FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD Thread  (Read 1084154 times)

draketrutta

Re: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD BS Thread
« Reply #240 on: Feb 08, 2011, 07:33 AM »
Yep Esox...I hear ya..easy 6 inches in an hour at my place....could not believe how hard it was snowing and how big those flakes were...almost looked like an avalanche outside with the snow coming down!!!!

Several years ago I left Pa on Thanksgiving night and headed up to Pulaski area - after carefully reviewing the weather forecast and radar screens it looked like clear  sailing.

Up along I81 I was enjoying some Pink Floyd music and dreaming about the fishy prospects awaiting me in the SR.

I passed through Syracuse under star-lit skies.

As I crossed over Oneida I was hit by the WALL - not Pink Floyd's Wall, but the Lake O Lake Effect Snow Wall.

I'll spare gory details, but I had vertigo as I drove 50mph with near zero visibility - praying to God that I did not lose sight of the rear lights of a tractor trailer in front of me.

When I finally,miraculously exited at Pulaski, I sat in the parking lot of the C&M Diner and offered a prayer to the Big Guy upstairs -  after I de-clenched my white-knuckled hands from the steering wheel. 

I made a cell call home, and thought my troubles were over – I was off the killing fields of I81 and a two lane road led to Altmar.
It took me 35 minutes to travel that stretch!!!

There was close to 24 inches of new snow – thankfully it was light fluffy powder.

Next morning at the Trestle Hole – I started fishing at 9am. It started to snow again. It stopped snowing at 10:45 am – after dumping an additional 16inches of fluff in 1 hr 45 minutes..

No BS – I have never experienced such heavy nowfall b4 in my life – could not even see the end of my fishing rod.
I have never been so terrified as I was the night b4 while driving on I81 through the Parish area. Not being to able to see at 50mph, not knowing which way is up at 50mph, and knowing better than to stop and get killed by the next tractor trailer zooming by was like a bad horror movie.

Needless to say – I am extremely leary of night-time drives during the Lake Effect season. I usually sacrifice fishing time and drive during daylight hours only when I make a trip. The snow squalls are too unpredictable for me to trust the weather forecasts.

But then again – I did not have the luxury of reading Snagger’s detailed weather proscrastinations back then..  ;D

<'}}}}>><  *** just say NO to DPviaBAJwithADK-QTIP *** <>>{{{{'>

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #241 on: Feb 08, 2011, 10:39 AM »
         Hey Drake one time back in "93" it took me almost one hour to get to the Parish exit from Pulaski, said the hell with it and went into the Gristmill diner for a break. Well the squall followed me and parked itself on top of me all night in Parish , 81 got shut down.. The cars looked like lumps, actually one car caught fire at the pumps, Fire department coudn't get there as all the roads were closed, even rt.11 , so the owner picked it up with his pay loader and dumped it in a snow bank while it was on fire, pretty exciting night.. It was snowing so hard and the wind, I came to a complete stop many times on 81, followed a tractor trailer off the road a couple times , had to get out and dig ourselves out  .... thunder and lightning many times that night sitting in the gristmill diner , this was back when snowstorms were just storms , not a record breaking storm everytime it snows like now .....  we ended up with waist deep snow, which is 36 inches on the level after compaction , nowa days that would be 100 inches or something stupid from measuring hourly to break old records and assure monies for snow plowing budgets.... ;D...,

