FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 09 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD BS Thread  (Read 418920 times)

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
Re: 09 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD BS Thread
« Reply #720 on: Jul 22, 2009, 08:58 AM »
Most of the time I would just leave . Actually the area I used to fish a lot.... most off the people fishing there were great which was the reason we all fished there.
      I'm fine with a snagging if its in a designated area. I realize that the handy capable people should be able to catch a salmon too. I mean I've seen people who couldn't snag a salmon with treble hook in small creeks.... where you could see the fish !!! I'm good with it. This is how the sign should read......  This area is designated for anglers who ate way to many lead paint chips when they were kids. This argument is a waste of time... here I was thinking I would pull out the 11 foot loomis 2#. after all these years this place still rubs me the wrong way.              

YEP JUST LIKE SO MANY  CAN'T ADMITT A MISTAKE HAS BEEN MADE AND WHEN YOU CAN'T BACK UP YOUR STATEMENTS YOU THROW INSULTS ..... VERY UNSPORTSMEN LIKE AND UNEDUCATED  EVERYTHING  FROM  THE PAST FISHERY TO THE PURE ECONIMICS  OF THIS SUBJECT THAT I STATED ARE TRUE AND ARE BACKED  BY THE DATA!
 BEING A SPORTSMEN ISN'T ALWAYS  ABOUT  BUYING A LOOMIS OR  ST CROIX ...(I USE A SAGE MYSELF) GETTING A PAIR OF WADERS AND A VESTFROM ORVIS , IT'S ABOUT LOOKING AT WHAT WOULD  BENFIT THE MOST PEOPLE AND  BRINGING A  RIVER BACK TO LIFE, I REMIND YOU SALMON RIVER WAS ALSO A PRIME NATIVE  BROOK TROUT WATER,I WANT THAT BACK TOO...
 NOTHING SAID HERE IS TO TAKE ANYTHING AWAY FROM YOU ESOX  IT'S  TO GIVE TO OTHERS AND RESTORE A FISHERY THAT IS CLEARLY HURTING!IT'S  TO BRING BACK THE BUSISNESS THAT  HAS BEEN LOST  AFTER 30 YEARS OF  MISTAKEN MANAGEMENT  AND TO RESTORE A RIVER TO IT'S ONCE  PRISTINE PLACE.
 AT THE PREASANT RATE OF DECLINE   NO ONE WILL BE FISHING SALMON RIVER AND I HONESTLY WONDER WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU  WERE THERE?
 NO MATTER  HOW YOU LOOK AT IT  WE CAN USE THE REVINUE FROM THE  SNAGGERS  TO RESTORE THE RIVER  ,PEOPLE THAT DEPEND ON THE TOURISM DOLLARS  FOR THERE LIVELYHOODS  WOULD BE GREATLY BENFITTED THE STATE WOULD  GET A INCREASE IN LIC SALES  AND  THE  TOWN AND COUNTY  WOULD MAKE ON THE INCREASE IN SALES TAX!
 AND  HERES THE PART ESOX THAT  YOU DON'T GET  ESOX  YOU'D BE TROUTFISHING YEAR ROUND !!!!! YOU HAVE  NO IDEA WHAT KIND OF TROUT FISHERY WAS LOST THERE !!!!
 NOW  I DON'T EAT PAINT CHIPS WITH LEAD  AND I BEEN FISHING THAT RIVER FOR ABOUT 50 YEARS  SO MAYBE  THATS  WHY I HAVE A DIFFERENT VIEW THEN YOU.
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

trapper2000

« Reply #721 on: Jul 22, 2009, 09:00 AM »
65# Braid!!! Let me guess ... when you hook em you just put the rod over your shoulder and walk up the bank. That sounds like soooooo much fun . I love the guys that fish with line so heavy that they can even break it themselves.  When they snag they cut there line and it trails downstream and everyone catches on it for the rest of the season. They need to cater to more people like them up there.

I HAVE VOLUNTEERED  FOR THE SALMON RIVER CLEAN UP   MANY TIMES  ESOX  HAVE YOU?????

BAZOOKAJOE

« Reply #722 on: Jul 22, 2009, 09:16 AM »
Gaddam salmon snaggers...so easy...even a caveman can do it.   :nono:

Jimmy

• "Fish Till Ya' Puke"
« Reply #723 on: Jul 22, 2009, 09:30 AM »

Round Seven is due to begin in five minutes...  Keep it clean and come out fighting!

