FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD Thread  (Read 1084115 times)

fishing mechanic

• Wrenching to Fish
Re: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD BS Thread
« Reply #810 on: Mar 30, 2011, 02:41 AM »

the first thing you have to do when smokeing anything is to cure it , witch is to say a salt and sugar rub . there are many resipies for a cure and all effect the flavor so do a lil research online then go with one that sounds good to you . then rub the fish down on both sides and put it on a rack over a tray and put it in the fridge for at leaast 12 hrs . then there is a hot smoke , or a cold smoke . hot smoke is faster , but has less flavor , in my opinion . cold smoke takes 6 to 8 hrs , hot smoke an hour or less depending on the size of the fillet .

when you cure the fish be ready for a mess , as it removes the liquid from the meat . 1st time i did it at home i didnt use a deep enough drain pan , and the ole lady had a kitten . i found myself emptying and scrubbing the fridge at 5am  ;D

Forgot to to add the most important step, especially with gamey tasting fish like salmon Mr. Ed.... before the curing process, soak the filets in a brine solution overnight, then give them a thorough rinse.  Now continue on with recipe ;)

kowboy

« Reply #811 on: Mar 30, 2011, 08:04 AM »
  Wow some real nice fish in them pics. Of course i had to go back and read all the notes since i was gone aweek. Want to do some of the river fishing, but dont have the equipment or knowledge willing to learn if anyone wants to give me some direction. While i was in Aruba last week met aguy from Maine and we were talking fishing and he to is on iceshanty, we both laughed as were both addicted to it, although i was shocked he didnt like to eat fish. Well any help would b appreciated. Kowboy

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #812 on: Mar 30, 2011, 08:44 AM »
     Nice Fish Kowboyup

Hey Kowboy.. Anything you want to know about the Salmon River fishing just give me a shout, this will be my 33rd spring fishing it.  Alots changed over the years but it's a fun place, it can be tough at times and it can be great.. Sometimes it's crowded and sometimes you got runs to yourself. Theres lots of ways to fish it..

Oh forgot to say ... That loose gravel left over from the big flood last october has shifted around again..hate to say it but last weeks 3800cfs changed the River enough that we have to re learn it again...

A guest staying here from VT. just came in and said he had his best bead and float morning he's ever had, said he's hooked atleast a dozen so far today. Looks like the fun has begun. He said the action was as good as the high bridge in Pulaski last April.
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

go-phillies

• THE HECK WITH WORKIN!! TIME FOR FISHIN!!!!!
« Reply #813 on: Mar 30, 2011, 09:04 AM »
hey kp    if you go to the canal  try sandwich marina first   incoming high and out going  if no luck  go down to borne  at the railroad trestle  had luck at both  early august  used power bait 6"  shad and bunker   keep the hat  I already have one   used it once  didnt have ant toilet paper  worked good   HA-HA-HA_   RICK
9/11/2001 FOREVER     -if fishing was a job,  nobody would retire,  a bad day fishing still beats a good day workin, so I finally gave up workin ,, another year, another excuse to get up to A.O.L.   FISH ON!! salmon River N.Y.!!!

SNAGGER

« Reply #814 on: Mar 30, 2011, 09:35 AM »

Looks like the Drift boats are getting wise to our mid day game, alot of boats just going by my house right now at 10:30am.... Never seen so many boats as this year, guess I'll have to do some recon before I hit the River today....
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #815 on: Mar 30, 2011, 09:53 AM »

Forgot to to add the most important step, especially with gamey tasting fish like salmon Mr. Ed.... before the curing process, soak the filets in a brine solution overnight, then give them a thorough rinse.  Now continue on with recipe ;)
brineing does basicly the same thing as cureing mr turtle head  ;) its an either or thing  :P

kowboy

« Reply #816 on: Mar 30, 2011, 12:15 PM »
Snagger thanks, would need to know what gear to get to start as have some, but not alot would probably head to Gander as its the closest unless i order somthing from Cabelas. Im off till the 3rd of April so i can get there like yesterday to get gear. lol

