Jerry out in Hawaii.  He was a pretty laid back guy.
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

Jimmy

• "Fish Till Ya' Puke"
« Reply #8 on: Jun 18, 2008, 08:12 AM »
Hey Now!

It's funny how much a thread like this can make me smile on a dreary Wednesday morning in Upstate New York...

It's also nice to know that there are more than a few guys out there who still enjoy hearing "Uncle Jerry" now that the big man has gone up to the Betty Ford Clinic In The Sky...  I don't think we'll see a genuine frontman like Jerry for a long, long time...  I catch Phil when I can (he and Trey blew the roof off the Glens Falls Civic Center last Fall) and also a lot of Warren Haynes and Gov't Mule...  Warren's got a pretty deep reverence for "all things Jerry" and seems to be taking up the slack left in Jerry's absence...

Warren plays with EVERYBODY- and it's great to see so many musicians keeping the great music alive...

Don't sweat the Phish comments...  I've always been far partial to Jerry and the Boys (really no comparison- apples and oranges, as they say) but caught plenty of Phish shows...  First being the Union College Hockey Rink in Schenectady back in '90...  Rode that train all the way up to the New Years 2000 blowout down in the Everglades...

I wish there was a website just for Deadhead Anglers! 

minnowreaper

« Reply #9 on: Jun 18, 2008, 10:17 AM »
Well its great to hear from you guys its nice to know im not the only one out here.We should ask one of the mods if they could add a wharf rat spot on here if enough of us show up ;D 

Jimmy

• "Fish Till Ya' Puke"
« Reply #10 on: Jun 18, 2008, 10:22 AM »
"Row Jimmy and The Other Ones..."

BottomDweller

• team wyoming
« Reply #11 on: Jun 18, 2008, 11:11 AM »
i love fishing to some good tunes, but my redneck fishing buddies will never appreciate the Dead. 
--~~as long as it's just a slow leak... i'm not worried~~--

--~~softwater pirates afloat on wyoming's high seas~~--

Issiah

« Reply #12 on: Jun 18, 2008, 11:50 AM »
To each their own; The world would be a boring place if we all thought the same & had the same tastes...

BottomDweller

• team wyoming
« Reply #13 on: Jun 18, 2008, 12:19 PM »
...First show,favorite song,favorite venue?...

i'm from Wyoming, where John Barlow hailed from. 

unfortunately became a fan right about the time Garcia died, so never made it to a show.  i think my favorite song might be Touch of Grey

but, yes, i did get into Phish, and saw them a few times - i saw some good shows at some good venues, but i would have liked to see them at Red Rocks or the Gorge.  my favorite Phish show i actually was at was when they came back from a few-month hiatus, 7/28/98 Sandstone Amphitheatre, Bonner Springs, KS.  they introduced the crowd to the new songs from their coming album Story of the Ghost.  it was pretty sweet.
--~~as long as it's just a slow leak... i'm not worried~~--

--~~softwater pirates afloat on wyoming's high seas~~--

Jimmy

• "Fish Till Ya' Puke"
« Reply #14 on: Jun 18, 2008, 12:20 PM »
So true...

Heck, if EVERYONE loved Jerry I would probably had held a different opinion of him!

But it's funny and refreshing to know that there are lots of guys out there who love the Dead and love to Fish...

It's a helluva' combination, and I am convinced that the Smallmouth bite always turns on when I crank up "Cassidy" or "Looks Like Rain"...  I think they must like that bass line or something!  Ha!

"I understand why the old fisherman, sails alone, sails alone, sails alone..."   JGB

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.