Or lifting, or snagging, or swinging streamers, or whatever it is you prefer to do on the river...
"Once in awhile you get shown the light...  In the strangest of places if you look at it right..."    -J. Garcia

trapper2000

« Reply #724 on: Jul 22, 2009, 09:31 AM »
lmaoooooo jimmy that was funny

Anchorman

« Reply #725 on: Jul 22, 2009, 09:37 AM »
Gaddam salmon snaggers...so easy...even a caveman can do it.   :nono:
Whats the big deal???? Is it a rite of manhood, or something to make a king strike instinctively on their deathbed?
Why should you, or anyone else care? When kings start spawning, and headed back out to the lake for another 4 year cycle, then you may have a point, until that happens, bite your tongue.
I don't have one single problem with snagging.
My problem lies with the common courtesy on the banks. When one man can give his neighbor a few moments to fight his foul-hooked fish in peace, the world will be right. And while your waiting for your neighbor to finish up, feel free to have a leaded paintchip. Esox V may have a baggie of them if you run out. ;D
Anchorman

trapper2000

« Reply #726 on: Jul 22, 2009, 10:09 AM »
question have you ever snagged a salmon????? if not then you don't know and if so  were you a caveman at the time??????????? lol  we all point fingers  bottom line look how much  we would all benfit  from a snagging season!  the impact  would greatly  increase the moneys avaliable  for  other wildlife projects!  that  70 dollar lic fee   becomes 140  bucks  with the federal  matching grant!!!!!
 the math is so easy even a caveman can do it :))

Stuck-on-Seven

« Reply #727 on: Jul 22, 2009, 12:17 PM »
I said it once i'll say it again petition petition petition  ;D

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #728 on: Jul 22, 2009, 01:37 PM »

Round Seven is due to begin in five minutes...  Keep it clean and come out fighting!

Or lifting, or snagging, or swinging streamers, or whatever it is you prefer to do on the river...

Waste my time whenever I want, with with MY WHISKEY HANGOVER! With MY WHISKEY HANGOVER! :cookoo:
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

BAZOOKAJOE

« Reply #729 on: Jul 22, 2009, 02:30 PM »
Comparison of money spent in Pulaski:

Snagging
- $25 for ocean rod/reel fully loaded with 80 lbs test
- $3 for a box of six snag hooks
- $9 case of Milwaukees best

Total $37 spent in local economy by a snagger

Fly-fishing
-$350 St Croix Fly rod/reel
-$20 Tippet
-$10 leader material
-$40 assorted flies
-$25 local bar

Total $445 spent in local economy by a fly-fisherman

$445 divided by $37 equals 12.02

In conclusion...a fly fisherman spends the same as 12 snaggers.  Must be one of the reasons they out-lawed it?   

;D

Stuck-on-Seven

« Reply #730 on: Jul 22, 2009, 02:44 PM »

Snagging

Fly-fishing
-$20 Tippet
-$10 leader material
-$40 assorted flies
-$25 local bar

In conclusion...a fly fisherman spends the same as 12 snaggers.  Must be one of the reasons they out-lawed it?   

;D

Yea but snagging would bring the snaggers in numbers and with it legal the snaggers would out number the flyfisherman 50 to 1 probably so using your numbers 37x50=1850......1850 divided by 445 = 4.16

in conclusion.....with snagging being made legal snaggers would out number the flyfisherman by 50 to 1 and spend 4 times as much money as the flyfishers....this is also considering that each flyfisherman comes to ny to buy a 350$ rod and reel....with every math problem there is always variables but it looks to me that snaggers would out number the flyfishers in numbers of people and total revenue brought to ny.......i think i might have found the reasons our awesome lawmakers made snagging illegal  :cookoo: :flag:

bunker killer

« Reply #731 on: Jul 22, 2009, 05:00 PM »
Yea but snagging would bring the snaggers in numbers and with it legal the snaggers would out number the flyfisherman 50 to 1 probably so using your numbers 37x50=1850......1850 divided by 445 = 4.16

in conclusion.....with snagging being made legal snaggers would out number the flyfisherman by 50 to 1 and spend 4 times as much money as the flyfishers....this is also considering that each flyfisherman comes to ny to buy a 350$ rod and reel....with every math problem there is always variables but it looks to me that snaggers would out number the flyfishers in numbers of people and total revenue brought to ny.......i think i might have found the reasons our awesome lawmakers made snagging illegal  :cookoo: :flag:
today on a Connecticut radio station i herd an ad  to " take a break" and come to New York and do some camping and fishing. Someone in your state is trying to bring in some new revenues