Great memories!!!!!!! :D
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

esox v

« Reply #242 on: Feb 08, 2011, 11:23 AM »
        Hey Drake one time back in "93" it took me almost one hour to get to the Parish exit from Pulaski, said the hell with it and went into the Gristmill diner for a break. Well the squall followed me and parked itself on top of me all night in Parish , 81 got shut down.. The cars looked like lumps, actually one car caught fire at the pumps, Fire department coudn't get there as all the roads were closed, even rt.11 , so the owner picked it up with his pay loader and dumped it in a snow bank while it was on fire, pretty exciting night.. It was snowing so hard and the wind, I came to a complete stop many times on 81, followed a tractor trailer off the road a couple times , had to get out and dig ourselves out  .... thunder and lightning many times that night sitting in the gristmill diner , this was back when snowstorms were just storms , not a record breaking storm everytime it snows like now .....  we ended up with waist deep snow, which is 36 inches on the level after compaction , nowa days that would be 100 inches or something stupid from measuring hourly to break old records and assure monies for snow plowing budgets.... ;D...,
      Great memories!!!!!!! :D

Was that the big March snow storm that melted all at once and flooded everyone on Oneida lake, Cross lake..and many more ? That was in 93 ..if I remember right?? that storm was something!!Snow was over the handle on my sliding glass door !!
"There is no crueler tyranny than that which is perpetrated
under the shield of law and in the name of justice."
--Charles de Montesquieu (1689-1755)
For tyranny to work some idiots are required…

The most dangerous thing any nation faces..  is a citizenry capable of trusting a liar to lead them....

cNr1day

« Reply #243 on: Feb 08, 2011, 04:55 PM »
Looks like the Tug may get some much needed snowpack in the next few days:
http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php?/topic/12968-les-feb-8-11/
 :D

SNAGGER

« Reply #244 on: Feb 08, 2011, 06:24 PM »
Looks like the Tug may get some much needed snowpack in the next few days:
http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php?/topic/12968-les-feb-8-11/
 :D

Thanks for that link, I'll have to read more about that forum, was I right with that map that they were predicting 24+ inches on the tug by Friday?  We got 8 inches on the level since last night, tied for the biggest one time dump this winter here in Altmar. Can't believe we are this far into winter without a one day snowfall bigger than that.

You know what CnR, with the mid and low level winds finally strong this time, and predicted to be out of the west ....  it should carry the snow farther inland than the past weeker lake snows we been getting all winter that have been burying lake shore comunities just southeast and places like Palermo , Hannibal , Red Creek , Sterling ect...

That guy said 30 inches on the Tug, that's very light considering theres been no thaws since January 2nd. Man we have really added some serious moisture to that snow pack in the last 8 days...  everything is getting right back on track, finally had to shovel my roofs off, usually do that atleast once a winter, 2-3 times is not uncommon up here..

Funny I was thinking the same thing that guy said, snowing like 3/4 inch an hour all day with big winds and no lake snow warning issued, they were posting warnings like candy for the last 2 months, half the time it never snowed...
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

SNAGGER

« Reply #245 on: Feb 08, 2011, 06:27 PM »
Was that the big March snow storm that melted all at once and flooded everyone on Oneida lake, Cross lake..and many more ? That was in 93 ..if I remember right?? that storm was something!!Snow was over the handle on my sliding glass door !!

Nope your thinking of the "Blizzard of "93"... March 12th I think, that was a monster, but statewide Esox, You ready for spring yet?
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

Simplecarppieguy

• Established in 1969, Fisherman by 1975..
« Reply #246 on: Feb 08, 2011, 06:33 PM »
  Nope your thinking of the "Blizzard of "93"... March 12th I think, that was a monster, but statewide Esox, You ready for spring yet?
I think we all are Snagger!  8)
My buddie Chris has been doing really well about 800 yards from your house!  ::)
16 kings, 100 dropped!! Its not all about how many you get to the bank, its about the fun and friendship!

