FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD Thread  (Read 1084240 times)

bcons

Re: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD BS Thread
« Reply #2430 on: Aug 11, 2011, 06:21 PM »
wrong sandy creek smart a$$. im talking about the sandy creek by gambell which is by rochester
Really I wasn't being a smartaz, you got me on one I didn't realize  :bowdown: I forgot about & wasn't thinking bout the other one out there.   I was only answering a question, not being smart... (that much) & ya got me.  Congrats there Gomer, it doesn't happen much.   I suppose though considering the occasion being jr's 1st b-day you were due.  Again congrats on a better accomplishmet than anything else you could do, except for the fact he's pre-posioned with being a NY fan  :-* :-*
I was berated for fishing & asked recently by a PETA type.  You don't keep fish do you?  I responded "No I don't like aquariums. I just treat them like a quick haircut, & take a little of the sides"

adam2000

• theres beer down here we cant forget
« Reply #2431 on: Aug 11, 2011, 08:28 PM »
Really I wasn't being a smartaz, you got me on one I didn't realize  :bowdown: I forgot about & wasn't thinking bout the other one out there.   I was only answering a question, not being smart... (that much) & ya got me.  Congrats there Gomer, it doesn't happen much.   I suppose though considering the occasion being jr's 1st b-day you were due.  Again congrats on a better accomplishmet than anything else you could do, except for the fact he's pre-posioned with being a NY fan  :-* :-*

You not trying to be smart. I don't believe it

fishing mechanic

• Wrenching to Fish
« Reply #2432 on: Aug 11, 2011, 10:47 PM »
  Nope, strong winds though...

Heres another reason why our salmon don't hit well..gin clear low water, not nice and green like this picture..

me and my buddies up at the falls..

WOW, them falls have really fired up since I was last there a few weeks ago.

KingPerch Jr.

• SOCCER: Gotta love it!!
« Reply #2433 on: Aug 12, 2011, 05:01 PM »
wrong orange left over egg sack netting works the best
KP and I remeber using that last year!!! ::)
Red Sox!
Bartel Road Bait and Tackle

ErnyeJSES

« Reply #2434 on: Aug 12, 2011, 05:50 PM »
what do you guys think is cheaper...buying sponges or tying egg patterns?

I know sponge is quick and easy just bite off a piece stick it on the hook and bam there you have it...but egg foam is real cheap and it wouldnt take more than a half hour to spin up enough for a day of salmon fishing....a season of salmon fishing might get a bit tedious.

I wonder if sponge sinks faster than an egg pattern though, or vice versa? any thoughts??

who's getting pumped up? For me I know September cant come fast enough. Looking foward to seeing the leaves change, feel a little bite in the air and watch salmon tear up some shallows and rest in the roller right in front of me. I know there are some folks out there that could care less about salmon but man....somedays it's just hard to beat it. I plan on taking out a few rookies to get them into there first freshie and I cannot wait to watch the looks on their faces, it will be epic.

good luck and and tight lines fellas, I can almost smell the kings in the Lake.

adam2000

• theres beer down here we cant forget
« Reply #2435 on: Aug 12, 2011, 07:51 PM »
Just buy I thing of eggsack netting. Rip a little piece off. It stays on the hook and doesn't take up and of the hook gap. I think estaz flies are quicker to tie then glo bugs. But I don't waste my time with any of them til late october

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #2436 on: Aug 12, 2011, 08:25 PM »
          I agree with Adam...pink egg sac netting, been using it since I was a little boy. It's what we had left over after running out of egg sac's while fishing finger lake's bows, the rainbows would still hit it even though there was no eggs in it anymore...So brought it north, great easy bait that stays on the hook...if theres any steelies around they'll bang it while your salmon hunting......

Satelite guestimates for this morning on Lake Ontario....  Took a River temp today. It's settled in at 71 degrees now in Altmar...
  Below normal temps and above normal rainfall forcasted by many meteorologists for the next 2 weeks... interesting..

R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

Simplecarppieguy

• Established in 1969, Fisherman by 1975..
« Reply #2437 on: Aug 12, 2011, 08:37 PM »
Sounds like a late August push.. ::) ::)
16 kings, 100 dropped!! Its not all about how many you get to the bank, its about the fun and friendship!

SNAGGER

« Reply #2438 on: Aug 12, 2011, 08:46 PM »
Sounds like a late August push.. ::) ::)

If you had asked me 2 weeks ago...I would have told you , you were crazy , but now I'm keeping an open mind and will be watching the weather carefully for a strong 2 day southeast wind blow........it could happen.. River temp has dropped from 77 to 71 in 2 weeks....if it gets into the upper 60's, were golden..

Yesterdays temps- low 54 high 71
  Today's temps-      low 55 high 78

R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

Huntny30

• "What ever you are, be a good one." Abe
« Reply #2439 on: Aug 12, 2011, 09:04 PM »
I'm back in business will be out this weekend and upcoming week chasing Kings...we'll see how rusty I am...
\"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person.\" Fred Bear

SNAGGER

« Reply #2440 on: Aug 12, 2011, 09:06 PM »
I'm back in business will be out this weekend and upcoming week chasing Kings...we'll see how rusty I am...

Glad too hear it..  haven't really checked anywhere online , but heard a few rumors today about them showing back up.... ;D
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

NJGOOSEBUSTER1

« Reply #2441 on: Aug 12, 2011, 09:07 PM »
    If you had asked me 2 weeks ago...I would have told you , you were crazy , but now I'm keeping an open mind and will be watching the weather carefully for a strong 2 day southeast wind blow........it could happen.. River temp has dropped from 77 to 71 in 2 weeks....if it gets into the upper 60's, were golden..

Today's temps-      low 55 high 78

I AM PATIENTLY WAITING SNAGGER, WAITING FOR THE CALL TO BATTLE.......................................

GAMBELL

• 24 lb. 11 oz. laker
« Reply #2442 on: Aug 12, 2011, 09:08 PM »
Lake will turn into ice cubes on shore again after Monday.  NE 15 -25.  These past couple nights have been chilly so anything is possible. 

Simplecarppieguy

• Established in 1969, Fisherman by 1975..
« Reply #2443 on: Aug 12, 2011, 09:11 PM »

Today's temps-      low 55 high 78

Remember Snagger in the late 80's 86-88 when they would raise and lower the river. late August was the ticket, two weeks before school started. Also Oswego would get a run of skamaina Steelies and kings. Not to many people here can remember those days. ;D
16 kings, 100 dropped!! Its not all about how many you get to the bank, its about the fun and friendship!

SNAGGER

« Reply #2444 on: Aug 12, 2011, 09:12 PM »
I AM PATIENTLY WAITING SNAGGER, WAITING FOR THE CALL TO BATTLE.......................................

There calling for some sort of early season coastal storm Sunday...all the long ranges are pointing towards a pattern breakdown...this low that just went through finally buckled the jet stream... heat is forcast to be gone for a while... We could be setting ourselves up for a few minor runs in a week or so...We will see, I still say the bulk comes late, but bonus fish are fun this time of year..... ;D
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.