FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD Thread  (Read 1084110 times)

adam2000

• theres beer down here we cant forget
Re: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD BS Thread
« Reply #2370 on: Aug 10, 2011, 09:52 AM »
but there is the king at the long bridge last yr that smoked my pink worm under a float in mid nov

Drifter_016

« Reply #2371 on: Aug 10, 2011, 10:22 AM »
he said that he read an in - fisherman article about running salmon skein under a float for kings ??? this has been done for years but now it is an obsolete trick correct, well i bet it still can be done ??? ;D

You bet it can HT. I did it for many years when I lived in Ontario and my buddies are still doing it today.
As soon as the fish start sniffing around the river mouth is the time to start floating skein.
They are waaaaaaaay more fun to catch down there than up river.   ;D

draketrutta

« Reply #2372 on: Aug 10, 2011, 10:52 AM »
My theory being that in there minds they are almost to there spawning grounds where a big deep river they dont have it in there minds yet that they are close." Water temp probally plays a big role in this.

or the fact they've been gettin bombarded with lead and breathing concentrated levels of boat exhaust fumes
<'}}}}>><  *** just say NO to DPviaBAJwithADK-QTIP *** <>>{{{{'>

H.T.

• I AM PROUD TO BE AN *OPPORTUNIST*
« Reply #2373 on: Aug 10, 2011, 11:00 AM »
Ummmm.............uhhhhhh..........no.......that would be a negative!!! p57 Aug./Sept edition 1st paragraph........"When leaves begin falling from the trees, king salmon are already thick in the rivers of the Great Lakes. As they 1st enter rivers, salmon go ballistic for aggressive techniques like pitching crankbaits or spinners. But that phase soon passes....................From the end of the 1st week to the moment spawning activity actually begins, float-fishing is the odds-on method. Most float fisherman...............use.........."skein". But some use soft plastics with great success."

"Folks of ill repute...........where snagging is brain dead easy. These pretenders...........say they don't believe salmon bite. Fact is kings do bite and floats prove it without ripping open any brown or rainbow trout by accident. "

I'm not trying to open a pandora's box here just quoting what I read. I will find out for myself what is true or not so no one needs to convince me whether or not Salmon bite.

I'll definitely have some fun too finding out. Does Forest and Zippy want to meet up when I travel yonder to the transition point??
Your right Bob there is only one real way to find out so go for it. Maybe some pictures of Kings with the Skein burried down there throat might show something. I will see you at the launch  8) 8)

ErnyeJSES

« Reply #2374 on: Aug 10, 2011, 11:09 AM »
been trying to keep the anticipation of the up coming season in check but I was starting to get an itch so i was doing a little lurking over on SC...
apparently someone saw a couple pods of kings in the esturary this morning. Dont know if there is any truth to it or not but it got my blood pumping a little bit none the less. getting excited.

adam2000

• theres beer down here we cant forget
« Reply #2375 on: Aug 10, 2011, 11:16 AM »
been trying to keep the anticipation of the up coming season in check but I was starting to get an itch so i was doing a little lurking over on SC...
apparently someone saw a couple pods of kings in the esturary this morning. Dont know if there is any truth to it or not but it got my blood pumping a little bit none the less. getting excited.

big rain yesterday, hard wind. very very possible.  there ws a decent sized pod off the dunes sunday in 144 fow so could be possible

gillkiller13126

• out to get themm
« Reply #2376 on: Aug 10, 2011, 01:20 PM »
i was wondering if anyone would wanna meet up this season? i would like to make sum new friends and here sum good stories.
RED SOX FTW
 id rather be crappie fishing

jj7leaf

« Reply #2377 on: Aug 10, 2011, 01:42 PM »
Your right Bob there is only one real way to find out so go for it. Maybe some pictures of Kings with the Skein burried down there throat might show something.

here you go...

