FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: fly reel vs. center pin  (Read 26090 times)

SKUNK-MASTER

Re: fly reel vs. center pin
« Reply #15 on: Nov 09, 2010, 12:27 PM »
wow people really have some diff opinions!!    I can see that my spinning gear isnt gunna cut it for long!  got out for a few hours on sandy creek(west)....saw some nice browns movin around...no takers. fished variuos egg imitators diff colors...and a pink power worm.  seems like all u guys who know what u r talking about have been doin it for years.....i am trying not to get frustrated, but learning this type of fishing is not easy.....hopefully soon it will pay off for me!!!     still not sure whether my next step should be fly reel or cp???     have a lot of questions...seems like float fishing is ok if u find pools?  not sure how u guys bottom bounce withuot getting snagged up in 6" of water constantly??  a lot of basic quest. about when browns spawn.....smae with steel(isnt there fall and spring spawners??     can u get them on there way back out to the lake?????       also why dont i hear anything about the finger lakes run????  cant even think of all the quest. i have right now.....but cant get the vision of the 2 large browns that i saw and could not turn towards my bait........i guess it only takes one bite to really get me hooke.........still waiting!!!!     thanx for the info !!!

pb brown 27"             pb walleye 23"

adam2000

• theres beer down here we cant forget
« Reply #16 on: Nov 09, 2010, 12:32 PM »
...and all i was saying was that things are difficult relative to the method at hand
have you even floatfished with a 13 foot rod enough to make blanket statements such as the ones you've just made? not trying to get into a rod measuring contest...just saying. from the last statement you just made, it seems to me that your trying to  ruffle some feathers here. .. seeing that snagger is a regular, well respected contribibutor to this site, i think a little more respect is due, no?

true, casting a centerpin is alot harder than a fly rod, mending that fly way out there isnt easy either, both are tough, but im a cp guy, new to it this yr and love it

Smells Like Fish NH

« Reply #17 on: Nov 09, 2010, 12:38 PM »
true, casting a centerpin is alot harder than a fly rod, mending that fly way out there isnt easy either, both are tough, but im a cp guy, new to it this yr and love it

Im still working on casting my CP, but I really like the idea of using it and I am looking forward to landing my first fish with it!
If anyone is interested in being in a FB group about NH fishing with few limitations and no Richard Craniums...send me a PM... 3000+members strong and growing! Search "New Hampshire Fishing" and ask to join

adam2000

• theres beer down here we cant forget
« Reply #18 on: Nov 09, 2010, 12:40 PM »
wow people really have some diff opinions!!    I can see that my spinning gear isnt gunna cut it for long!  got out for a few hours on sandy creek(west)....saw some nice browns movin around...no takers. fished variuos egg imitators diff colors...and a pink power worm.  seems like all u guys who know what u r talking about have been doin it for years.....i am trying not to get frustrated, but learning this type of fishing is not easy.....hopefully soon it will pay off for me!!!     still not sure whether my next step should be fly reel or cp???     have a lot of questions...seems like float fishing is ok if u find pools?  not sure how u guys bottom bounce withuot getting snagged up in 6" of water constantly??  a lot of basic quest. about when browns spawn.....smae with steel(isnt there fall and spring spawners??     can u get them on there way back out to the lake?????       also why dont i hear anything about the finger lakes run????  cant even think of all the quest. i have right now.....but cant get the vision of the 2 large browns that i saw and could not turn towards my bait........i guess it only takes one bite to really get me hooke.........still waiting!!!!     thanx for the info !!!
floated 2 to 3 ft runs all morning with about 4 snags

Drifter_016

« Reply #19 on: Nov 09, 2010, 12:45 PM »

If you're talking about running mono on a flyreel then it is really no different than what you're doing with the spinning setup.
The only differnce is it will cut down on your presentation options as it's best for bottom bouncing.
With your spinning setup you can bottom bounce, toss a float or chuck lures.
Until you get the lay of the land so to speak I would stick with the spinning setup. When you become familiar with this trout and salmon fishing thing then you can step up to more specialized gear.

