FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Any Tips For Catching Lakers?  (Read 2641 times)

Sluggo

Any Tips For Catching Lakers?
« on: Jun 04, 2004, 11:13 AM »
Lakers open tomorrow and myself and 5 buddies are heading to the Big Rideau near Portland to see if we can catch a few.  Just want to know if anyone has any tricks or techniques for catching lake trout.  We will be fishing from bass boats so there will be no downrigging or trolling.  The water is between 80' and 200+'.  I have picked up a couple Crippeled Herring, a Swedish Pimple and some big jigs also a jar of minnows. 

Any help would be great.

GET IT ON!

Germ

• Always Planning the Next fishing Adventure...
Re: Any Tips For Catching Lakers?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 04, 2004, 05:25 PM »
Get grump to reply he won last months Tourney...hail hail to the Trout King Grump!
Please Don't be offended by Germ and his Replys ..If any comments bother you please feel free to Send me a message Thru private mail and Ill   modify anything that Seems to upset ya. Tight Lines all!

grumpymoe

« Reply #2 on: Jun 04, 2004, 05:45 PM »
i dont know where you are located....nor the lake....but any that i fish after ice out.....stay to the shallows....good rocky structure....i personally dont like fishing early from boats...beercan fishing produces extremely well....nice fat ciscoe tail hooked on a good large hook.....weighted enough that the bait will float up off bottom....at least 1' and toss into 1020 feet of water maximum....sit back with an open bail on your reel and wait for some exciting action.....if your group do fish from a boat.....habanero bobs favourite is a 3/8 white jig head tipped with a nice long shiner....toss into the shallows and even right up to shore....another spot you might try is shallow bays, but make sure the water temperature is not exceeding 52F.....otherwise you will be wasting time and effort...this time of the year they will aggressively pursue schools of baitfish.... if you jig....my favourite is the chrome buzzbomb.....Large white tube jigs.....if you troll.....large husky jerks predominantly black with silver sides....shad raps in darker colors......large flashy spoons, but make sure you have at least 50 yds of line out...the more the better.....hope you anglers strike a great weekend.....grump

trapperdirk

« Reply #3 on: Jun 04, 2004, 06:48 PM »
like he said . The trout king of May , Grumpy MOE . ;D Mind you I'm not quite convinced of what he meant stating 1020 ft of water . LOL Hope thats a typo . ::)
The bush is not a passion , it's in my soul.

TD

grumpymoe

« Reply #4 on: Jun 04, 2004, 08:32 PM »
10-20 trapper......the refreshments made the type....lol ;D ;D ;D

Germ

« Reply #5 on: Jun 05, 2004, 07:05 AM »
Ya, but no excuses there Grump as Trapper has em all day long as he hardly mistype's....Now myself i mistype all the time. Im just lazy not ignorant! ROFL Tight lines!
Please Don't be offended by Germ and his Replys ..If any comments bother you please feel free to Send me a message Thru private mail and Ill   modify anything that Seems to upset ya. Tight Lines all!

trapperdirk

« Reply #6 on: Jun 05, 2004, 10:26 AM »
AH Germ I must confess . I only type with one finger and if I was any slower at it I would be going backwards  ;D. OOps then again I am because I also go back and edit my posts over and over again . LOL ;D
  It's why this sure footed turtle has less posts than you and Grump and many others .LOL ;D I have also developed a new skill while reading posts on here and that is to decipher code and different languages that are booze or herb induced . LMAO ;) . . At times I even go cross eyed to read the dyslexic ones , but I think I do manage to understand them and get the gist . LOL ;D . Somedays I just go OH OK . LOL .
The bush is not a passion , it's in my soul.

TD

Sluggo

« Reply #7 on: Jun 09, 2004, 04:56 PM »
Thanks for the tips.

Out of the 3 boats in our group we managed 7 lakers in 6 hours.  I managed to go 0 for 4.  We kept 2 in the 2.5-3lb range and threw back the rest.  The biggest one was between 9 and 12lb.  Most of our hook ups were around 140'. 

The best part of the day for me............................... when we stopped fishing for lake trout and started fishing for pike!!  Also riding in by buddies new Triton TR-21X bass boat. That thing hauls ass!!

GET IT ON!

Germ

« Reply #8 on: Jun 09, 2004, 07:23 PM »
Nice fishing there..sounds like a good day. and trapper you must be good at deciphering My Typing by now..And yes mine have been known to be alcohol enriched lol..I type with 2 fingers:> Got good at it by now..LOL

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.