FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD Thread  (Read 1084077 times)

hookembob

Re: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD BS Thread
« Reply #510 on: Mar 15, 2011, 09:14 AM »
Any Connecticut fishing people going to this :
George Douglas
Tuesday, 3/15, 7:30 p.m. ~ I will be speaking in Bridgeport, CT -- Free and open to the public -- Free pizza too!
Calendar - The Nutmeg Chapter of Trout Unlimited
www.nutmegtu.org

Bob

BAZOOKAJOE

« Reply #511 on: Mar 15, 2011, 12:41 PM »
Well after a long...cold winter working floats I decided to put the pin away and hit the river today with the spey setup. Started around the trestle area...water was too high to cross that little channel up stream so just hung around there without any grabs. Decided to change spots around 10. Went up to Altmar, very few people which is understandable with the water being as high as it is. Walked right down to a vacant (minus 2 driftboats) schoolhouse and got a nice brown to grab on the fourth or fifth swing. She was real close to the bank up above where the trees are down and she took this articulated marabou pattern I just tied up ;D. It's been quite awhile since I've felt a take from a fish, and I have to say my heart palpitated a little bit. 

Worked my way down to the tail out lost one smaller steelie, changed flies a couple times and then <u>WHAM!</u> I get a grab from a fish that just about rips the rod out of my hand. The drag is screaming, I'm trying to tighten it down while keeping a palm on the spool......this fish takes me straight to backing on the first run!! Which has never happened to me while swinging flies for steelies. I'm standing at the tailout of the schoolhouse and my line is just about 3/4 of the way to the wires. I immediately start to salivate with the thought of a 15lber or maybe even 20....just maybe..., like any time a big fish shakes that head a few times. I'm hoping this fish takes a run to the opposite bank but of course not, runs directly towards the bank I'm on and goes around that tiny corner that is way to deep to go around right now and pops me off.

Would have liked to get a look at that one but it was just nice to be out there doing the spey thing. Although I have admit I did stop and watch a few guys working the floats and it got me wishing I brought the pin along too. 

Heck of a story!  Gotta love those monsters you never see.  I can't tell you the number of times i've looked away or lit a smoke and i got a monster on....that i'm not ready for.   :o

esox v

« Reply #512 on: Mar 15, 2011, 02:03 PM »
Heck of a story!  Gotta love those monsters you never see. 
Thats why there monsters !! BECAUSE YOU NEVER SEE THEM !! Probably hooked a fresh water clam !! ;D ;D I'm just kidding !!
"There is no crueler tyranny than that which is perpetrated
under the shield of law and in the name of justice."
--Charles de Montesquieu (1689-1755)
For tyranny to work some idiots are required…

The most dangerous thing any nation faces..  is a citizenry capable of trusting a liar to lead them....

ErnyeJSES

« Reply #513 on: Mar 15, 2011, 02:47 PM »
rivers back down to 1800ish...

Simplecarppieguy

• Established in 1969, Fisherman by 1975..
« Reply #514 on: Mar 15, 2011, 07:11 PM »
I fished alittle today after work.. I did 1 for 2... I'll post picture later!! I also heard that the fishing was good in all the regular spots today from a good source..
16 kings, 100 dropped!! Its not all about how many you get to the bank, its about the fun and friendship!

draketrutta

« Reply #515 on: Mar 15, 2011, 08:51 PM »
I fished alittle today after work.. I did 1 for 2... I'll post picture later!! I also heard that the fishing was good in all the regular spots today from a good source..

ya butt

WHICH HAT DID YOU WEAR?
The "Nanook from the North" Hat?
or
The frazzled around the edges "Brokeback Cowboy " Hat?

;D
<'}}}}>><  *** just say NO to DPviaBAJwithADK-QTIP *** <>>{{{{'>

esox v

« Reply #516 on: Mar 15, 2011, 09:31 PM »
ya butt

WHICH HAT DID YOU WEAR?
The "Nanook from the North" Hat?
or
The frazzled around the edges "Brokeback Cowboy " Hat?

