FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD Thread  (Read 1084332 times)

adam2000

• theres beer down here we cant forget
Re: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD BS Thread
« Reply #960 on: Apr 06, 2011, 08:12 PM »
I don't get the long fore grips on most fixed seat float rod's.. With center pin fishing your hand will never be up there while fishing.. Even with a spinning reel I usually have my hand wrapped around the reel and on the reel seat. Most of the European float rods have a very short foregrip similar to a standard spinning rod . Doesn't seem to serve a purpose to me...

Im with ya

timdog

« Reply #961 on: Apr 06, 2011, 08:35 PM »
sweat stick DC... 11 ft talon eh?hmm, i think i may have to do a little investigating on that model.

Essox... most of the old school canadians from Ontario and BC fished that style handle as a means of leverage when turning a fish. using their free hand to pull back on the very front part of the grip(called bridging) while pushing the rear towards the fish. i've seen  guys shatter  rods by bridging with their free hand on the bare part of a rod between the front grip and 1st guide. the cork that far ahead acts as a buffer, preventing  too much pressure from being exerted on a small area. my sage has a short fore grip and a long rear grip where i use my fore arm as the leverage point. the longer rear grip on a 13 foot rod balences a lot better depending on the weight of your float reel. the only reason i used the old school type grip on my 11 footer was because i wanted to get as much length as possible out of the 11 foot blank. the handle configuration is pretty neat and serves its purpose. you'll see me with my free hand's pointing finger hooked around the top of the fore grip putting the boots to a fish with side pressure, pulling him back upstream. hopefully, you'll get to see it this spring  8)

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #962 on: Apr 06, 2011, 08:40 PM »

I grab my blank when I'm horsing fish in , have my whole life, no broken poles yet.. You kind of get the feel of when to lay off over time.. Not telling you nothing you don't know Timdog, sure beats all that cork though for me..... Man I really can put some pressure on those Raven, Cortland and St. Croix blanks, they are beasts. ;D
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

timdog

« Reply #963 on: Apr 06, 2011, 08:52 PM »
 ive seen some pretty neat float rod handles over the years snag. the guy that built my sage (john witzke) used to build rods for his clients with a short, hollowed out peice of wood that matched his custom butt caps and reel seats. he'd slide this peice onto the blank before wrapping the butt section of the rod and it would slide forward, in front of the fore grip,  with the guys finger on it whent he wanted to turn a fish.

SNAGGER

« Reply #964 on: Apr 06, 2011, 09:27 PM »

Sounds like cool stuff, I'd be afraid too use something that nice .... Drifter has some really nice lookin work, have you seen it?
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

lambaste em

• WHERE THE SUCKA'S AT!!
« Reply #965 on: Apr 06, 2011, 09:34 PM »
How about those red sox 0-5    ;D ;D

SNAGGER

« Reply #966 on: Apr 06, 2011, 09:44 PM »

Is that really there record ?, we've dug are way back from worse.
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

esox v

« Reply #967 on: Apr 06, 2011, 09:47 PM »
Simmer down Dave !! ;D ;D
"There is no crueler tyranny than that which is perpetrated
under the shield of law and in the name of justice."
--Charles de Montesquieu (1689-1755)
For tyranny to work some idiots are required…

The most dangerous thing any nation faces..  is a citizenry capable of trusting a liar to lead them....

esox v

« Reply #968 on: Apr 06, 2011, 09:52 PM »
 I always keep my two fingers on the spool.. pivot my wrist and lock my thumb around the butt section and put the wood to them... I would never grab the rod blank unless it was a meat stick !!
"There is no crueler tyranny than that which is perpetrated
under the shield of law and in the name of justice."
--Charles de Montesquieu (1689-1755)
For tyranny to work some idiots are required…

The most dangerous thing any nation faces..  is a citizenry capable of trusting a liar to lead them....

SNAGGER

« Reply #969 on: Apr 06, 2011, 09:58 PM »
I always keep my two fingers on the spool.. pivot my wrist and lock my thumb around the butt section and put the wood to them... I would never grab the rod blank unless it was a meat stick !!

I grab the blank to turn em on to a landing area, usually sideways under a tree... Theres no way to control them other wise, not if you want to get back to fishin... I don't do hero drifts and I don't do long battles, not my style.
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

Dark Cloud

« Reply #970 on: Apr 06, 2011, 10:07 PM »
sweat stick DC... 11 ft talon eh?hmm, i think i may have to do a little investigating on that model.

I got a sweet deal on the blank from chromedome. I believe the current blank that matches up to it is the tx4. This is a 7wt and it has @ss but is very slow. A good light line and smaller trout/trib rod. I wouldnt use it on the SR but I definatly havn't used it enough to pin it into a category. Probably use it on some walleyes soon...  ;D
MFF Quote of the Year - \"Im done with this MORON FEST\" ; Esox V

Dark Cloud

« Reply #971 on: Apr 06, 2011, 10:13 PM »
One blank i'd like to check out is the new ones from Mudhole, the MHX series just came out with 5 centerpin/float rod blanks from 10'6" to 14'.
I have used some of the other MHX blanks and am really impressed...
Hey Snag - they make a 11'3" in med-heavy. A guy could really put the wood to em with that...  :flex: ;D
MFF Quote of the Year - \"Im done with this MORON FEST\" ; Esox V

SNAGGER

« Reply #972 on: Apr 06, 2011, 10:25 PM »

Heres me grabbing the blank Saturday, not hard, it was a smaller fish, but I reef on larger ones..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrsTiNDK1U4
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

adam2000

« Reply #973 on: Apr 06, 2011, 10:50 PM »

get them dave, im with ya

adam2000

« Reply #974 on: Apr 06, 2011, 10:50 PM »
 Heres me grabbing the blank Saturday, not hard, it was a smaller fish, but I reef on larger ones..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrsTiNDK1U4

snag grabs 4 ft up with that st croix

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.