FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: sink rate  (Read 2512 times)

jibbs

sink rate
« on: Jul 01, 2009, 07:16 AM »
how many take in consideration the sink rate of texas rigs or jigs.........i have really focused on using a variety of weights when running texas rigged baits.......last week i was using a weight which was bringing the bait to the bottom, but wasn't getting that many hits.........lightened the the load and gave it a slower sink rate and slayed the bass.......they were actually hitting it on the slow fall......just curious?.....i was watching a fishing show the other day in which they were filming the bite from under the water and they showed the  difference between a heavier weight and slow sinking bait............pretty interesting.......
Chuck Norris sorts his clothes in three loads.....whites, colors, and blood stains

its an addiction

Re: sink rate
« Reply #1 on: Jul 01, 2009, 07:28 AM »
I always use the lightest jig i can get away with in the fishing conditions, whether it be walleye, bluegill, or bass.  I have always felt that the fish can't resist the slow fall.  It kinda stinks because you have to fish slowly, but if they are biting it does the trick. 

Just last week i was casting a tiny ice fishing jig on a 9 ft. ultra light rod and micro reel to gills in about 5 feet of water and they would almost always hit it on the fall. 

PIKE FISHERMAN

• Precision Angling on Youtube. Maine based fishing.
« Reply #2 on: Jul 01, 2009, 12:12 PM »
Definately agree with the slow fall presnetation

I always use a 1/8 oz bullet weight in shallow weedy areas. They seem to like the slow fall as you stated.

I use a 1/4 oz when i'm around 10' or so.
Precision Angling on Youtube. Maine based bass, pike, fly fishing, brook fishing, trolling and ice fishing. Hope to see you on the water somewhere!!

Spitfire

• A.K.A." Double-L" on I.S.
« Reply #3 on: Jul 02, 2009, 06:15 AM »
Definately agree with the slow fall presnetation

I always use a 1/8 oz bullet weight in shallow weedy areas. They seem to like the slow fall as you stated.

I use a 1/4 oz when i'm around 10' or so.
   Pike, You might want to have a few 1/2 - 3/4oz. jigs in your arsenal also. I've had some very memorable days when the very fast drop or retrieve was the TICKET !    Lou
CATCH & RELEASE  "For Another Day"

PIKE FISHERMAN

• Precision Angling on Youtube. Maine based fishing.
« Reply #4 on: Jul 02, 2009, 03:41 PM »
   Pike, You might want to have a few 1/2 - 3/4oz. jigs in your arsenal also. I've had some very memorable days when the very fast drop or retrieve was the TICKET !    Lou
Ohh believe me, i do. That too has it's pay off when the bass tired of seeing 100 lures in there face. Often seems like it drives them crazy or pisses em' off.
Precision Angling on Youtube. Maine based bass, pike, fly fishing, brook fishing, trolling and ice fishing. Hope to see you on the water somewhere!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.