This is from 4-5 years ago, nothing has changed, not the argument, not the answers, everyone knows they are right...

j

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #2378 on: Aug 10, 2011, 01:49 PM »
YEP  THERE  STOMACHS  FILL  FROM   FEEDING  ON  FRESH  EGGS  IN  THE  RIVER  TILL  THEY  EXPLODED , THIS  IS  WHY  THEY  DIE  ...........  THE  FISH  IS  DIEING!!!!!!!!!  IT  ISN'T  HITTING  !!!!! :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol:   QUOTE  FROM  THE   COWARDLY  LION  ...  OHHHH  I  DO  BELIEVE  I  DO  I  DO  I DO  I  DO  BELIEVE ....... WHY  DOES  EVERYONE  ADMIT  THAT  WERE  EITHER  ACCIDENTLY  OR  ON PURPOSELY  LIFTING  THEM WHEN  THERE  ALONE  BUT  WHEN WE  ARE  HERE  ,MAGIC  HAPPENS  AND  EVER  FISH WE  RIPPED  SUDDENLY  HIT??????  

ONLY  TRUE  WAY  IS  A UNDERWATER  CAM  SET  UP  SHOWING  FISH  HITTING  ....THERE  ISN'T  ONE , YA  KNOW  WHY ...BECAUSE  THEY  DON'T  HIT  HAHA   YOUR  DRIFTING  IT  INTO  THERE  MOUTHS !!!!
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

jj7leaf

« Reply #2379 on: Aug 10, 2011, 01:55 PM »
YEP  THERE  STOMACHS  FILL  FROM   FEEDING  ON  FRESH  EGGS  IN  THE  RIVER  TILL  THEY  EXPLODED , THIS  IS  WHY  THEY  DIE  ...........  THE  FISH  IS  DIEING!!!!!!!!!  IT  ISN'T  HITTING  !!!!! :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol:   QUOTE  FROM  THE   COWARDLY  LION  ...  OHHHH  I  DO  BELIEVE  I  DO  I  DO  I DO  I  DO  BELIEVE ....... WHY  DOES  EVERYONE  ADMIT  THAT  WERE  EITHER  ACCIDENTLY  OR  ON PURPOSELY  LIFTING  THEM WHEN  THERE  ALONE  BUT  WHEN WE  ARE  HERE  ,MAGIC  HAPPENS  AND  EVER  FISH WE  RIPPED  SUDDENLY  HIT??????   
I don't think anyone said every fish YOU RIP actually hit! 

Pretty amazing you get so heated (entire post is CAPS!) when someone shows a picture of something you say doesn't happen.

Just sayin.

jason

OTIS

« Reply #2380 on: Aug 10, 2011, 01:56 PM »
YOUR  DRIFTING  IT  INTO  THERE  MOUTHS !!!!

That's what we did years ago.  Just lifting them got booring, so we would shoot for their mouths to make it look like they "hit" the sponge (or piece of your shirt if you were out of sponge). ;D
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

jj7leaf

« Reply #2381 on: Aug 10, 2011, 02:04 PM »
HAHA   YOUR  DRIFTING  IT  INTO  THERE  MOUTHS !!!!

Your right, we drifted golf ball size gobs of roe under a float, into their mouths while they were trying to breath to survive.....

Our methods should be outlawed just to keep the numbers of gagged and choked salmon down!

j

FISHMAN247

« Reply #2382 on: Aug 10, 2011, 02:19 PM »
i like to use big pike minnows in oswego and salmon river estruary.  i put them on a slip bobber and adjust the depth as the day goes on.  the kings lay on the bottom as the sun comes up so then ill take the float off and just use an egg sinker.  its amazing early morning seeing a mud shark chase my pike minnow on the surface. ill even catch a zara spook early morning for kick a$$ top water action.

FISHMAN247

« Reply #2383 on: Aug 10, 2011, 02:22 PM »
lmfao this debate whether they bite or get snagged is ridiculous.  everyone has been a snagger at one time or another.  and if you say youve never done it I call b.s on you. 

Jimmy

• "Fish Till Ya' Puke"
« Reply #2384 on: Aug 10, 2011, 02:33 PM »
Always a Hot Topic, for sure! 

Some people get heated up about it, others simply don't care...  Count me with the latter, please.

"Once in awhile you get shown the light...  In the strangest of places if you look at it right..."    -J. Garcia

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.