FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD Thread  (Read 1084245 times)

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
Re: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD BS Thread
« Reply #780 on: Mar 28, 2011, 05:53 PM »

Hit the River for an hour ... fished floats and beads again ...... Still very windy and cold out ,
                                   no ice in the guides atleast..hooked 2 landed this one... about a 11lb. female.

R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

SNAGGER

« Reply #781 on: Mar 28, 2011, 05:56 PM »
I have never seen that before Snagger.. You right no need to worry about anything yet. The DEC SHOULD know what it is. Could be a Grub that lives in the waters and in there weakend state couldn't fight them off? Are they in chromers and darkies or just darkies?

After talking with my Neighbor Big Don , he said he read articles about this being common with sea going Atlantics.
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

monic20

« Reply #782 on: Mar 28, 2011, 06:18 PM »
ive seen these ugly things on perch in gills and on meat in a pond i ice fish in sullivian county ny

cNr1day

« Reply #783 on: Mar 28, 2011, 06:44 PM »
 After talking with my Neighbor Big Don , he said he read articles about this being common with sea going Atlantics.

seems this has been seen before in NY - seems from the responses to the forum it's naturally occurring

"This gill parasite appears to be a species of Salmonicola, which is a copepod parasite often referred to as fish louse or gill louse. A biologist out of our Dunkirk office has seen quite bad infestations on Lake Erie steelhead in the past (individuals not whole population). Some fish to the point where it would be detrimental to their health. This is a natural occurring parasite whose presence fluctuates from year to year. Curiously, anglers see it more in early running fish than in fish running later in the fall and winter."

http://www.sandersoutdoors.com/Community/Forums/default.aspx?g=posts&t=32256

kc

« Reply #784 on: Mar 28, 2011, 08:02 PM »
Snagger your inbox is full.

SNAGGER

« Reply #785 on: Mar 28, 2011, 08:09 PM »

all good Kc.

Odd you say Lake Erie cnr.....My neighbor talked to a fisheries person from Lake Erie today about those parasites, these Steelhead that have been coming into his station are from all over too.. South sandy, skinner, Trout brook and this River, hope they don't become some sort of a problem to the adult steelhead's survival.
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

slimjig

« Reply #786 on: Mar 29, 2011, 01:11 AM »
hey everybody, dont mean to change subject on ya but, i was looking for some info on smoking king salmon and steelhead... i have some king salmon fillets (no skin) and a 9lb trout  (gutted with just the head and tail cut off and skin on) in my freezer, i was hoping to get a quick help on basic brine recipes and how i should cook the trout..   thanks ;D

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #787 on: Mar 29, 2011, 06:56 AM »

the first thing you have to do when smokeing anything is to cure it , witch is to say a salt and sugar rub . there are many resipies for a cure and all effect the flavor so do a lil research online then go with one that sounds good to you . then rub the fish down on both sides and put it on a rack over a tray and put it in the fridge for at leaast 12 hrs . then there is a hot smoke , or a cold smoke . hot smoke is faster , but has less flavor , in my opinion . cold smoke takes 6 to 8 hrs , hot smoke an hour or less depending on the size of the fillet .

when you cure the fish be ready for a mess , as it removes the liquid from the meat . 1st time i did it at home i didnt use a deep enough drain pan , and the ole lady had a kitten . i found myself emptying and scrubbing the fridge at 5am  ;D

bcons

« Reply #788 on: Mar 29, 2011, 07:08 AM »
       when you cure the fish be ready for a mess , as it removes the liquid from the meat . 1st time i did it at home i didnt use a deep enough drain pan , and the ole lady had a kitten . i found myself emptying and scrubbing the fridge at 5am  ;D

Hmm I'm not the only one to make that mistake?  I don't know what I got a worse response for that, or letting some maple syrup I was finishing inside on the stove boil over fill the house with smoke, and turn the entire stove top to goo  ::) ::)  I've since been told I'm not allowed to do it inside anymore.
I was berated for fishing & asked recently by a PETA type.  You don't keep fish do you?  I responded "No I don't like aquariums. I just treat them like a quick haircut, & take a little of the sides"

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #789 on: Mar 29, 2011, 07:23 AM »

:rotflol: :clapping: :thumbup_smilie: thats a good one lol

GAMBELL

• 24 lb. 11 oz. laker
« Reply #790 on: Mar 29, 2011, 08:43 AM »
I caught a steelhead out in the lake 4 years ago with the same parasites.  This fish was loaded with them (gills).  DEC was not really interested in them when I called. 

kowboy

« Reply #791 on: Mar 29, 2011, 09:32 AM »
     Back from aruba had agoodtime caught this tuna and then had it for dinner at my hotel that night it was delisssssss. Now im ready to get into some ny fishing so will be looking for my friends to catch me up on things. I half to look back and see what equipment im going to need so to all my peeeps who helped looking forward to hearing from you all.

KingPerch

« Reply #792 on: Mar 29, 2011, 09:54 AM »
Looks like you had fun Kowboy!! Nice tuna!! I hope that nice weather followed you home!!! ;)--KP  OH, Nice hat by the way!! Go Yankees!!!! :flag:
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

Smells Like Fish NH

« Reply #793 on: Mar 29, 2011, 10:37 AM »
OH, Nice hat by the way!! Go Yankees!!!! :flag:

Eff the Yankee's, GO SOX!!!!

LOL
If anyone is interested in being in a FB group about NH fishing with few limitations and no Richard Craniums...send me a PM... 3000+members strong and growing! Search "New Hampshire Fishing" and ask to join

KingPerch

« Reply #794 on: Mar 29, 2011, 11:01 AM »
Eff the Yankee's, GO SOX!!!!

LOL
;D Taking the family to Cape Cod this august ....KP Jr. is a HUGE SOX fan.......seems as though Boston is in order! :whistling: :whistling: ;D ;)--KP 8)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.