KingPerch

« Reply #817 on: Mar 30, 2011, 01:21 PM »
hey kp    if you go to the canal  try sandwich marina first   incoming high and out going  if no luck  go down to borne  at the railroad trestle  had luck at both  early august  used power bait 6"  shad and bunker   keep the hat  I already have one   used it once  didnt have ant toilet paper  worked good   HA-HA-HA_    RICK
Real nice Rick!! Just to think we just started being friends!!! I'll remember that...... Thanks for the tips on fishing....and FOOD!!! Jr. is going to have a blast!!! OH, SR. will too!!! ;

Shane, did the high water move that rock pile into the hole?? Bummer if it did! :-\  Titelines!--KP 8)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

kowboy

« Reply #818 on: Mar 30, 2011, 04:18 PM »
KP thanks for help will do that

KingPerch

« Reply #819 on: Mar 30, 2011, 04:25 PM »
KP thanks for help will do that
Anytime Kowboy!! ;) I'm still a rookie on that river, make sure you talk to SNAGGER for more details!! He'll set you in the direction you wanna go!! ;) Have fun!!--KP 8)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

adam2000

• theres beer down here we cant forget
« Reply #820 on: Mar 30, 2011, 04:40 PM »
brineing does basicly the same thing as cureing mr turtle head  ;) its an either or thing  :P
brineing changes the molecular structure of the proteins in the meat, curing cures it, very diffrent mr ed, how they biting down there doots

kc

« Reply #821 on: Mar 30, 2011, 06:47 PM »
Hit the river today. Second cast and was tight to a small chromer. And that was all she wrote. Never another bite all day.
 Was nice meeting you Shane. Thanks for the quick lesson. I can see I have to change out that line. Too stiff. Glad to see you had some action.
 Talked with a few guys who said the bite was on early down low. Also watched a guy hit 3 on night crawlers. He also had a couple more on when I walked down the river. Not alot of hook ups from what I saw today.

fenwick2010

« Reply #822 on: Mar 30, 2011, 06:47 PM »
Just got some new materials for some steelie jigs .  Got 50 16th oz ball head jig heads with a 2 x strong mustad black nickel hook. No more bending the hooks out on a big fish .... Some marabou in white and black , And also some Schallapen feathers.  Have been using straight marabou all this year untill I watched a few people tying with schallapen feathers , the jigs turned out great ! and you only use 2 feathers compared to a ton of wasted marabou to make a full jig   Anyone else out there fishing the SR tie their own jigs ???   Last jig is using just marabou.

fenwick2010

« Reply #823 on: Mar 30, 2011, 06:57 PM »
And a few pics of my biggest Steelie caught in Salmon river earlier in the year 34 " ...

SNAGGER

« Reply #824 on: Mar 30, 2011, 07:38 PM »
Hit the river today. Second cast and was tight to a small chromer. And that was all she wrote. Never another bite all day.
 Was nice meeting you Shane. Thanks for the quick lesson. I can see I have to change out that line. Too stiff. Glad to see you had some action.
 Talked with a few guys who said the bite was on early down low. Also watched a guy hit 3 on night crawlers. He also had a couple more on when I walked down the river. Not alot of hook ups from what I saw today.

Really Nice meeting you KC!! ... when we left the schoolhouse we were still at only a couple hook ups around 230pm, but that would soon change.. Took a drift boat ride down the River with Mark Sabia from Northwoods Outfitters a little after noon... Me.. my buddy Wayno (who took his watermaster raft ), Jerry from Vt and markie ended up landing 14 steelhead for 34 hooked, all on floats... weather was great and so was the fishing, never even made it too the trestle pool before it got dark... We had 3 doubles and one triple ... took a pile of pic's I'll post later after I get them sent to me...   Just a spectacular relaxing day on the River ... ;D

Awesome Steelhead Fenwick.. :thumbup_smilie:
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.