FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD Thread  (Read 1084104 times)

KingPerch

Re: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD BS Thread
« Reply #2235 on: Aug 04, 2011, 03:44 PM »
You get any of that rain yesterday SNAGGER! We got a really nice steady soaking! Do you think the drought we've had is going to hurt the run of salmon here in a few weeks or so??--KP
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #2236 on: Aug 04, 2011, 03:57 PM »
You get any of that rain yesterday SNAGGER! We got a really nice steady soaking! Do you think the drought we've had is going to hurt the run of salmon here in a few weeks or so??--KP

It rained 2 hours, but never broke the trees...couldn't even measure it... maybe a tenth of an inch....still too early to dooms day anything  but if it don't start raining soon..it won't be the salmon season we were hoping for.....

The water release for this weekend is cancelled, so that's a good thing, in 2007 they ran 100cfs during the salmon run all the way til mid october, it wasn't good to the fishery and business, they might want to start thinking about a cut back now, not later......still too early to tell.. we'll see where we stand in another week....

http://www.9wsyr.com/content/news_team/blogs/weather/story/For-some-its-a-drought-8-4-11/VkZoidmNiEWrhRCUmeFDNw.cspx
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

SNAGGER

« Reply #2237 on: Aug 04, 2011, 07:18 PM »

Hey KP  when I was younger I thought heat and drought and things like that kept salmon from running, but over the decades I noticed that once they are ready, they will run no matter what..  I used to think high water or rainfalls were the biggest factors in a run, they do help, but maturity is also key. Some years your fish mature earlier than others.. Why? I'm not so sure.....  But in my diaries that I've kept since the mid 80's..I've noticed than anytime you have an early spring you tend to have a better chance of large early runs, but if your spring is cold like this years, the salmon tend to come in on time or late ...not early.. this therory hasn't been 100%, but it's been a good indicater for me to plan my fall.....

The last 3 years  we've had a very minor run in late Aug....then a Major run over the Labor day weekewnd, then a 3 week hole til the next run, I bet this year we have more mid Sept. medium runs and no major run on Labor day...we'll see ...this is just my guess right now, I really enjoy trying to predict salmon runs, we all have bets on it every year here at my house... ;D
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

gillkiller13126

• out to get themm
« Reply #2238 on: Aug 05, 2011, 12:09 AM »
       Hey KP  when I was younger I thought heat and drought and things like that kept salmon from running, but over the decades I noticed that once they are ready, they will run no matter what..  I used to think high water or rainfalls were the biggest factors in a run, they do help, but maturity is also key. Some years your fish mature earlier than others.. Why? I'm not so sure.....  But in my diaries that I've kept since the mid 80's..I've noticed than anytime you have an early spring you tend to have a better chance of large early runs, but if your spring is cold like this years, the salmon tend to come in on time or late ...not early.. this therory hasn't been 100%, but it's been a good indicater for me to plan my fall.....

The last 3 years  we've had a very minor run in late Aug....then a Major run over the Labor day weekewnd, then a 3 week hole til the next run, I bet this year we have more mid Sept. medium runs and no major run on Labor day...we'll see ...this is just my guess right now, I really enjoy trying to predict salmon runs, we all have bets on it every year here at my house... ;D

id like to get in on that bet haha
RED SOX FTW
 id rather be crappie fishing

SNAGGER

« Reply #2239 on: Aug 05, 2011, 10:08 AM »

id like to get in on that bet haha

Make your prediction... ;D

Looking at my calenders from 2007 drought year...we had a cool spring and there was a good run of kings with coho's browns and steelhead mixed in on  Sept. 7-9th and again from 17th-20th.. no real labor day run, just a few around..water was 163cfs for labor day weekend dropped to 100cfs after that....

Heres an interesting note for that year  October 5th 89 degrees..river temp still 69 degrees til the 7th of October.. guys still fishing in shorts til the 10th of October..  Hatchery didn't get there eggs, had to go out west to get there quota. Salmon spawn at River temps below 55 degrees, according to my notes river didn't hit 54 degrees til October 30th....amazing year, this year is maybe simillar with a cool spring and dry summer, but I don't think we'll see a Sept.-October like that again...
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

gillkiller13126

• out to get themm
« Reply #2240 on: Aug 05, 2011, 10:44 AM »
   Make your prediction... ;D

Looking at my calenders from 2007 drought year...we had a cool spring and there was a good run of kings with coho's browns and steelhead mixed in on  Sept. 7-9th and again from 17th-20th.. no real labor day run, just a few around..water was 163cfs for labor day weekend dropped to 100cfs after that....