SNAGGER

« Reply #247 on: Feb 08, 2011, 06:35 PM »
My buddie Chris has been doing really well about 800 yards from your house!  ::)

I know all about it, alot of hook ups the other day when I took a walk.......
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

SNAGGER

« Reply #248 on: Feb 08, 2011, 06:45 PM »

Hey you should see the long bridge pool, it's all shelf ice, with only a cut coming down the center... Looked cool as hell, should have brought my camera, just old prints, didn't see any fresh ones on the ice...
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

steelie24

• Hooked since first steel - 1965
« Reply #249 on: Feb 08, 2011, 06:49 PM »
here is what Buffalo NWS is thinking for next week...read the bottom part on the "LONG TERM /SATURDAY THROUGH TUESDAY/"...a good description of what is going on...well if you understand what they're saying...bottom line "warming"...

http://www.weather.gov/view/prodsByState.php?state=NY&prodtype=discussion#AFDBUF

SNAGGER

« Reply #250 on: Feb 08, 2011, 06:51 PM »
here is what Buffalo NWS is thinking for next week...read the bottom part on the "LONG TERM /SATURDAY THROUGH TUESDAY/"...a good description of what is going on...well if you understand what they're saying...bottom line "warming"...

http://www.weather.gov/view/prodsByState.php?state=NY&prodtype=discussion#AFDBUF

R.I.P Uncle Johnny

esox v

« Reply #251 on: Feb 08, 2011, 06:54 PM »
   Esox, You ready for spring yet?
:rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol: Dude !! YOU HAVE NO IDEA !! Today I got stuck in my driveway with a 4x4.. It's even making it tough to work !!

The most dangerous thing any nation faces..  is a citizenry capable of trusting a liar to lead them....

SNAGGER

« Reply #252 on: Feb 08, 2011, 07:02 PM »

Really cool stuff again Steelie24  ...never read a discusion about lake effect like this before, they really have a handle on what's going on in the micro setting..  Dave Eichorn used to get into discusions like this, made his channel nine forecast interesting..

Cool how they know the little details...

LAKE INSTABILITY PEAKS EARLY THIS EVENING WITH
CAPE AROUND 450J/KG AND EQUILIBRIUM LEVELS AROUND 10K FEET. THIS
SHOULD ALLOW FOR A NICE BAND TO DEVELOP FROM NEAR SODUS BAY TO NEAR
CATO AND EXTREME SOUTHERN OSWEGO COUNTY EARLY THIS EVENING. SNOWFALL
RATES MAY REACH 1-2 INCHES PER HOUR BRIEFLY.

THROUGH THE EVENING...THE BACKING WINDS WILL CARRY THIS BAND NORTH
ACROSS OSWEGO COUNTY. THE TRANSITORY NATURE OF THE BAND WILL PREVENT
ACCUMULATIONS FROM GETTING OUT OF CONTROL AT ANY GIVEN LOCATION...
WITH 4-6 INCHES IN PERSISTENT BANDS EXPECTED. BY LATE EVENING LAKE
INDUCED INSTABILITY QUICKLY DETERIORATES WITH EQUILIBRIUM LEVELS
FALLING TO BELOW 4K FEET BY MIDNIGHT. ADVISORIES STILL LOOK GOOD FOR
WAYNE/N CAYUGA/OSWEGO COUNTIES. EXPECT A RAPID WEAKENING OF THE BAND
AS IT LIFTS NORTH ACROSS THE TUG HILL REGION DURING THE LATE
EVENING. MAY SEE UP TO 3-4 INCHES ON THE WESTERN TUG HILL DUE TO
UPSLOPE...BUT IN GENERAL EXPECT ONLY AN INCH OR TWO ACROSS THE REST
OF LEWIS AND JEFFERSON COUNTY SO NO HEADLINES ARE NECESSARY FOR
THOSE COUNTIES.

ON WEDNESDAY MORNING WHATEVER IS LEFT OF THE LAKE EFFECT WILL BE
FOUND ACROSS MUCH OF JEFFERSON AND LEWIS COUNTIES. LAKE INSTABILITY
FURTHER WEAKENS WITH EQUILIBRIUM LEVELS DOWN BELOW 3K FEET. MAY SEE
LAKE EFFECT END ALTOGETHER FOR A FEW HOURS DURING THE LATE MORNING
AND EARLY AFTERNOON. WILL CARRY LIKELY POPS EARLY...THEN DROP TO
CHANCE WITH ANY ACCUMS AN INCH OR LESS THROUGH MID AFTERNOON.

