FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD Thread  (Read 1084351 times)

esox v

Re: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD BS Thread
« Reply #495 on: Mar 12, 2011, 09:55 PM »
Well I can say if your going to fish that high.. Pray for 1200-1800cfs!!! You can toss anything you want at this point. Blue,Green,Orange,white,yellow sacs,pink worms and beads.. All colors of beads seem to be working still.. 10mm are the best in High off color water. I wish I had 12mm today.. esoxv and I did two for four.. One Brown one steel.. It was Ripping!!! "The Flyfishermen" or whatever they call it up there, where just snagging away below the bridge in altmar.. Seen one take a dip.. You got to love a 33deg dip at 3200cfs. BTW we float Issiah, So if you have some floats you'll have a blast!

Good luck!!
SCG

Nice... to get a good look at all the different runs at that water level.. Lot of walking...alittle fishing... good times wish I had my bottom bouncer today...
"There is no crueler tyranny than that which is perpetrated
under the shield of law and in the name of justice."
--Charles de Montesquieu (1689-1755)
For tyranny to work some idiots are required…

The most dangerous thing any nation faces..  is a citizenry capable of trusting a liar to lead them....

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #496 on: Mar 13, 2011, 05:01 PM »

Took a drive up to the Res..........   They must be letting out what's coming in , because it's height hasn't changed in 3 days, a little more runoff then I thought... ground is really saturated, fields have water on them everywhere.. Hey Bob there was about 20 inches of snow up by dam rd.  and snowing hard when  I was there. Hopefully we'll get 1800cfs soon, maybe tomorrow...alot of warm weather in the forecast after tomorrow.
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

Simplecarppieguy

• Established in 1969, Fisherman by 1975..
« Reply #497 on: Mar 14, 2011, 05:56 AM »
I know it's Monday BUT I am thinking, what part of the River I am going to fish on Saturday!
16 kings, 100 dropped!! Its not all about how many you get to the bank, its about the fun and friendship!

bcons

« Reply #498 on: Mar 14, 2011, 06:58 AM »
Trying to figure out where to fish this week before & after work! 
Although I'm still watching the levels.  I have a ways to go, before catching up to some of you guys with my ability to fish the higher water.
Personally I like 750-1200, I walk alot, cross etc. 
1500-1800 sure would be nice though.  2250+ not crossing, & limits the areas can walk too. 
Here's hoping since Snagger noticed the res is at the same level as days ago, it'll get back down there soon. 
Good luck!

I was berated for fishing & asked recently by a PETA type.  You don't keep fish do you?  I responded "No I don't like aquariums. I just treat them like a quick haircut, & take a little of the sides"

esox v

« Reply #499 on: Mar 14, 2011, 07:41 AM »
I know it's Monday BUT I am thinking, what part of the River I am going to fish on Saturday!
Your going with me... Don't worry about it. ;D ;D     
"There is no crueler tyranny than that which is perpetrated
under the shield of law and in the name of justice."
--Charles de Montesquieu (1689-1755)
For tyranny to work some idiots are required…

The most dangerous thing any nation faces..  is a citizenry capable of trusting a liar to lead them....

Simplecarppieguy

« Reply #500 on: Mar 14, 2011, 04:20 PM »
Your going with me... Don't worry about it. ;D ;D     
North Sandy will Rock!! there is no fish anywhere else!! Oswego is full of fish too!! ;)
16 kings, 100 dropped!! Its not all about how many you get to the bank, its about the fun and friendship!

Simplecarppieguy

« Reply #501 on: Mar 14, 2011, 04:23 PM »
I Smell a Stormy Coming!!! :laugh:

ErnyeJSES

« Reply #502 on: Mar 14, 2011, 05:26 PM »
Well after a long...cold winter working floats I decided to put the pin away and hit the river today with the spey setup. Started around the trestle area...water was too high to cross that little channel up stream so just hung around there without any grabs. Decided to change spots around 10. Went up to Altmar, very few people which is understandable with the water being as high as it is. Walked right down to a vacant (minus 2 driftboats) schoolhouse and got a nice brown to grab on the fourth or fifth swing. She was real close to the bank up above where the trees are down and she took this articulated marabou pattern I just tied up ;D. It's been quite awhile since I've felt a take from a fish, and I have to say my heart palpitated a little bit. 

Worked my way down to the tail out lost one smaller steelie, changed flies a couple times and then <u>WHAM!</u> I get a grab from a fish that just about rips the rod out of my hand. The drag is screaming, I'm trying to tighten it down while keeping a palm on the spool......this fish takes me straight to backing on the first run!! Which has never happened to me while swinging flies for steelies. I'm standing at the tailout of the schoolhouse and my line is just about 3/4 of the way to the wires. I immediately start to salivate with the thought of a 15lber or maybe even 20....just maybe..., like any time a big fish shakes that head a few times. I'm hoping this fish takes a run to the opposite bank but of course not, runs directly towards the bank I'm on and goes around that tiny corner that is way to deep to go around right now and pops me off.

Would have liked to get a look at that one but it was just nice to be out there doing the spey thing. Although I have admit I did stop and watch a few guys working the floats and it got me wishing I brought the pin along too. 

ErnyeJSES

« Reply #503 on: Mar 14, 2011, 05:45 PM »
The one brought to the bank

Stormy_NY

« Reply #504 on: Mar 14, 2011, 05:47 PM »
I Smell a Stormy Coming!!! :laugh:

I got tired of beating your friend up on the ice .... I am getting the itch  ;D

Simplecarppieguy

« Reply #505 on: Mar 14, 2011, 06:09 PM »
Get your Azz up here man your missing out!

Stormy_NY

« Reply #506 on: Mar 14, 2011, 06:46 PM »
Get your Azz up here man your missing out!

I was up Sunday .... Still too high for me ..... I never made it out of Snaggers chair  ;D

lehigh vally

« Reply #507 on: Mar 14, 2011, 06:51 PM »
Nice pictures of your brown Ernye :clapping:

adam2000

• theres beer down here we cant forget
« Reply #508 on: Mar 14, 2011, 11:36 PM »

I got tired of beating your friend up on the ice .... I am getting the itch  ;D

how many eyes did you get saturday? 0

Stormy_NY