Anchorman

« Reply #732 on: Jul 22, 2009, 06:50 PM »

Snagging

Fly-fishing
-$20 Tippet
-$10 leader material
-$40 assorted flies
-$25 local bar

;D

Yeah you got all sorts of holes in your theories.
First, my snagging rig costsclose to 250.00, fully spooled up.
2nd, you left out the lead. Very expensive, since i've had to start importing from Florida. (tin is for sissys.)
3rd, how many wanna-be fly fishermen would leave the flyswatter in the garage, grab their ugly stick and join the masses for some real fun????
And the obvious, the numbers would be 10 fold with the legalization. Hell, the DSR may even start selling trebles.....anything to make a buck!!!!!!! ;D
BazookaJoe, are you by any chance a democrat?
Anchorman

esox v

« Reply #733 on: Jul 22, 2009, 07:21 PM »
I HAVE VOLUNTEERED  FOR THE SALMON RIVER CLEAN UP   MANY TIMES  ESOX  HAVE YOU?????
Nope I can honestly say I never have been involved with the salmon river clean up . If your talking about when the drift boat s drag their anchors and pull all the crap out of the water.  NO... I HAVE NOT !!! I Always have my guide basket and I always left with it full of crap. sometimes I could barley pick it up. I always clean up for me and everyone around me. Not just one time..... but every time single time I was out.  EVERY TIME !!!!!  
 When I was in college I remember picking through the pile by the paper mill because I couldn't afford anything but the gas to get me there.  I loved fishing that river every d**n hour of free time I had I would spend fishing that river. As I got older I got sick of dealing with the JERKS and walked away and never went back.  

"There is no crueler tyranny than that which is perpetrated
under the shield of law and in the name of justice."
--Charles de Montesquieu (1689-1755)
For tyranny to work some idiots are required…

The most dangerous thing any nation faces..  is a citizenry capable of trusting a liar to lead them....

trapper2000

« Reply #734 on: Jul 22, 2009, 07:31 PM »

Snagging

Fly-fishing
-$20 Tippet
-$10 leader material
-$40 assorted flies
-$25 local bar

;D

your math is a little of  first  my st croix  5 wt   cost 49 bucks at dicks!  granted my  sage  cost a little more  a goog ocean rod and reel combo pack is about the same as a combo flyrod !!!! secound  flyfisherman  do not spent much money  flys they ty  themselfs  and most  other stuff are  flyfishing  stores only !!!! don't believe  me  call the area shops that are hurting in the area !

degrading people is childish  and  to be honest poor taste  thats  not what any of my comments were  about  it was about  bringing  resources  back into the area  opening  up opertunities  to  others to enjoythemselves  and  to  reestablish a  trout  fishery in salmon river!

now  seems a  few toes got steped on because  omg  someone is telling the truth!!! truth is  99% of the legal hooked salmon in that river are lined! period thats why a 4 ft leader law  hurts! so why  lie  we all know it's true.

so you give up  49 days for a snagging season ,isn't that better then possiable  losing the whole thing?????

the end resolt would  be  econic advantages  for the area  busisness , a higher  revnew  to the state  which i remind you   those  people with 40 dollar  poles  paid  for our turkey stocking program!!!!! thats no lie !

now  you also  either  forget or  don't understand that there is a federal matching funds  for  fishing llic sold in new york  so that 70  dollars  becomes 140 this extra  money could be  used  to  improve  the water flow  back to it's original  form on the salmon river  and  again have  a health  year round trout fishery!

now another thing  i don't snag! i flyfish!!!!!  but i do do math and i want a year round fishery there  i also grew up in the ares  and  been fishing that river  almost 50 years  and i'm telling you the only  person that would say it's better now  would be  either a idiot or ted turner!!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.