FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Brandon Sun " Pelican Lake"  (Read 4230 times)

big walleye

• Retired MFF Mod
Brandon Sun " Pelican Lake"
« on: Apr 29, 2004, 08:40 PM »
Hey everyone there will be a follow up article in tommorrow's Brandon sun regarding the huge winter kill on Pelican Lake. It is bad. Huge Pike and piles of perch are showing up on the shoreline. This just makes me so mad. What a loss. If anyone wants me to write the article on the forum just let me know.
Fishing,Hockey,Beer  is all man needs to survive!!!<br />

grumpymoe

Re: Brandon Sun " Pelican Lake"
« Reply #1 on: Apr 29, 2004, 08:51 PM »
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!! >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( grrrrrrrrrrrump >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( well aaron???

lake_357

« Reply #2 on: Apr 29, 2004, 09:11 PM »
 >:( >:( YES PLEASE POST IN IN HERE BIG WALLEYE WE IN WINNIPEG CANT GET IT HERE AND WOULD LIKE TO SEE IT

THANK -YOU

LAKE357
excuses are like asses everybody has one and they all stink

Ashnohgrimbatul

« Reply #3 on: Apr 30, 2004, 02:20 AM »
Yeah, do it up.  I definitely won't get it here in Pinawa.  Thanks in advance.

mrhook

• Fishing Fin-Addict!
« Reply #4 on: Apr 30, 2004, 04:14 PM »
Gotta see it Big Walleye! Just such a shame! >:( >:( >:(
teach a man to fish and he'll play with his fly all day!

big walleye

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #5 on: Apr 30, 2004, 09:53 PM »
[Mr. hook I just spent the last 15 minutes typing this article but I guess you only have a certain amount of time to post. It would not allow me as I ran out of time. I will think of another way or get someone to type it that is faster than I am. :(

mrhook

• Fishing Fin-Addict!
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2004, 05:49 PM »
Just an idea, but you could email it to me. Or cut and paste on the post? ??? ??? ???

big walleye

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2004, 08:38 PM »
[Great minds think alike. I just sent it to you mrhook. Let me know if you received it.

lake_357

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2004, 10:15 PM »
well I just read one of the worst news articles i think i ever have!!!

I cant believe that people that have a benifit from good fish populations would be so nonshalant about the death of a lake. They should be concerned that the most of the fish in the beach were suckers because they are the bottom feeders you know the ones that keep the lake clean. any how I have said my piece just really pisses me off. some one should check the e-coli levels in that lake this summer when all the kids will be swimming(not my kids) and then ask if that lake would be healthier with an areation system to keep all those decaying fish alive. >:( >:( >:(

Bushman

• Fish from sun up to sun down
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2004, 10:52 PM »
Hey big walleye, take it to work scan it, then email it home and post it that way it may be easier. I didnt read the artical and I would like to.
True north strong and free

big walleye

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2004, 08:47 PM »
Your so right lake _357. The words I want to write at this point would get me banned. last spring when I went to Kerr's lake the normally clear water was stained and did it ever stink. Pelican will be the same. Why? Because of our f"""g government. I pitty the town of Ninette however someone should of had the b""s to step up to the plate. It states in past years it had an aeration pump. Where in the hell did it go? A buddy of mine just told me a lake by the name of Little jack fish beside Minnedosa has also died. Let's see here. Four lakes at last count. Does anyone care now???? >:( >:( >:(

lake_357

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2004, 08:53 PM »
Hey guy's here is the article that was printed in the Brandon sun.and sent to me by Big Walleye

RM wants province to pay for dead fish clean-up

One Pelican lake resident is glad the " thousands and thousands of dead fish" have been cleared off the beach near his home.
" The smell of it was so bad you couldn't stand to be down here," says Dwight Sutherland,about the long lake which lies southeast of Brandon.
Sutherland has lived on, and worked at ,the lake's southeast-end Pleasant valley Golf Club for the last seven years. This is the second time he's seen such a winter kill of fish.

Westman anglers started seeing dead fish float up through their holes in the ice toward the end of winter. Oak,Pelican, and Max lakes reported low oxygen levels. This was the result of an early freeze-up,low water levels and high snow cover.
At the beginning of this week,about five days after the dead fish began washing up on shore,three Rural Municipality of Strathcona employees spent one and a half days cleaning up the southeast beach.

Sutherland saw the workers take away four to five tandem truckloads of mostly suckers.

Now that the smell is gone,he's no longer concerned about the situation.
RM of Strathcona reeve Bob Wood is not concerned about the kill,since he says the lake has experienced this before and it's a natural cycle,but he does want Manitoba Conservation to pick up the tab.
"We're going to send them the bill," says Wood.
With a hearty laugh ,he admits he doesn't expect to see a dime.
Wood explains the province should pay for the clean-up because they are the ones who bring in revenue through fishing licenses.
Two weeks ago,his council sent a letter to the same ministry,requesting an aeration system which could provide the necessary oxygen required to keep the fish alive throughout the winter.

In past years,the Pelican Lake Community Corp. has received provincial funding to purchase and operate aeration equipment. It did not operate this year.
" I think there should be aeration system put in and I don't think it should be up to the municipalities either", says Wood ,adding this should be provincially funded.

He admits there are some people who are concerned about the situation and that high fish populations draw visitors to the area.
" We're certainly concerned about it but it's not within our control," says Susan Lamont ,rural municipality of Riverside chief administrative officer.
"It's not unusual that in winter there would be a fish kill."

The RM of Riverside touches the lake's northwest shore and volunteers recently cleaned up bag fulls of the fish.
The Fish and Lake Improvement Program for the Parkland Region (FLIPPR) works to aerate lakes to keep fish numbers healthy and attract anglers from throughout North America.
"It's a natural cycle and the only way to end it would be aeration.," says FLIPPR field operations manager Bob Sheedy,about Pelican Lake's situation.
He does ,however,question the benefits such a system would have on Pelican lake,which is large,shallow and contains high nitrate levels. A certain depth is necessary to achieve a high velocity and current.
Sheedy is concerned ,however,that most of the washed-up fish are suckers. Other pelican lake fish ,such as jack fish and perch,require more oxygen and consequently would have perished earlier in the winter and sunk to the lake's bottom,he says.

Well that is it for the story. It makes me sick. Even if not all could be saved the aeration would of saved some which is better than nothing. Hopefully this story opens up some eyes. Take care guy's.

Big Walleye

Aaron Wiebe

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2004, 06:39 AM »
well aaron???
? well what ?

mrhook

• Fishing Fin-Addict!
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2004, 08:27 PM »
Thanks again Big Walleye, I got it >:( >:( >:( Just makes you soooooo mmmaaaaddddd! I wish for once people would wake up and smell the coffee!!!!!!!!!

big walleye

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2004, 09:25 PM »
Not a problem Mr. Hook.. Hopefully some fish survived.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.