FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Tips for LOTW?  (Read 1947 times)

buzzbomb

Tips for LOTW?
« on: Jun 20, 2004, 09:17 AM »
Hi, all, I've got a pal on an English carp fishing forum who's booked a vacation in Kenora for Sept of 2005.  He knows there's no carp fishing there, so he's planning on going for the local Musky, Pike, Trout etc.  Is there some way to get a little info package for him together with some tips and location help to try and make his holiday great?  These guys have gone out of their way to make me feel welcome (I'm the only North American on that site!) so I'd like to do what I can for him.  I know it's over a year away but that should make it easier.  Thanks in advance, Buzzbomb.

grumpymoe

Re: Tips for LOTW?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 20, 2004, 09:55 AM »
buzzbomb....a few things i need to know...and i will get you plenty of info...a few friends also that spend alot more time on lotw than i do....will you be staying at a resort??? do you have your own boat?? camping out?? let me know as much possible and i'll do my part to make it memorable.....grump

buzzbomb

« Reply #2 on: Jun 25, 2004, 11:40 AM »
He's going to stay at Andy Lake Resort; I took a look at their website and it looks like the management has a pretty good handle on the fishing (understatement or what?) but if there's some good info not covered in    http://andylake.com/     it probably wouldn't be a waste of time.  thanx in advance...Buzzbomb

grumpymoe

« Reply #3 on: Jun 25, 2004, 01:14 PM »
well you're pretty darn close to lotw...andy lake and the resort is right on highway 71 just south from the trans canada highway...pretty little spot...the one thing i would suggest fishing for walleyes...is keep it simple..no need to get into anything complicated as far as presentation...small various colored jigheads tipped with live minnows, leeches or worms will succeed on most any given day...lindy rigs with a nice fat crawler trailed slowly behind the boat usually induces hits from the larger walleye for whatever reasons.....for baitcasting...try crankbaits...my fave is the rapala tail dancer...or shad rap...jointed or regular..there are other presentations that work just as well...and don't be afraid to try shallower waters and weed bed areas for a little more action...mixes up the day when you latch onto a nice northern or smallie....for smallmouth action...i truly enjoy the pure adrenalin rush with top water poppers...and the exploding action when they hit...for the novice...most have a tendency to reaction set when the fish breaks water...wait a second or two...then set hard!!! most smallies are lost trying to set too early and the result is more lost fish...i know they will truly enjoy their stay......grump 8)

buzzbomb

« Reply #4 on: Jun 25, 2004, 01:29 PM »
Thanks, Grump, this guy is a hard-core carper....he'll sit all night for weeks on end without a bite and still go!  But he's having more luck lately.  I would of suggested he go someplace where there's carp to fish for but that part of Canada perhaps has the postcard pretty scenery....and if you maybe are getting just one trip....  you know, I always thought one of the most beautiful areas in the country was Rainy River, and another was the Grinrod region up in the northern Okanagan (or is that Shushwap)whatever.   If I could meddle I'd tell him to go to rent-a-wreck and get a Tempo or something, learn to drive on the right side of the road and go all over, but I guess there's family considerations.  Thanks again, Buzz

grumpymoe

« Reply #5 on: Jun 25, 2004, 01:36 PM »
hey buzz....shushwap....one scenic lake.....houseboating heaven...one lake i wished i hit when i lived in b.c. but never did....rainy river.....awesome walleye fishery...grump

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.