FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD Thread  (Read 1084271 times)

fishing mechanic

• Wrenching to Fish
Re: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD BS Thread
« Reply #2040 on: Jul 06, 2011, 10:00 PM »
I had to take two breaks in order to finish that read Snag. :o Good read man.

bcons

« Reply #2041 on: Jul 07, 2011, 07:18 AM »
So did I read the DEC report correctly?  Food supply ok, but struggling, if not teetering on a struggle based on the yr.  Followed by Steelies are all smaller/lighter on average, some yr classes significantly so.  I mean 1.4 lbs lighter on 8lb fish is alot. That's almost a 20% drop. 
Yet changing bag limit on another trout, to increase their numbers is a good thing?   I must be missing something.
I was berated for fishing & asked recently by a PETA type.  You don't keep fish do you?  I responded "No I don't like aquariums. I just treat them like a quick haircut, & take a little of the sides"

ErnyeJSES

« Reply #2042 on: Jul 07, 2011, 07:23 AM »
if I'm not mistaken this is exactly what Snag was predicting at the end of steelie season this year when the debate about lower creel limits was going on.

northwoods

• FRIEND OF ALL FISH !!!LIKED BY NONE!!!
« Reply #2043 on: Jul 07, 2011, 07:37 AM »
wow that was interesting huh???? that is why all those steelies were on the small side this past year!!!!!! see the state does do some great research and should be congradulated on that part but as we all know we don't like some of the things they do !!!!!!! good post snagg!!!!!
HEY, WHERE IS MY FLOAT ???
     GET UM!!! GET UM!!! GET UM!!!

northwoods

• FRIEND OF ALL FISH !!!LIKED BY NONE!!!
« Reply #2044 on: Jul 07, 2011, 07:40 AM »
if I'm not mistaken this is exactly what Snag was predicting at the end of steelie season this year when the debate about lower creel limits was going on.
do you see the double edge sword here they want to reduce the creel limit on browns and they are saying that the baitfish are not abundant as they were but they want to let more fish live to eat mmore bait to be smaller yet !!!!!  DO I MAKE SENSE OR DID I CONFUSE MYSELF?????
HEY, WHERE IS MY FLOAT ???
     GET UM!!! GET UM!!! GET UM!!!

esox v

« Reply #2045 on: Jul 07, 2011, 10:13 AM »
I must be missing something.
Yep... you missed the particular FEELING A certain small group of people with a rather large voice get... knowing they have limited the harvesting of fish !! Scientific data needs to be overlooked when it doesn't coincide with your personal feeling's about the harvesting fish.  
"There is no crueler tyranny than that which is perpetrated
under the shield of law and in the name of justice."
--Charles de Montesquieu (1689-1755)
For tyranny to work some idiots are required…

The most dangerous thing any nation faces..  is a citizenry capable of trusting a liar to lead them....

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #2046 on: Jul 07, 2011, 12:30 PM »
I was wondering if you guys would pick up on that , there was some great graphs going back to 1981, but it wouldn't let me copy them.

Add in a couple suprize successful Atlantic years and natural chinooks  and we could be at the point we were at around 1995-96 when we had too many adult lake trout and a super healthy salmon / trout population. Something had to give so the DEC made the tough decision to reduce chinook salmon stockings lakewide, we could be headed that way again if the DEC is going to be swayed by special interest groups and not the facts. ......Dr Howard Tanner in the late 60's put these fish here to control baitfish, afterwards a tourism based economy quickly formed around them and the DEC has always based there stockings on a certain amount of harvesting, if we are no longer allowed to harvest them because certain tributary anglers put them on a pedistal and must release them because there so pretty and shiny , stocking cuts will probably be needed eventually .... Cookie cutters is one thing , but there is a point where the fish could get diseases like kidney problems from a lack of forage and huge amounts of energy used to find it....The DEC runs a fine wire out there balancing this great fishery.. I hope they are listening....

I read on the DSR webpage that some Australian Winery donated a million dollars towards Lake Ontario's Landlocked Atlantic Salmon Program .. makes you wonder what's really at work here......
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

Jimmy

• "Fish Till Ya' Puke"
« Reply #2047 on: Jul 07, 2011, 08:45 PM »
Great info, Snag!  Thanks!

