FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD Thread  (Read 1084099 times)

Simplecarppieguy

• Established in 1969, Fisherman by 1975..
Re: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD BS Thread
« Reply #345 on: Feb 24, 2011, 06:28 PM »
         I was grumpy this morning Frank, I won't kill many, if any .. but it really is something how many we have lost this winter to improper picture takers , it seems every fish has to be documented these days , if it's your first, or a nice one or you keep them in the water til the last second...... fine , but if you land 17, do you need to take 17 photo's to prove your a great steelheader?..... single digit temps, might as well rope up all 17..just sayin...

We went from a 3 to 1 fish limit a few years back, what's the sense if there all just going to go belly up...........
I am with ya all the way Snagger... I guess low cold water really put a a hurting on them... You know my stance on limits. It's up to the fisherman to keep or kill.. I say keep them if they are not coming back.. I am sure you can find somebody who'll take them. I took a floater last sunday dark male meat wasn't to bad.. Just one out of three we seen.. The forth was dead and bloated... I guess the LFZ is full of fish and fly lifters.. I think, from the info I am getting they are floating down on a daily bases from the LFZ.. I'll say it...Don't fight your fish to death!! WE KNOW THIS, Some don't get it..
16 kings, 100 dropped!! Its not all about how many you get to the bank, its about the fun and friendship!

Dr. IceGeek

« Reply #346 on: Feb 24, 2011, 06:42 PM »
I am with ya all the way Snagger... I guess low cold water really put a a hurting on them... You know my stance on limits. It's up to the fisherman to keep or kill.. I say keep them if they are not coming back.. I am sure you can find somebody who'll take them. I took a floater last sunday dark male meat wasn't to bad.. Just one out of three we seen.. The forth was dead and bloated... I guess the LFZ is full of fish and fly lifters.. I think, from the info I am getting they are floating down on a daily bases from the LFZ.. I'll say it...Don't fight your fish to death!! WE KNOW THIS, Some don't get it..

On top of improper picture taking and overplaying fish...I also think a proper recovery/release is important....especially in the middle of winter....From my boat I put each fish on a boga which is attached to a rope and hang the fish off the side of the boat...the fish will orient itself upstream (as my boat is at anchor) and may stay on the boga for a few minutes....sometime even longer...(the rope is long enough that they often hang out under the boat)....every couple of minutes I check them and you can tell when they are ready to swim off on their own....too many people just release them without reviving them figuring its best just to get them right back in....I don't have  a problem with people keeping fish, but like snagger said....if you catch 15 a day and either overplay it, hold it out of the water too long for a pic, or don't revive it properly...any one of those things is likely to spell doom for the fish....or at least up the odds that it won't make it...so whether it's a 1 fish limit or a 3 fish limit, if you practice improper catch and release you are doing more harm than the guy who keeps one here or there....

tinsucks

« Reply #347 on: Feb 25, 2011, 07:28 AM »
......shane, looking forward to a visit soon..waiting for the dinner bell 

dance the tides

« Reply #348 on: Feb 25, 2011, 08:55 AM »
I think the Lower Fly Zone should use the same rules for releasing fish as they do in the Pacific Northwest.  If you are going to release a fish, you cannot take it completely out of the water, you must keep part of its head in the water at all times.  No boga grips.  If you take it out of the water, you MUST keep it.

ErnyeJSES

« Reply #349 on: Feb 25, 2011, 09:36 AM »
I think the Lower Fly Zone should use the same rules for releasing fish as they do in the Pacific Northwest.  If you are going to release a fish, you cannot take it completely out of the water, you must keep part of its head in the water at all times.  No boga grips.  If you take it out of the water, you MUST keep it.

Sounds like a great idea. When I was up to the river a couple weeks ago I was watching a few guys in the LFZ rip into fish. I watched them for maybe a half-hour and they probably hooked 8-10 fish and not a ONE was hooked legally. Most of them were being dragged in sideways or by the tail...I say, and I know a lot of people wont like this but,  make an indicator mandatory in the LFZ. It will keep presentations more vertical which will result in less foul hooking. Anyone can put on a sink tip line...or a few split shot and drag the bottom for fish (its called salmon season).

KingPerch Jr.

