FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Rowing and fishing  (Read 2093 times)

celt6

Rowing and fishing
« on: Mar 17, 2010, 11:49 AM »
Some of you guys still do it the old fashion way, rowing and fishing? I used to fish the NYC watershed, row only, now that I live up here (Saratoga) seems like you need a motor to tool around.

prchslyr

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Rowing and fishing
« Reply #1 on: Mar 17, 2010, 03:10 PM »
I absolutely love fishing out of my canoe. More often than not I leave the trolling motor at home.
Call me wierd but...I feel like I am more at one with the water paddling in a low sitting Radisson.
When I am the first one on a pond or small lake covered in glass at 6:30 am. No sounds aside from nature, paddle in the water, and the canoe cutting through the glass. I am in an almost zen-like state.
A couple hours go by and I hear the first jet ski fire up... and I promptly head for the launch lol.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.

bassinbrian

• In search of Lunkers !
« Reply #2 on: Mar 17, 2010, 03:23 PM »
I have a boat on the Ashokan , so yeah i do some rowing out there every year.

BB
Bring on the Stripers !!!

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #3 on: Mar 17, 2010, 03:25 PM »
I use the row boat all the time in front of the house...it was real nice to come home from work and get out for an hour or two...walleyes and bass most of the time...hunts2long

fishman

« Reply #4 on: Mar 17, 2010, 04:24 PM »
i use a canoe all of the time, sure you might not be able to go as far out into the lake as you would with a motor boat, but it is much more peaceful, much more accessible (can launch almost anywhere you can park), and much cheaper, in both initial purchase and upkeep (no gas!!!)

i use mine on caz lake; during the summer, there will be anywhere from 5 to 10 canoes and kayaks on the south end fishing for bass and such
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\\\\\\\'d be a shortage of fishing poles

jd110tlb

« Reply #5 on: Mar 17, 2010, 05:06 PM »
I have both a 12 foot radison that i row and a 15 foot Adirondack guide boat that goes back to the early 1900's . I find it very relaxing and i am sure its probably good exercise

beerbellybob106

« Reply #6 on: Mar 17, 2010, 06:17 PM »
i love my little two man sportspal canoe its great if you just want to throw it on your shoulders and hike back into some remote ponds for those beautiful native brookies

KeukaZ71

« Reply #7 on: Mar 17, 2010, 07:08 PM »
i agree that a paddle can be more peaceful, but if you want to catch more fish, electric motor will get you 3 to 4 more times the fish

rlowery

« Reply #8 on: Mar 17, 2010, 07:13 PM »
I fish Fourth Lake every summer in a 14' rowboat. There is nothing better then hitting the water as the fog lifts in the morning and your oars are the only thing cutting the glass surface other than your line

I also have a 16' sea nymph and my johnson 40hp gets me around an the Big O a little better. ;)

snelly

« Reply #9 on: Mar 17, 2010, 09:34 PM »
That's how I grew up fishing from my grandfathers row boat. they let me take the row boat out by my self being a 10 year old kid rowing around all day fishing was the greatest thing. that's how I spent my summers. now I fish alot in the adks and alot of the ponds and lakes are no motors. so like many of you I love my radison canoe

bigbrookie

« Reply #10 on: Mar 18, 2010, 09:04 AM »
raddison/sportspal,,, the best fishing investment i might of ever made. spent may long days trolling/rowing lake clears, flies and stickbaits, and caught many trophies. 4 weeks from tomorrow and i'll be rowing for some good old brookies!!!!! cant wait

fzrpilot6

« Reply #11 on: Mar 18, 2010, 10:39 AM »
i just started fishing out of a kayak last summer.  would not trade it for the world.  im sure its not for everybody but i love it.  and if i wanted to i could put an electric trolling motor on it but will not. 

celt6

« Reply #12 on: Mar 18, 2010, 12:15 PM »
Thats cool, i have a kayak set up for fishing, and am working on my 12 foot Aluminum to either row or troll with electric, I used to live in Carmel, had 5 or six row boats all over the place, great days!

deweyfishopenwater

« Reply #13 on: Mar 19, 2010, 06:16 AM »
I had a row boat at the roundout  NYC watershed used to love it
it is good exercise also. :) :)

phead lakeman

« Reply #14 on: Mar 19, 2010, 05:46 PM »
I absolutely love fishing out of my canoe. More often than not I leave the trolling motor at home.
Call me wierd but...I feel like I am more at one with the water paddling in a low sitting Radisson.
When I am the first one on a pond or small lake covered in glass at 6:30 am. No sounds aside from nature, paddle in the water, and the canoe cutting through the glass. I am in an almost zen-like state.
A couple hours go by and I hear the first jet ski fire up... and I promptly head for the launch lol.

Jet skis and water skiers ruin lakes. Thats why i recommend Pecks Lake to everyone no jet skiers very little water skiing maybe u will see some 3 times a year. Also no motors over 40hp, all that equals great fishing conditions.Pike over 40 inches, bass over 6lbs and trout over 5lbs as well.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.