FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: This summer at the lake  (Read 3412 times)

bbkyle35

This summer at the lake
« on: Aug 15, 2010, 05:17 PM »
As most of you know I've spent most of my summer at Boysen doing the AIS check stations. Not much else to do out there besides fish when your done working. Me and the other technician went out almost every night after work. Through the end of June catfishing was excellent, with the average fish being about 12#, the smallest 5# and the largest 25#. All fish over 9# were released. I think we probably got a total of 25-30 cats that month, then the lake filled up and warmed up and we couldn'f find them anymore.

After catfishing was over, we spent the rest of the summer bank fishing for walleye and crappie. Windy nights we fished walleye on the windblown shorelines with cranks, largest being 25". Calm nights we hit up the crappie with minnows or jigs biggest being 14.5". The flooded vegetation along the shore makes it tough to fish, but its worth it! I would say the summer total is 70-80 crappie, 3 sauger, and a couple dozen walleyes.

Boysen treated us well, even if you don't have a boat, don't get discouraged, just put in your time and find the right place and you can do just as good! More pics will come when i have more time.
Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak. ~Ted Nugent

wyofarmer

• MFF Mod Team
  • Rest in peace LT
Re: This summer at the lake
« Reply #1 on: Aug 15, 2010, 05:42 PM »
Nice work guys!! it's great that you have the time to spend out there.

pikeslayer

« Reply #2 on: Aug 15, 2010, 05:54 PM »
is the last pic a sauger

bbkyle35

« Reply #3 on: Aug 15, 2010, 06:32 PM »
yep last pic is a sauger, not many in that lake anymore, but the G&F is doing a lot of genetics and population studying on them now.
Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak. ~Ted Nugent

doublehaul

« Reply #4 on: Aug 22, 2010, 11:19 AM »
A 25 lbs. cat is a sumo for sure. nice work!
Promoting catfishing in the great plains states

MountainMan

• Retired MFF Mod
  • Fish Painter
« Reply #5 on: Aug 22, 2010, 01:29 PM »
Great fish. Thanks for your time on the ramp this summer.

bbkyle35

« Reply #6 on: Aug 22, 2010, 06:44 PM »
This summer on the ramp was fairly successful. Many boaters now understand why the program has started, and always show up with their boats free of water making my life easy. Of course there are always the few buttheads that don't care and just want something to complain about, but overall the likelyhood of mussels entering Wyoming has drastically decreased through the boater education that I've seen. Overall I liked the job, talking with anglers all day about the lake and fishing made me feel right at home.

Without question the new state record is in Boysen, just gotta be in the right place at the right time. The biologists figure that a 5 year old fish is 10-13 pounds, and they have been recorded over 20 years old in Wyoming.

augergas

« Reply #7 on: Aug 23, 2010, 08:32 AM »
You checked my boat during the Governer's cup tourney. You may recall my partner giving you a hard time about the cute coeds checking boats at Glendo. Boysen is a unique fishery. wish it were closer.

bbkyle35

« Reply #8 on: Aug 23, 2010, 08:41 AM »
I think I do remember checking ya. Hard to say though, did like 3000 inspections over the summer.

olefish

« Reply #9 on: Aug 25, 2010, 08:00 PM »
You sure did great, I am the guy with the old red jeep that you checked my boat a few times... have a good school year.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.