FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Goldeye  (Read 7036 times)

OldBill

Re: Goldeye
« Reply #15 on: Jun 07, 2010, 09:54 PM »
I caught a fair-sized goldeye at Pine Falls a week or two ago on a chrome Mepps #5 Aglia.  I was surprised because I had only seen them feeding at or near the surface before.

fshmanmb

« Reply #16 on: Jun 08, 2010, 06:50 AM »
Goldeye bite is back on at Lockport......BIG TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

maw31

« Reply #17 on: Jun 08, 2010, 08:45 AM »

thanks for the info. fshmanmb. ;D   where abouts do you fish for goldeye at lockport???? ???
Born to fish, Forced to go to school

thedeerhunter1982

« Reply #18 on: Jun 09, 2010, 12:14 AM »
well tried the bobber and pickrel rig with worms and caught 3 goldeye only about 7 inches . now how do i prepare them for cat fishing. and how do i rig them.

fshmanmb

« Reply #19 on: Jun 09, 2010, 09:36 AM »
thanks for the info. fshmanmb. ;D   where abouts do you fish for goldeye at lockport???? ???

Anywhere that there is slack current just off of faster current works the best. Just take a look at what the current is doing and where & you'll see what I mean. If you can find a place where the current actually circles a bit back upstream it can be deadly as this will be slacker current & will almost act like an eddy. I have my own little spots that when the current is right, it's a bite literally every cast.
PM if you want more info on locations or feel free to tag along sometime.

fshmanmb

« Reply #20 on: Jun 09, 2010, 09:44 AM »
well tried the bobber and pickrel rig with worms and caught 3 goldeye only about 7 inches . now how do i prepare them for cat fishing. and how do i rig them.

Cut them into approx 1" wide strips, cut top to bottom. Then put onto hook, trying to get the hook as far down as you can, but still making sure the hook is through the meaty part. Right now I'm strictly using 7/0 Circle hooks as I find that size is best right now. I put the top the cut Goldeye down into the bend of the hook; cut piece will actually be upside down. Then just pull the cut piece onto the hook; cut piece will end up sitting straight up & down. Not always easy to get the hook through the Goldeye as their skin is so tough. The hooks I use are so sharp that you have to be REAL careful when the point is coming through, that it doesn't catch your fingers. Heard of one guy using the same hooks that had one go right through his finger; with the point stopping at his fingernail.
Hope that helps & that I explained it properly.

maw31

« Reply #21 on: Jun 09, 2010, 12:34 PM »
Anywhere that there is slack current just off of faster current works the best. Just take a look at what the current is doing and where & you'll see what I mean. If you can find a place where the current actually circles a bit back upstream it can be deadly as this will be slacker current & will almost act like an eddy. I have my own little spots that when the current is right, it's a bite literally every cast.
PM if you want more info on locations or feel free to tag along sometime.

thanks for the info fshmanmb. ;D

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #22 on: Jun 09, 2010, 11:52 PM »
I am wondering if you can get other fish species on the cut goldeye like pike, walleye or freshwater drum or are
they just for the catfish? :unsure:

WW
Calmly Waiting For Opening Day

maw31

« Reply #23 on: Jun 10, 2010, 11:04 AM »
I am wondering if you can get other fish species on the cut goldeye like pike, walleye or freshwater drum or are
they just for the catfish? :unsure:

WW

i'm just guessing, but i think it's only good for catfish. :-\ but i could be wrong.

Ugly Ice

« Reply #24 on: Jun 10, 2010, 01:21 PM »

Without giving away any secrets...were are they biting? below the dam or on the other side :D ??? :D

fshmanmb

« Reply #25 on: Jun 10, 2010, 04:09 PM »
Below the dam, not even sure you can catch them above the dam. West side, just follow the tips posted above & you'll find them.

Big Brother

« Reply #26 on: Jun 10, 2010, 05:42 PM »
Below the dam, not even sure you can catch them above the dam. West side, just follow the tips posted above & you'll find them.
Many anglers might be very surprised as to the variety of species that be caught on the high side :o :o Cats on the Red is often fishing on the South side of the dam.

fshmanmb

« Reply #27 on: Jun 10, 2010, 08:32 PM »
Yes, know of the species that can be caught on the high side. In this type of current though??????
Never heard of Goldeye on the high side though.

Ugly Ice

« Reply #28 on: Jun 11, 2010, 08:48 AM »
Yes, know of the species that can be caught on the high side. In this type of current though??????
Never heard of Goldeye on the high side though.

Thanks for the advice.
As for the northside south side debate, I myself have caught goldeye in the Assinaboine so they so they must be in the red as well.
Getting back to lockport though, we went out last night, saw a couple of guys pull out some nice size(15lb??) cats. We were trying for the gold eye but with no luck (for goldeye anyway) the Drum on the other hand would not leave us alone, we landed multiple nice size (5-8 Lb). Good fun but didn't fill up the racks in the smoker like I wanted ;D ;D ;D

And for all who noticed...yes I am old school and still measure in LBs not inches :laugh: ::) :laugh:

RobHawley

« Reply #29 on: Jul 19, 2010, 05:19 PM »
I've never had any luck trying for goldeye...and it's really disappointing when the cats are hitting goldeye hard and I can't manage to catch any for bait.  I've tried pickerel rigs (don't like them myself...snag too often and tangle like crazy), float fishing (anywhere between 2 - 4 feet below the surface), and even sitting on the bottom.  I've tried using worms and synthetics (honey worms) with no luck.  It's been especially frustrating when I see a guy 10 feet down the shoreline doing exactly the same thing I am and he's pulling them in one after another...*grin*.  Oh well...in that case, the "guy down the shoreline" is usually willing to give up one or two so that I can have some bait for the cats.  Other than that...well....guess it's back to the tried and true shrimp.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.