I started fishing these guys in the 70's and used a 9' flyrod with a spinning reel and eventually graduated to a CP not to long after they started to be come popular here in Canada. By that time I was already proficient at catching fish, presenting differnet baits and reading water and the learning curve was small.

BAZOOKAJOE

« Reply #20 on: Nov 09, 2010, 01:05 PM »
I can bank a fish and release him in half the time than using a net.  And cause way less stress.

BAZOOKAJOE

« Reply #21 on: Nov 09, 2010, 01:29 PM »

I'd get some experience float fishing with the spinning reel before you buy a CP reel. 

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #22 on: Nov 09, 2010, 01:52 PM »
all i was saying it takes a heck  more practice to mend your fly line into you backing for a drag free drift  than it does to hold you line off the water with a 13 foot rod ! and it takes more than a few years to master fly fishing,He!! ive been doing it for over 30 years and still learn every time i go out to the water,hey snagger ever hear of a net? or  is it ok to stress the fish out more by dragging them to the bank and let flop around before you release them ? im confused about that one

I got no time for your silly stupid nonsense , go back to SC with that better than life attitude bro,,  I slide them up to shallow water, grab there tail firm and pull the hook out. done , no head bashing on the rocks....nets take the fish slime off the fish... grow up dude.......
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

H.T.

• I AM PROUD TO BE AN *OPPORTUNIST*
« Reply #23 on: Nov 09, 2010, 03:54 PM »
                I got no time for your silly stupid nonsense , go back to SC with that better than life attitude bro,,  I slide them up to shallow water, grab there tail firm and pull the hook out. done , no head bashing on the rocks....nets take the fish slime off the fish... grow up dude.......
very blunt and very well said. end of story. what was being said here was not to fight the fish to death. nothing was said about bringing a fish to shore at having it flop around on shore on the rocks. people need to read and grasp what people are saying before they reply to peoples posts sometimes. believe me or not- i have seen certain people catch and release a lot of fish on here in a very short amount of time with very little stress to the fish. END OF STORY  8) NO NET NEEDED sometimes. to each there own 8)

SKUNK-MASTER

« Reply #24 on: Nov 09, 2010, 04:18 PM »
ok guys....lets not hijack the thread with a pissing contest!!!!  I really need all of yer help as I obviously lack the knowledge to do this thing the right way. trying to put my time in, but want to weed thru all the info so that when i can get out there maybe i can be succesful.

ht,snagger,simplcarppieguy  chime in u guys obviously have it down!!!

pb brown 27"             pb walleye 23"

draketrutta

« Reply #25 on: Nov 09, 2010, 04:47 PM »
My suggestion is that if you are just starting out with a pin and float rod would be to get a 10'6" one to start with.
Reason being is that although it a shorter by a foot and a half you will still be able to keep alot of line off the water, and you will be better able to control the rod comfortably if you are not used to the long ones. Another reason is that it is easier to fudge up your line on the whippier tip of a 13' rod when casting - especially when it is windy.

If you have bank room no problem - like Snagger explained just back up the shore and slide the fish to shore. But if you are in a tight spot like down in the Bovines wading it could be quite a challenge to land a fish solo - with or without a net.

I started with a St Croix 10'6" and the next year bought a 13'er. No major investment like some guys but they suit my needs.
 I like both, but to honest I use the shorter one more often.

just my 2 cents.

p.s. - anyone that gloats about their ability to mend their flyline when they have 80' of it out across seams and current breaks better than a skilled guy with a float is certainly full of themselves.  IMO they should stay at home and cast into a Lefty Kreh test tank, or the LFZ Kiddiepool. :)

<'}}}}>><  *** just say NO to DPviaBAJwithADK-QTIP *** <>>{{{{'>

Simplecarppieguy

• Established in 1969, Fisherman by 1975..
« Reply #26 on: Nov 09, 2010, 04:49 PM »
OK guys....lets not hijack the thread with a pissing contest!!!!  I really need all of yer help as I obviously lack the knowledge to do this thing the right way. trying to put my time in, but want to weed thru all the info so that when i can get out there maybe i can be succesful.