Heres an interesting note for that year  October 5th 89 degrees..river temp still 69 degrees til the 7th of October.. guys still fishing in shorts til the 10th of October..  Hatchery didn't get there eggs, had to go out west to get there quota. Salmon spawn at River temps below 55 degrees, according to my notes river didn't hit 54 degrees til October 30th....amazing year, this year is maybe simillar with a cool spring and dry summer, but I don't think we'll see a Sept.-October like that again...

i was gunna say sept 5-6 is when we will start to see the first salmon. but only thing that suxs is when i fish salmon river i never have anyone to fish with haha. even in oswego its the same way
RED SOX FTW
 id rather be crappie fishing

crappiekiller315

• whackin&stackin I LIKE TO EAT BASS
« Reply #2241 on: Aug 05, 2011, 12:26 PM »
well now since were playing the prediction game  ;D
i'm thinking we will see a small push of fish with a labor day water release similar to last year. then the port will fill up with fish and slowly trickle up and get picked away at by the guys who look like there straight out of a cabelas showroom ::) ::) ::)
i think the 1st big push will be around 15th of september ???
do you think there would be less idiot's if it were not illegal to kill people!!!!!
Mmmmmmmm bass the other white meat!!!!!!

draketrutta

« Reply #2242 on: Aug 05, 2011, 01:24 PM »
get picked away at by the guys who look like there straight out of a cabelas showroom ::) ::) ::)

"those guys" wouldn't be caught dead in a pair of Cabela's waders ;D
<'}}}}>><  *** just say NO to DPviaBAJwithADK-QTIP *** <>>{{{{'>

wiredstone

« Reply #2243 on: Aug 05, 2011, 01:36 PM »
He meant ORVIS ;D
wooo fish on. Never mind

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #2244 on: Aug 05, 2011, 01:47 PM »
i  perdict  there  will  be  a  small  run  of  salmon  in  THE  OSWEGO RIVER   between   augest  23rd  - to  augest  26th
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

KingPerch

« Reply #2245 on: Aug 05, 2011, 03:07 PM »

Has there ever been years where the fish started to run upriver on a low cfs level? and , if they couldn't get very far upriver, it seems they would have to spawn where they end up. Or on a drought season, would the water release happen even though there has been a drought and quite possibly drain the res. They cancelled the release this weekend, would that continue into the salmon run and then release to allow the fish to do their thing?Thanks for the history reports! Good stuff!--KP 8)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

trapper2000

« Reply #2246 on: Aug 05, 2011, 03:31 PM »
KP  i  seen  a  run  of  salmon  in  little  salmon  river    very  low  water   augest  16  and  they  made  it   to  lad  road!  now that  was  a   few   years  ago  ...osewgo   river     usually  gets   better  early   runs   simple   because  theres  more  water   and  deeper  holes

Gamma Fish

« Reply #2247 on: Aug 05, 2011, 03:40 PM »
  A small run of salmon come into the Oswego River in late August ?  Who'd a thunk it  ::) ::) ::)

I predict that the leaves will start changing colors in late September, It will be cold in January, Walleye season will close on March 15th, it will be dark tonight, it will be light tomorrow, Christmas will fall on December 25th and HT will catch a fish without live bait !

Well, OK.....6 out of 7 ain't bad ! ;D ;D
Plastics are Fantastic !

wiredstone

« Reply #2248 on: Aug 05, 2011, 04:57 PM »
SEPT. 3 ;D
wooo fish on. Never mind

trapper2000

« Reply #2249 on: Aug 05, 2011, 05:12 PM »
  A small run of salmon come into the Oswego River in late August ?  Who'd a thunk it  ::) ::) ::)

I predict that the leaves will start changing colors in late September, It will be cold in January, Walleye season will close on March 15th, it will be dark tonight, it will be light tomorrow, Christmas will fall on December 25th and HT will catch a fish without live bait !

Well, OK.....6 out of 7 ain't bad ! ;D ;D

well  you'd  be  wrong  !!!!   in  our  area  the  leaves  start  to  change  in  late  augest  ...and  snagger   you  are   right   salmon   don't  run  because  of   cold   or  water  flow    those  are  factors  which  help  them   stay  alive  for  there  trip  up  stream  ,  salmon  runs  are  trigered   by  there  biolodgal  clocks  same  as  deer  in  the  rutt  by  the  amount  of  day light! as  the  days  shorten  the  clock  starts 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.