;D
He wear's that broke back mountain cowboy hat fishing with me... That baby's flying off... after I hook it in my back cast...
  Dang Frank...  how the heck did that happen... :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:
"There is no crueler tyranny than that which is perpetrated
under the shield of law and in the name of justice."
--Charles de Montesquieu (1689-1755)
For tyranny to work some idiots are required…

The most dangerous thing any nation faces..  is a citizenry capable of trusting a liar to lead them....

fishit

« Reply #517 on: Mar 15, 2011, 09:46 PM »
rivers back down to 1800ish...
Nice looking flies...I still need to hook up with you this spring for some jigs before I head up to Alaska...I will be in Oswego Monday - Friday from 5-6 until June 6...I will drop in and look for you once the waters become a little more favorable...

Have you ever swung a crawdad pattern in the summer for smallies?
1,168,124 Trout caught and released since 1997...another good year for the trout...

adam2000

• theres beer down here we cant forget
« Reply #518 on: Mar 15, 2011, 10:58 PM »
Yes  you beat me 1 out of 5 -6 times ? 
i beat you on eyes every time

ErnyeJSES

« Reply #519 on: Mar 16, 2011, 09:35 AM »
Nice looking flies...I still need to hook up with you this spring for some jigs before I head up to Alaska...I will be in Oswego Monday - Friday from 5-6 until June 6...I will drop in and look for you once the waters become a little more favorable...

Have you ever swung a crawdad pattern in the summer for smallies?

I fish just about every pattern during the warm water season on the Oswego including a bunch of different crawdad patterns...but a good old clouser is hard to beat on most days. I was dumbfounded last season, some days you could catch 30-40 bass in a couple hours. Earlier on in the spring is the time to get the big ones though.

Took a look at the river this morning after running some errands and she's just about up over the railing on the lower walk way on the west side. I bet that channel is pushing 25-30ft deep now. The res. for the power plant has been filled up for a couple weeks now....and I'm not sure if it was just the high water making a current but it looked to me as though there may have been a couple of turbines on which is great news, we may see a return to normal water levels sometime this century. Mabye in time to catch a few of the many steelhead that I'm sure havent seen a presentation all season.

there has been a horde of gulls over the river for a few days now swooping down and eating baitfish....this high water is rough.

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #520 on: Mar 16, 2011, 12:58 PM »
                   Keep the stories coming Erney.......... they are great...., feels like I'm right there with you.. ;D

Just wrapped up my Oneida Lake Ice walleye season, now it's time to focus on Steelhead..perfect timing too, water just dropped to a great level...1500cfs , creeks are in good shape ... Walk off one bonanza and wade into another, got to love it up here.!!!!

Not the Salmon River, but heres a few pic's from Oneida Ice.

First Ice "Shootout"

Last Ice "Cage Match"

Last 2 days on the Ice!!

R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

H.T.

• I AM PROUD TO BE AN *OPPORTUNIST*
« Reply #521 on: Mar 16, 2011, 04:38 PM »
nice looking eyes Snagger,fillet  ;D ;D its silver salmon time now 8)

KingPerch Jr.

• SOCCER: Gotta love it!!
« Reply #522 on: Mar 16, 2011, 05:16 PM »
                  Keep the stories coming Erney.......... they are great...., feels like I'm right there with you.. ;D

Just wrapped up my Oneida Lake Ice walleye season, now it's time to focus on Steelhead..perfect timing too, water just dropped to a great level...1500cfs , creeks are in good shape too... Walk off one bonanza and wade into another, got to love it up here.!!!!

Not the Salmon River, but heres a few pic's from Oneida Ice.

First Ice "Shootout"

Last Ice "Cage Match"

Last 2 days on the Ice!!

Hey Shane, I think I smell a steelhead steel cage match coming on!! I am locked and loaded for steelies!!
Red Sox!
Bartel Road Bait and Tackle

Gamma Fish

« Reply #523 on: Mar 16, 2011, 05:19 PM »
Hey Shane, I think I smell a steelhead steel cage match coming on!! I am locked and loaded for steelies!!
Smells like walleyes in here  ::) ::) ::)
Plastics are Fantastic !

KingPerch Jr.

• SOCCER: Gotta love it!!
« Reply #524 on: Mar 16, 2011, 05:19 PM »
Smells like walleyes in here  ::) ::) ::)
I am more ready for steelies!!
Red Sox!
Bartel Road Bait and Tackle

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.