FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD Thread  (Read 1084336 times)

timdog

Re: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD BS Thread
« Reply #1020 on: Apr 08, 2011, 09:25 AM »
Any suggestions how to set up my St. Croix Legend Ultra 8wt. 4 piece rod for steelie fishing? There is almost no butt on the stick and it has the screw type reel locks. If not a good idea, be honest. I've been thinking about purchasing a "pin" reel. Just don't wanna jump in before I get some good feedback from you's that have had your hands wet with them for some time now.

how long is the st croix lance? if its under 11 ft, it may not be a practical tool for float fishing a big river like the salmon. thers a lot of good choices out there in factory rods that will serve you well. i say drop the coin now on a quality rod... youll be happy you did. the new st croix avid in the 13 ft is one that comes to mind. the two 12 ft raven matrix rods are a decent stick for the price as well.okuma's float rods are little soft for my taste and i like a more forgiving stick if that tells you anything.a far as a reel, stay away from any thing that has a bushing sytem for bearings. unil you break them in( can take a full season) the start up on them leaves a little to be desired. a good starter combo would be one of the raven reels or the bronze okuma paired with a matrix rod

KingPerch

« Reply #1021 on: Apr 08, 2011, 12:38 PM »
10'-6" noodle rod works well for me with floats!! ;) Not big numbers today like the rest of the RATS have been putting out. But, Landed 1 for 2 today. Fished from 9-12:30, Spent most of my time just learning the float rig, breaking floats and losing rigs in trees!! Starting to look alot like the "slips" down at the river!!!! :w00t: Saw 2 other fish caught while I was there. Jr. and I will make another trip this weekend! Titelines!--KP 8)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

fenwick2010

« Reply #1022 on: Apr 08, 2011, 12:47 PM »
I use my 9'6 for the time being and it works ... Its not the best and I loose SOME fish when they take their 1rst hard run due to not havving enough shock absorbtion as i would like. But its my 2nd season and my next invstmnt will be a cp. I find ways to make things work when money is tight.

esox v

« Reply #1023 on: Apr 08, 2011, 12:49 PM »
Hey Timdog... It was nice to finally meet you !! I enjoyed BSing with you and look forward to hitting the water.
"There is no crueler tyranny than that which is perpetrated
under the shield of law and in the name of justice."
--Charles de Montesquieu (1689-1755)
For tyranny to work some idiots are required…

The most dangerous thing any nation faces..  is a citizenry capable of trusting a liar to lead them....

timdog

« Reply #1024 on: Apr 08, 2011, 01:36 PM »
Hey Timdog... It was nice to finally meet you !! I enjoyed BSing with you and look forward to hitting the water.

same here Esox

BAZOOKAJOE

« Reply #1025 on: Apr 08, 2011, 02:42 PM »
Congrats to you guys with the awesome pics!!   8)   I suck...fished for 4 hr.s yesterday and ended up going 1-1 on a tiny brown.  Started down low and went mid-river for the last couple.  I heard Altmar was a zoo...wanted to stay out of the crowds.  Fished eggs, beads, jigs and pw's.  Played with my shots...lenghtened and shortened leaders/bobbers.  Tailed a nice 10 lbs dropback steelhead for a guy in town.  Took him 15 min.s to land it. 

KingPerch Jr.

• SOCCER: Gotta love it!!
« Reply #1026 on: Apr 08, 2011, 03:05 PM »
GIGGITY GIGGITY!!!!

Nice report Shane!!

Sox will turn it around.....
You got that right!! The sox will beat the Yankees and then they will be on fire for the rest of the season!!!
Red Sox!
Bartel Road Bait and Tackle

esox v

« Reply #1027 on: Apr 08, 2011, 04:13 PM »
Boston 0-6 with the yankees coming to town  ;D ;D
How bout them Yankees !!!
"There is no crueler tyranny than that which is perpetrated
under the shield of law and in the name of justice."
--Charles de Montesquieu (1689-1755)
For tyranny to work some idiots are required…

The most dangerous thing any nation faces..  is a citizenry capable of trusting a liar to lead them....

The Mayor

« Reply #1028 on: Apr 08, 2011, 05:03 PM »

Somebody had to get the hole going again, because I wasn't doing it... Ole deadeyes was on a pretty good roll, wasn't he?  8)
Snagger,    Your box is full. Have some info that you asked me for.  THE  MAYOR   :police: :police:

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #1029 on: Apr 08, 2011, 08:59 PM »
         Well finally made it down to town today to see how the lower end was doing... Well it's doin good, landed 5 for 11 in about 2 hours.... all dropbacks.... no fresh fish , the guys I went with hit a bunch of nice fish as well.....  After fishing down there we came back up top for a couple hours in the evening , a little slower then it's been , but still decent , I hit another 2 for 4 , all on floats.. Ran into deadeyes and nightfisher up river, they got into them good, better than me..  Congratulations on your 3 for 4 day Kowboy, had alot of fun fishing with you again, your really getting the hang of it, not bad for second time ever fishin the Salmon river............... good job man... :thumbup_smilie:

Kowboy's First landed Steelhead!!!

R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

SNAGGER

« Reply #1030 on: Apr 08, 2011, 09:06 PM »
Congrats to you guys with the awesome pics!!   8)   I suck...fished for 4 hr.s yesterday and ended up going 1-1 on a tiny brown.  Started down low and went mid-river for the last couple.  I heard Altmar was a zoo...wanted to stay out of the crowds.  Fished eggs, beads, jigs and pw's.  Played with my shots...lenghtened and shortened leaders/bobbers.  Tailed a nice 10 lbs dropback steelhead for a guy in town.  Took him 15 min.s to land it.  
 Altmar hasn't been a zoo on weekdays lately , more like a ghost town if you wait til 10am and let the boats go through... ;)
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

kowboy

« Reply #1031 on: Apr 08, 2011, 09:20 PM »
It was agood day today caught my first fish then 2nd then third all thanks to snagger and the guys. was alot of fun, i was like akid in acandy store after my first one, could anyone hear me yelling, lol.

kowboy

« Reply #1032 on: Apr 08, 2011, 09:23 PM »
cant say thank u enough snagger. BINGO

SNAGGER

« Reply #1033 on: Apr 08, 2011, 09:50 PM »

Great day Kowboy... big drift boat weekend coming up I heard, so I'll probably wait til late Sunday to fish again....  take a breather and get some work done...see you soon man!!! ;D
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

bass on

« Reply #1034 on: Apr 08, 2011, 11:24 PM »
Nice fish kowboy...snagger is the man, I learn something new everytime I drive up their.  Next weekend can't come fast enough.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.