• SOCCER: Gotta love it!!
« Reply #350 on: Feb 25, 2011, 09:37 AM »
Sounds like a great idea. When I was up to the river a couple weeks ago I was watching a few guys in the LFZ rip into fish. I watched them for maybe a half-hour and they probably hooked 8-10 fish and not a ONE was hooked legally. Most of them were being dragged in sideways or by the tail...I say, and I know a lot of people wont like this but,  make an indicator mandatory in the LFZ. It will keep presentations more vertical which will result in less foul hooking. Anyone can put on a sink tip line...or a few split shot and drag the bottom for fish (its called salmon season).
Good point!!
Red Sox!
Bartel Road Bait and Tackle

esox v

« Reply #351 on: Feb 25, 2011, 09:47 AM »
 They do way to many drugs on the West Coast.  :rotflol: :rotflol: What if the fish jumps... do you half to bonk it on the head ?? Why take a chance that in may live and kill it . Anyone care to apply this logic to another situation ??  
"There is no crueler tyranny than that which is perpetrated
under the shield of law and in the name of justice."
--Charles de Montesquieu (1689-1755)
For tyranny to work some idiots are required…

The most dangerous thing any nation faces..  is a citizenry capable of trusting a liar to lead them....

esox v

« Reply #352 on: Feb 25, 2011, 09:52 AM »
Yea man... I got that.. I can't even watch what goes on up there.. I've been considering taking a week and composing a video of what goes on  there. That crap needs to stop.

The most dangerous thing any nation faces..  is a citizenry capable of trusting a liar to lead them....

KingPerch

« Reply #353 on: Feb 25, 2011, 10:51 AM »
Seems as though, even, the fine art of FLYFISHING has gone bad!!!!  Too bad really........ Good points ErnyeJSES!!--KP 8)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

floatfisher

« Reply #354 on: Feb 25, 2011, 11:33 AM »
i personally fished the lfz a couple weeks ago with an indicator and outfished everybody and the fish were all fair.... imagine that, it can be done. i saw a few fish hooked up but all fouled.
whats the point, its too hard to keep count lol if you wanna know, just ask.

draketrutta

« Reply #355 on: Feb 25, 2011, 12:27 PM »

If the survival rates of the LFZ Steelhead were top priority, then the 2lb test tippets and #22 midges (the main underlying reasons for overplayed fish by the flea-flickers) should be outlawed

And replaced with vertical –presenters – like highly-skilled Centerpinners..

I hereby nominate SNAGGER to manage the conversion project. Please, please, please YOUTUBE it.. ;D

Hehe – a little froth for the LFZ water frothers to ponder.

<'}}}}>><  *** just say NO to DPviaBAJwithADK-QTIP *** <>>{{{{'>

JiggerMan

• Man do I love Fishing
« Reply #356 on: Feb 25, 2011, 02:24 PM »
seein all the guys pinning reminded a i have a center pin rod that I would not getting rid of.  if you know any body that needs one ...... have them PM

its a stanton reel and a st croix rod 13' wild river. 

fishingjason

« Reply #357 on: Feb 25, 2011, 02:57 PM »
Interesting thoughts on the regulations and such on the Salmon River.
I honestly believe that it is impossible to make all regulations just and fair to all anglers up there. The fly zone is an interesting spot when it comes to regulations. I enjoy indicator fishing in the fly zone. I see indy fisherman rip fish Indy fishing too. They integrate split shot with an indicator a couple feet above the last shot and bam, you have fish on. There's a loop hole for everything I guess right.
The fly guys don't like centerpinners because theyplay the fish from having too much line out. The centerpinners don't like the fly guys or bottom bouncers because the fly guys are spooking the water from getting too close and the bottom bouncers are lining fish.
AHHHH! I'm putting my Islander on my TFO 9 weight and shotting it with #2 lead.
I use a big hoop net to land fish. I have recieved multipal negative comments about that from the same people that use tailing gloves and let the fish roll and bounce all over the shore for half a minute berfore they can grab it. My fish don't have to come out of the water unless I want to photo it.
Tight lines to all.
There will be an article in Sundays Syracuse paper about fishing the SR.

esox v

« Reply #358 on: Feb 25, 2011, 03:08 PM »
Interesting thoughts on the regulations and such on the Salmon River. I honestly believe that it is impossible to make all regulations just and fair to all anglers up there. .I enjoy indicator fishing int the fly zone. You can still rip fish Indy fishing too. Integrated split shot with an indicator a couple feet above the last shot and bam, you have fish on. There's a loop hole for everything I guess right.
The fly guys don't like centerpinners because theyplay the fish from having too much line out. The centerpinners don't like the fly guys or bottom bouncers because the fly guys are spooking the water from getting too close and the bottom bouncers are lining fish.
AHHHH! I'm putting my Islander on my TFO 9 weight and shotting it with #2 lead.
I use a big hoop net to land fish. I have recieved multipal negative comments about that from the same people that use tailing gloves and let the fish roll and bounce all over the shore for half a minute berfore they can grab it. My fish don't have to come out of the water unless I want to photo it.
Tight lines to all.
There will be an article in Sundays paper about Pulaski.
Bla.. bla... bla.. who do you think you are ?? The guy that put on a clinic and took me to school yesterday ?? ;D ;D

paul young

« Reply #359 on: Feb 25, 2011, 05:25 PM »
could you explain the part about the split shot and indicatorwhen flyfishing ???? are you saying you use no split shot?-Paul

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.