FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fishing the river in/around Great Falls  (Read 14197 times)

andercee

Fishing the river in/around Great Falls
« on: Apr 20, 2010, 10:38 PM »
I hardly ever see anyone fishing in or near town in Great Falls.  I would like to hear from some people that do.  Where do you like to go, what do you fish for etc.  The most popular places I have seen people fish are by Giant Springs and Broadwater Bay but haven't seen much reeled in.  I am sick of driving an hour to go fishing.

iceholer

• catch and release in bacon grease
Re: Fishing the river in/around Great Falls
« Reply #1 on: Apr 20, 2010, 11:46 PM »
waleye at the mouth of sun river let us know how you do
walleye the bigger the better

hardwater

« Reply #2 on: Apr 25, 2010, 03:08 AM »
I have been picking up a few walleyes below the dams in the area.

iceholer

• catch and release in bacon grease
« Reply #3 on: Apr 25, 2010, 01:02 PM »
dams meaning more than one in great falls so you must be talking about helena area witch one please
walleye the bigger the better

hardwater

« Reply #4 on: Apr 25, 2010, 09:11 PM »
Black Eagle and  Moroney, it's pretty slow, but tossing jigs and twisters I have picked up a few fish here and there.  Beats watching tv on the week nights after work for sure.  

trappermike82

« Reply #5 on: Apr 26, 2010, 08:49 PM »
I jigged up a 22" northern below Morony yesterday morning.  There was a guy there that had some wallies, but it was pretty slow for the most part.

hardwater

« Reply #6 on: Apr 27, 2010, 09:14 PM »
5 guys at Black Eagle tonight but I drove past.  More than I seen there in all the three days I fished last week, maybe things picked up down there?

hardwater

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 05:01 PM »
They sure didn't listen very good, cause they were using crawlers.

Fishin247

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 11:21 PM »
Lady at FWP pnce told me across from Giant Springs below Blackeagle is good for eyes. Said you could get back there from a road, but I don't remember which. My brother's old roommate used to fish for pike unde one of the lower ones, and they got some bass too. I would imagine that all those carp you see milling below Ryan dam could be caught. I've heard there's big boulder under water right out from the Country club and walleye in them and also at the dropoff just up stream from there by the downstream side of that island. Flyfishing on the Smith and Belt Creek, the Ulm Bridge is supposed to have ling, as is the hole above Pelican point. And lastly, hear you can catch trout, sunfish, and catfish, and all of us from Great Falls forget its there, but Wadsworth park.
Quitwishin
Gofishin

trappermike82

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 11:54 AM »
If the water comes up a little, the fising gets pretty good below Morony Dam for eyes, cats and northern, although I really cannot complain about my success down there so far this year.  Widow coulee is also a great option to fish.  I have always had good luck with eyes, cats and smallmouth this time of year and later in june/early july I have had good times with the northerns around there too.

Fishin247

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 03:55 PM »
Where's widow coulee?
Quitwishin
Gofishin

trappermike82

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010, 04:05 PM »
Go out to the Centerville turnoff and turn north like you are heading to Highwood.  After you go another 6-8 miles, there will be a sign on your right hand side for the turnoff to Widow Coulee.  Turn north again on the road and just follow the signs.  It is approx. 13 miles from the highway to the site on dirt road.  Watch it if it rains because some of it can get kind of iffy.  Just follow the road until it hits the access, then walk up or down stream and find a pool to fish in.  I've even caught cats right there at the boat launch.  There's a hole about 1/4 a mile upstream from there right before you hit the cliffs that a buddy of mine pulled a large cat and some other fine eating fish out of.

Fishin247

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2010, 10:16 PM »
I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the inro.
Quitwishin
Gofishin

my-4x4

« Reply #13 on: Dec 05, 2010, 12:09 PM »
Hey, yea I haven't had any luck with the great falls area...I travel upstream towards cascade.
What kinda tackle you guys use? I have pretty good luck with spinners...normally pulling 16-22'' trout.

Caught this guy at pelican point 5lbs 9oz 26''

trappermike82

« Reply #14 on: Mar 13, 2011, 03:12 PM »
Nice brown! 

Anyone been fishing down stream from Morony?  By the way, don't go to Morony Dam itself.  apparently they are doing some work on the pump station and PPL has closed the road off down to the river.  They even have the trail heads at the top of the hill barricaded as well.  Talked to one of the construction guys yesterday morning and he said it would be closed for at least another 2 months... so much for the walleye fishing below the dam.  So...

I heard that Carter and Loma are still iced up but we checked out Widow's Coulee yesterday and it was completely open.  Only 5 carp to show for our efforts, but the five carp weighed a total of over 60 lbs so it kept us interested.  Anyone been down that way?  Hoping to get in to the walleye again.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.