ht,snagger,simplcarppieguy  chime in u guys obviously have it down!!!
OK my Soap box time...
My take on (flyfishing) for steelies and Brown in the Oswego and Salmon River VS a Float.. Well 80% of the time your flossing them the other 20% they hit.. On a float 50% they hit the other 50% they hit harder! I feel the when you have a great drift and  with the right precession the fish will take. match your hatch!! Case in point.. I was fishing last year in Oswego (well most of the fall  ;D) I had a fly fisherman in the head of a run I liked to fish. He was running egg flys of some kind. I wanted to fish above him. Well lets just say he need a diaper change. :'( :'( So before he would pee pee himself anymore I moved below him about 20 yards. Plenty of room for him to drift his fly. I was Running a float on a Spinning reel with a bead.. So 20Min's later and 4 browns BANKED and released. He left..lol.. WELL when it comes to a net or not to use a net. I do both.. If I don't have a net I beach them anyways and rip a gill out and watch them leave a trail of red water.. 8) If I net them, Sometimes I do the Samething or do a over the head chuck back into the River.. 9.9, 9.9, 8.9,10.0.. The high dive tripple ganner with a twist lindy... :-*
Get yourself some floats and shot.
Use your Noodle rod first.
See what the take looks like.
Land some fish..
Get yourself a CP outfit.
you can get a nice starter outfit for $300.00
Most of all Enjoy the wonders of Centerpining.
BTW you don't line fish with a vertical bait!! :rotflol:
16 kings, 100 dropped!! Its not all about how many you get to the bank, its about the fun and friendship!

draketrutta

« Reply #27 on: Nov 09, 2010, 04:55 PM »
On a float 50% they hit the other 50% they hit harder!

BTW you don't line fish with a vertical bait!! :rotflol:[/i][/b]

x2
<'}}}}>><  *** just say NO to DPviaBAJwithADK-QTIP *** <>>{{{{'>

Simplecarppieguy

• Established in 1969, Fisherman by 1975..
« Reply #28 on: Nov 09, 2010, 05:01 PM »
16 kings, 100 dropped!! Its not all about how many you get to the bank, its about the fun and friendship!

fishgalore

« Reply #29 on: Nov 09, 2010, 05:31 PM »
fly fishing takes alot more practice to learn how to mend than it does to lob a float out, if you are looking for the easiest method,go with the cp, i can mend a fly line into my backing,and hook fish from 80 feet away,and from what ive witnessed on river is you can land a fish faster with a fly rod,makes catch and release a lot easier on the fish

Please explain how it's easier to land a fish with a flyrod as opposed to a CP or for that matter a spinning rod. Is it because you have to fish closer since you can't get a fly out farther away from you?

I saw a guy in mid october with a fly rod go down stream with a couple steelies on in Altmar and his line was more than 80 ft. out while he was walking downstream (not even announcing fish on) with his line preventing others from continuing to fish. He landed neither fish.

Concerning how much stress a fish can or should take with or without a net I'd like to know how that is measured? Moreover, is there a standard time in which a fish should be landed or the fish police will come? (Just a bit of sarcasm but not trying to offend you). IMO let each one determine what they need to do to land and keep or c & r. There are levels of skill or lack thereof on the river. Not everyone has the experience and know how as some of the premier guys who are just leaps and bounds better at this than others. Those guys ought to be patient mentors to the goons that lack skill not like lions waiting in the shadows to pounce on them. I beached a nice steelie on Sunday morning without a net and put it on the stringer with the one my brother beached. Both fish were fine later when we left, that is, they were swimming around on their leash and seemed to be strong enough to survive if we chose to release them. We kept them and they were delicious.

There are not many fisherman on this site that lack etiquette or try to antagonize others (except maybe in jest because they know each other) and that's one thing that makes this site enjoyable. Lets try to maintain the utmost respect and civility while making our points. The forum is a much better place like that.

Homeys try to keep it civil but when a homey is targeted watch out!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.