FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD Thread  (Read 1084132 times)

fenwick2010

Re: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD BS Thread
« Reply #1860 on: May 26, 2011, 10:37 AM »
My Arm would fall Off at the end of that day .... And Fenwick is made " over seas " but what isnt ...I didn't like the earlier models with the thin stainless guides. They would always bend & the SS ring would nick . The New Fenwick HMG and HMX  rods Have Pac bay DPL guides and they are much better . If their is a loop or small tangle coming of the reel , 4 some reason the guides shed it . I get fewer knots wich always is a problem casting a 9 ' plus rod . I've NEVER had a Fenwick break either  . Out of all the rods I've owned The only ones that have lasted 5 years or more are my ... Fenwick  7'6 HMX  Wally rod. Its the " older style  with the SS guides though.  The New HMX 9 ' 6" For steelhead  And my old stand by '   The Shmmano .  St. Croix definatley makes a nice rod , Esp. Fly rods and steelhead Noodle rods . They have Great warranty's If you spend the $$$ On the upper models.   But I ALWWAYS  break the tips on them . Maybe they have Re- Design'd their rods in the past 10 years But I can't take spending 180' on a rod that I need to send back . My Fenwick has a " 5 year " Warranty , thats great for a rod just over $100. 00. Also Ive found that the graphite rod's I've owned that have a matte finish seem to always be alot stronger at a thinner diameter. Have no idea why that is ...

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #1861 on: May 26, 2011, 02:33 PM »
  Just got rocked by winds and a really good hailstorm... pea to dime size.... looks like round 3 is on it's way...

Look at that stray lightning bolt in between the storms..

R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

filetandrelease

« Reply #1862 on: May 26, 2011, 02:59 PM »
no hail and a 5 min shower to wet to mow  >:(

SNAGGER

« Reply #1863 on: May 26, 2011, 03:42 PM »
no hail and a 5 min shower to wet to mow  >:(

Heres the Hail Freddy..

Hail shaft from the second storm.

R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

filetandrelease

« Reply #1864 on: May 26, 2011, 04:19 PM »
ya saw the nasty looking clouds was like 9:00 pm

griz104

« Reply #1865 on: May 26, 2011, 08:20 PM »
 Hey Fenwick in November of 2001 me and my buddy Dave were the ONLY guys fishing South Sandy after a water drop. We had a contest to see who could hook the most Steelhead. We were using noodle rods with a styrafoam clip on bobber and fresh brown trout egg sac's tied in white. At the end of a long hard battle I edged him out 78 hook ups to 76....Is it that good now?   That was when everyone went west...

We also hit one day like that back in late 70's early 80's.. had been watching weather reports all Winter waiting for that Thaw in January...Finally it came and we headed up from Pa. and hooked up with our Old buddy Bruce Walden and one of his sons..We were fishing in DSR before it was a pay area and we hammered fish all day long..First time i had ever got sick of catching them.. There was only myself and my buddy..Bruce and his son and no one else..nor did we see any one all day long.. It was only that one day and it took us three more trips up before we caught another..Of course Bruce just kept catching fish!! I would have put him up against ANYBODY!!!!  And to think he was a bottom Scratcher.. There was a man who would put any Center Pinner to shame...

SNAGGER

« Reply #1866 on: May 26, 2011, 08:40 PM »
We also hit one day like that back in late 70's early 80's.. had been watching weather reports all Winter waiting for that Thaw in January...Finally it came and we headed up from Pa. and hooked up with our Old buddy Bruce Walden and one of his sons..We were fishing in DSR before it was a pay area and we hammered fish all day long..First time i had ever got sick of catching them.. There was only myself and my buddy..Bruce and his son and no one else..nor did we see any one all day long.. It was only that one day and it took us three more trips up before we caught another..Of course Bruce just kept catching fish!! I would have put him up against ANYBODY!!!!  And to think he was a bottom Scratcher.. There was a man who would put any Center Pinner to shame...

You knew Bruce Walden?  He was from my area and knew alot of the people I ran with.. Him and Sylvia were good people. He is hands down the best steelheader I ever met and ever will meet in my lifetime... Pure Talent...Spent some time in the old days fishing the Flats or the Silo hole with his crew.  He was awesome to watch at South....   I used to park at his place and take my buddy Travis who was in a wheelchair down to clarks falls alot...good times!!!  The Best!!! ;D
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

griz104

« Reply #1867 on: May 26, 2011, 08:56 PM »
     You knew Bruce Walden?  He was from my area and knew alot of the people I ran with.. Him and Sylvia were good people. He is hands down the best steelheader I ever met and ever will meet in my lifetime... Pure Talent...Spent some time in the old days fishing the Flats or the Silo hole with his crew.  He was awesome to watch at South....   I used to park at his place and take my buddy Travis who was in a wheelchair down to clarks falls alot...good times!!!  The Best!!! ;D

Snagger i was very privileged to have fished with Bruce and his boys for a few years.. He is the one who actually taught me how to fish for Steelies..If there was a Salmon..Steelhead Hall of Fame Bruce would have been one of the first one's inducted!! A better man has never fished the Salmon River..And i miss the little guy...LOL

wiredstone

« Reply #1868 on: May 27, 2011, 04:51 AM »
 Heres the Hail Freddy..
We are camping in some strange weather down here too. Tornado watchs all over. Hope we don't blow away. ;D
             Hail shaft from the second storm.

wooo fish on. Never mind

lehigh vally

« Reply #1869 on: May 27, 2011, 08:53 AM »
Nice pictures Snagger, we had a few storms of our own last night in the valley so i set up out back with the camera and tried to get some lightning on film for the first time and actually did pretty good, couldn't believe my luck allot of cloud to cloud lightning happening in my back yard for about 20 minuets, long enough for me to get a good setting in the camera to take a good shot. Check um out ;D

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #1870 on: May 27, 2011, 10:57 AM »

KILLER FACKIN SHOTS LEHIGH  :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie: :bowdown:
        man , i hope to be around shane on the ice next year when you come out you could mane even me look good

H.T.

• I AM PROUD TO BE AN *OPPORTUNIST*
« Reply #1871 on: May 27, 2011, 10:58 AM »
wow some cool pictures right there Rob  :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie: :clapping: :clapping:

adam2000

• theres beer down here we cant forget
« Reply #1872 on: May 27, 2011, 10:59 AM »

KILLER FACKIN SHOTS LEHIGH  :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie: :bowdown:
        man , i hope to be around shane on the ice next year when you come out you could mane even me look good

Nothing can make you look good. You phoenix guys break cameras

kowboy

« Reply #1873 on: May 27, 2011, 11:37 AM »
lv great pics as always u missed ur calling

tinsucks

« Reply #1874 on: May 27, 2011, 03:54 PM »
hey shane...remember the conversation we had about atlantics???

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.