For the record, I'm not so sure 'everyone' who releases fish puts them on a pedestal... 

Some people fish everyday, yet eat nothing but perch and sunnies (like me).

Is it fair to say that some fish are more valued alive then dead?  There are some fish I'd like the chance to hook and fight again...

But that should, of course, be the choice of each person who buys a fishing license and helps fund the stocking.

Some of us just like having fun and fighting 'em!

For example, would you kill and eat this fish if you caught it in your frontyard?  Would you want it to get bigger to catch it again?

"Once in awhile you get shown the light...  In the strangest of places if you look at it right..."    -J. Garcia

SNAGGER

« Reply #2048 on: Jul 07, 2011, 10:41 PM »
Great info, Snag!  Thanks!

For the record, I'm not so sure 'everyone' who releases fish puts them on a pedestal...  

Some people fish everyday, yet eat nothing but perch and sunnies (like me).

Is it fair to say that some fish are more valued alive then dead?  There are some fish I'd like the chance to hook and fight again...

But that should, of course, be the choice of each person who buys a fishing license and helps fund the stocking.

Some of us just like having fun and fighting 'em!

For example, would you kill and eat this fish if you caught it in your frontyard?  Would you want it to get bigger to catch it again?

Once again Jimmy.. you put things in great perspective. ;)  Thanks.. I need someone to keep me on track..

These times are a changin Jimmy...Man are they changin!!!
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

Jimmy

• "Fish Till Ya' Puke"
« Reply #2049 on: Jul 07, 2011, 10:56 PM »
 Once again Jimmy.. you put things in great perspective. ;)

We're all in this together, Brother :)

It just doesn't seem fair to judge some people on the waders they wear. 

If you're really going to get down and dirty and chase fish all over the country in some really rugged places, you gotta' buck up and pay the piper for gear that will hold up.  (this coming from a guy with no money and a truck with over 250,000mi on it)

I like the way you think, Snagger.  Always have.  But sometimes there is no need to feed the fire.  Life is what you make it.

Make it fun!!!
"Once in awhile you get shown the light...  In the strangest of places if you look at it right..."    -J. Garcia

SNAGGER

« Reply #2050 on: Jul 07, 2011, 11:02 PM »
We're all in this together, Brother :)

It just doesn't seem fair to judge some people on the waders they wear. 

If you're really going to get down and dirty and chase fish all over the country in some really rugged places, you gotta' buck up and pay the piper for gear that will hold up.  (this coming from a guy with no money and a truck with over 250,000mi on it)

I like the way you think, Snagger.  Always have.  But sometimes there is no need to feed the fire.  Life is what you make it.

Make it fun!!!

I let people get the best of me sometimes Jimmy, it's good to have people like yourself around to keep me open minded. Oh I'll never leave Montana brother, and hopefully the DEC keep's this Lake and it's Tribs fair and fun to all...  8)
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

Jimmy

• "Fish Till Ya' Puke"
« Reply #2051 on: Jul 07, 2011, 11:15 PM »
I am haunted by waters, Shane...    ::)

SNAGGER

« Reply #2052 on: Jul 07, 2011, 11:26 PM »
I am haunted by waters, Shane...    ::)

Hey Jimmy speeking of movies...back in junior high school, I hooked this one landlock up at the tailout of fall creek falls so many times one fall that I nick named him "Walter", I finally did land him.. a big blackish purple one with a knarly kype, I let him go after all the torture I put him through that fall..
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

Jimmy

• "Fish Till Ya' Puke"
« Reply #2053 on: Jul 07, 2011, 11:33 PM »
Don't tell the others, but...  "On Golden Pond" is in my Top 5 easily.... 

"Oh, sure. Black bears, grizzlies. One of 'em came along here and ate an old lesbian just last month"

I'm down in Philly for work this week, and sort of in fishing withdrawl until Saturday night.   Hope you're slaying Waldos this summer!

SNAGGER

« Reply #2054 on: Jul 07, 2011, 11:40 PM »

"there aint no respectable trout left in our cove...what are the hell you doin in here walter you old ugly sob" ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_h8C_rCbgU
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.