FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: trolling question  (Read 1126 times)

vogel451

trolling question
« on: Aug 20, 2009, 08:58 PM »
I have a what seem to be a form of a down rigger off one side of my boat, but it only sticks out about 15".  It has the same steel line spooled on it only there are metal clamps pinched on the wire every 10-15' or so, so you can clip leaders on and run 1-10 lures i imagine.   Anyone know what this divice is called?  Anyways my real question is about "poles or points per person"  Ive always lived by the rule of two lines per person, which in turn ment 2 lures also.  I heard someone talking about max points.  which got me thinking maybe i could run more lures if i used single hooks.

Can someone run more than 2 lures if they have single hooks? what are the actual regulations?  also i was hoping the rigger i described would allow more lines, since the rigger is the pole..hmmm

Just trying to be legal, I dont need any tickets :)
-Mclovin out

Jrock

Re: trolling question
« Reply #1 on: Aug 20, 2009, 09:51 PM »
I believe you can have 15 hook points per line but i am not sure,  i run cheaters all the time, sometimes fixed and some free sliders.  They prove to be deadly at times especially when fish are scattered throughout the water column.  You will get some tangles but well worth it in the long run.

pooley

• Never Forget!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Aug 21, 2009, 07:26 AM »
page 14 in the regulation book:

2 lines per angler
not more than 5 lures or baits, or combination of both, per line
each line shall not exceed 15 hook points

take a kid fishing!official b-breaker of N.Y.R.C.

jkoegel

• Born to fish, forced to work.
« Reply #3 on: Aug 21, 2009, 10:22 AM »
There you go, beat me to it Pooley.
When in doubt, read the reg book. That little book has all the info you need in it.
I have one in my tackle box, 1 in the ice sled, and 1 on the back of the shitter at home.  ;D

vogel451

« Reply #4 on: Aug 22, 2009, 09:45 AM »
thanks for the info guys much appreciated.  Jrock  thanks again
-Mclovin out

Grumpyoldman

« Reply #5 on: Aug 22, 2009, 12:36 PM »
Righteous Pooley. I was too lazy to look for my book.

But what about the Sabiki rigs that are used for herring, which come with six hooks or points. I've heard it said that they can only have five points, or hooks, so that one has to be cut off?   

pooley

• Never Forget!!!!
« Reply #6 on: Aug 22, 2009, 01:59 PM »
Righteous Pooley. I was too lazy to look for my book.

But what about the Sabiki rigs that are used for herring, which come with six hooks or points. I've heard it said that they can only have five points, or hooks, so that one has to be cut off?   
yes, just cut off one hook.

take a kid fishing!official b-breaker of N.Y.R.C.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.