FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Willow Slough  (Read 3042 times)

tanker

Willow Slough
« on: Apr 02, 2009, 09:15 AM »
Has anybody been to WS lately?   Just wondering what the conditions are.  I haven't been there since they drained it, and restocked it. ;D

SmuckBuck

• Here Kitty Kitty!
Re: Willow Slough
« Reply #1 on: Apr 03, 2009, 07:23 AM »
They were limiting out on the gills over the ice season. Should be pretty productive. Not sure if anyone has been out this year yet ???
I live with Fear and Danger everyday, but sometimes She lets me go Fishing!

walkerd

• Cherish each day you dont know when it will end!!
« Reply #2 on: Apr 10, 2009, 05:37 PM »
Went there for the first time this winter, I could not believe all the fisherman out there, when we left there was a DNR guy doing a survey on what was caught, he said he had been there for an hour and half and had checked in 2400 fish, how can that small of a lake with stand that kind of pressure. Even with a 25 limit on gills my god it cant stand much of that, I was amazed. I would like also to know if anyone is catching anything there, I would be suprised if they where.

wallin

« Reply #3 on: Apr 10, 2009, 06:02 PM »
I've fished the Slough for over 35 years on and off, I have seen it respond to the pressure very gracefully. She keeps putting out year after year. I know a few lakes down south of Terre Haute that see much more pressure that that and just keep on shining. Don't you just love it.
Keep on fishing but just take what you eat,and they'll be replenished.

Wallin
Wallin

Get_the_Net

« Reply #4 on: Apr 10, 2009, 07:51 PM »
Went there for the first time this winter, I could not believe all the fisherman out there, when we left there was a DNR guy doing a survey on what was caught, he said he had been there for an hour and half and had checked in 2400 fish, how can that small of a lake with stand that kind of pressure. Even with a 25 limit on gills my god it cant stand much of that, I was amazed. I would like also to know if anyone is catching anything there, I would be suprised if they where.

The bite must have been on fire that day!!!!!

Doing the math, that is 96 fisherman with a limit and the DNR guy checking in more than 1 fisherman in a minute.  Sounds a little fishy to me.  Wonder if the DNR guy got his numbers messed up.  I have never been there in the winter, but have seen many pics of all the fisherman.  I find it hard to beleive everyone is limiting and that the DNR guy was checking that many people that fast.  I have been checked for surveys by the DNR before and the questionaire they have filled out took several minutes everytime they have questioned me. 

camocrazy82

• Watch EM'! Watch EM'! GET EM'!
« Reply #5 on: Apr 10, 2009, 08:11 PM »
The bite must have been on fire that day!!!!!

Doing the math, that is 96 fisherman with a limit and the DNR guy checking in more than 1 fisherman in a minute.  Sounds a little fishy to me.  Wonder if the DNR guy got his numbers messed up.  I have never been there in the winter, but have seen many pics of all the fisherman.  I find it hard to beleive everyone is limiting and that the DNR guy was checking that many people that fast.  I have been checked for surveys by the DNR before and the questionaire they have filled out took several minutes everytime they have questioned me. 

If thats what he said I beleive it. Its possible they werent all Gills. Good to meet you and your windshield wiper dog at deep creek walkerd.

walkerd

• Cherish each day you dont know when it will end!!
« Reply #6 on: Apr 11, 2009, 06:55 AM »
Dude that day we where there Im not kidding you there where probably over 200 people out there or more and i would lean to the more, there where people coming and going all day long, the only other place ive seen that many people was when I was dippen smelt up by Mackanac bridge in Michigan. It should  have been in two and half hours sorry for the mistake. But I kid you not I couldnt beleive all the people, hey camo ask mm about it. There where four of us and we added our 100 to the count. Oh yes and he wasnt counting the fish, he asked how many you caught, so I guess there is a possibilty that some lied about thier catch, dont know why but, I know I talked to quite a few guys and gals that had caught thier limit of 25. there was an older gentleman that I quote"Yea I cath my limit and catch more and give them away." Unbelievable and some people dont understand why fishers go to the way side, oh well just my two cents worth is all. I for one hope it dont hurt it. Guess we will see.

camocrazy82

• Watch EM'! Watch EM'! GET EM'!
« Reply #7 on: Apr 11, 2009, 07:32 AM »
I beleive it. Ive talked to MM about it. I used to dream of going to the Slough. If it is always like that I wont go. Id rather catch a few fish all day than get into a crowd like that. To me that isnt fishin, thats a party!

crappie rob

« Reply #8 on: Apr 11, 2009, 01:08 PM »
A Larry Kay Party? :w00t: Sorry, inside joke!!! Really funny though ;D C-ya. Crappie Rob.

Shadrap

• Addicted to Fishin
« Reply #9 on: Apr 12, 2009, 08:24 PM »
I have not fished it since the drawdown but I saw something there I've never seen anywhere else before .  I saw a school of bluegill I'm guessing between a 150 and 200 fish swirling hard in a big circle like shad or perch in about 3ft of water.  I had never seen bluegill behave like this.  Did some serious yankin.  This is truly a fish factory. 

crappie rob

« Reply #10 on: Apr 13, 2009, 09:58 AM »
The "SLOUGH" has always been a bluegill factory, the first time I fished it was 1978, caught alot of 11-12"ers, I don't know if they'll get back to that size, but a 25 fish limit should help the cause. I haven't been down there yet this spring, should start picking up anytime!! C-ya. Crappie Rob.

Boomer

« Reply #11 on: Apr 13, 2009, 03:50 PM »
Some people may say that the fishing stays good because of all the fish taken. It provides more food for the younger fish to have. No overpopulation.

I would like to see the results of a lake survey and study the growth rates if the fish before I pass judgment.

One female bluegill sure can lay a lot of eggs - multiple times a year.

I would hope that if the fishing started to go down then new rules would be put into place.

fishinator

« Reply #12 on: Apr 14, 2009, 08:25 AM »
went to the slough this past saturday. tried beemoth and minnows, 1 bite thats it. very windy though, hard to keep the boat anchored.

marcum man

« Reply #13 on: Apr 15, 2009, 06:00 AM »
Walkerd is telling the truth I was with him, the fishing was fantastic, and yes there were a butt load of people on it that day, also the dnr info guy said there were monster pike in the as well.........MM

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.