BY LATE AFTERNOON THE ARCTIC FRONT WILL APPROACH...AND COLD AIR WILL
DEEPEN ONCE AGAIN WITH LAKE INDUCED EQUILIBRIUM LEVELS RISING ABOVE
6K FEET AFTER 21Z. THIS SHOULD ALLOW FOR A RESURGENCE OF LAKE EFFECT
DURING THE LATE AFTERNOON...AIDED BY INCREASING MOISTURE AND LOW
LEVEL CONVERGENCE FROM THE APPROACHING ARCTIC FRONT. THE LAKE EFFECT
SNOW WATCH WILL START AT 21Z WED FOR THIS.

THIS EVENT WILL GET UNDERWAY IN EARNEST LATE WEDNESDAY
AND WEDNESDAY EVENING AS A DEEP WESTERLY FLOW OF -18/20C H85 AIR
WILL CROSS OVER LAKE ONTARIO. A LOW SHEARED ENVIRONMENT CONTAINING A
3K FT THICK DENDRITIC SNOW GROWTH REGION AND A CAP OF ABOUT 10K FT
SHOULD ALLOW FOR AN IMPRESSIVE PLUME OF LAKE SNOW TO TAKE AIM ON THE
TUG HILL REGION. SINCE NEAR SFC TEMPS WILL BE IN THE VCNTY OF -7 TO
-10C (TEENS F)...SNOW TO WATER RATIOS SHOULD BE AROUND 25/30:1. THE
RESULTING LOW DENSITY SNOW WILL RAPIDLY ACCUMULATE...WITH AMOUNTS
WEDNESDAY NIGHT LIKELY REACHING A FOOT OR MORE ACROSS PARTS OF THE
TUG.

AN EVENT WITH THIS MUCH INSTABILITY...FETCH AND LACK OF SHEAR WOULD
NORMALLY HAVE A PRETTY GOOD CHANCE OF PRODUCING SOME LIGHTNING BUT
GIVEN THE DEGREE OF LOW LEVEL COLD AIR...IT MAY BE TOO COLD FOR
SIGNIFICANT GRAUPEL PRODUCTION. WHILE THUNDER CAN NEVER BE
COMPLETELY RULED OUT...WILL REFRAIN FROM MENTIONING ANY THUNDER WITH
THIS EVENT AT THIS TIME.

THE LAKE SNOWS EAST OF LK ONTARIO WILL CONTINUE THROUGH THE DAY
THURSDAY...ALTHOUGH HIGH PRESSURE BUILDING ACROSS THE OHIO VALLEY
WILL BACK THE STEERING FLOW DURING THE AFTERNOON AND EVENING. THIS
WILL LIFT THE MAIN SNOW BAND NORTH OF THE TUG HILL...BUT ADDITIONAL
ACCUMS OF 6 INCHES OR MORE IS CERTAINLY LIKELY FROM THE TUG ACROSS
SRN JEFFERSON COUNTY. A LOWERING CAP SHOULD ALSO WEAKEN THE ACTIVITY
DURING ITS NORTHWARDS DRIFT.

R.I.P Uncle Johnny

esox v

« Reply #253 on: Feb 08, 2011, 07:06 PM »

Looks like after Saturday all daytime temps will be above freezing in the mid 30's here.. :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie:

SNAGGER

« Reply #254 on: Feb 08, 2011, 07:11 PM »
Looks like after Saturday all daytime temps will be above freezing in the mid 30's here.. :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie:

That makes a mess, I hate this part of late winter, we need a good thaw then a nice re freeze for ice fishin if were going to be on the ice til mid late March...  A nice seasonal sunny streak would be better than what we probably got coming..  Not much sun this winter..
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.