FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD Thread  (Read 1084255 times)

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
Re: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD BS Thread
« Reply #2460 on: Aug 12, 2011, 09:32 PM »
Adam2000 has a good handle on what you need send him a PM..

Does Adam know the kings briefly moved inside of 100' 2 days ago?  I was told the browns were 40 down over 70 one day....
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

SNAGGER

« Reply #2461 on: Aug 12, 2011, 09:34 PM »
The Little Salmon?

Man I used to fish the hell out of that place in the 80's.. up by the dam..at the Nuns"..flatrock falls ... at the turn above the bridge in texas,,.. what a riot...  I got some video footage from 1990.. I used to drive up from Ithaca every wednesday with my uncle Johnny..my day off.. then work third shift and drive straight back up Saturday morning with no sleep, crash hard sat. night at the "Fish On Lodge"..fish all day Sunday and straight back to work again..
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

Huntny30

• "What ever you are, be a good one." Abe
« Reply #2462 on: Aug 12, 2011, 09:37 PM »
That was my home, I grew up right next to Donahues...Texicana...I would get off the Bus and my waders were waiting on the porch...after about 1992 I have probably fished the river 5 or 6 times...back in the day it was everyday from first run till first ice I was down there...Used to sell eggs to flatrock and sell the salmon to the drunk fishermen at the bar...to pay for my habit...great times great childhood
\"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person.\" Fred Bear

SNAGGER

« Reply #2463 on: Aug 12, 2011, 09:41 PM »
That was my home, I grew up right next to Donahues...Texicana...I would get off the Bus and my waders were waiting on the porch...after about 1992 I have probably fished the river 5 or 6 times...back in the day it was everyday from first run till first ice I was down there...Used to sell eggs to flatrock and sell the salmon to the drunk fishermen at the bar...to pay for my habit...great times great childhood

Texicana...Wow!!!  I used to get really hammered in there, then at closing go over to the bridge and fish all night for the ones swimming around in circles by the docks  I forgot about that bar...crazy nights there........man those fish fought hard down there, straight out of the lake.... ;D
I never sold any fish when I was young..... :blink: :blink:
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

Huntny30

« Reply #2464 on: Aug 12, 2011, 09:46 PM »
LOL...that was my side yard as a kid...it used to be hopping...I got to see and hear a lot of stuff out there at night through my window...and then when I was older it made my commute back home pretty easy... ;D  Yeah the fishing in river used to be great...very dissapointing now with the tiny run...Cheeks lives right on the river now and we go down there for fun every once in a while...he watches the fish from his window and calls me when they are splashin!
\"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person.\" Fred Bear

adam2000

• theres beer down here we cant forget
« Reply #2465 on: Aug 12, 2011, 09:46 PM »
[quote

author=SNAGGER link=topic=41117.msg493724#msg493724 date=1313202721]
  Does Adam know the kings briefly moved inside of 100' 2 days ago?  I was told the browns were 40 down over 70 one day....
[/quote]

I heard a rumor about some kings moving in and checking out the mouth offthe river. Probally that pod I was on off the dunes in 144 fow last weekend

SNAGGER

« Reply #2466 on: Aug 12, 2011, 09:50 PM »
I heard a rumor about some kings moving in and checking out the mouth offthe river. Probally that pod I was on off the dunes in 144 fow last weekend

You fishin tomorrow Adam?, I don't think you have to look too far away now...once we get the next east wind event, then back to west ..we should be set right up for the season...
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

adam2000

« Reply #2467 on: Aug 12, 2011, 09:51 PM »
Hunt yes we still use cut bait. Jons has herring strips cut to rys davis specs. Sushi flies are re tricket though. He has them as well. But try are basically a tournament tie with brass wire smelled on the single hook. Then you can run whatever fly you want. Personally I like atommik.  But the big weenie flashabou fly in the color lake o glow is slowly becoming my favorite. Early morning run white paddles with glow. As the sun comes out switch to chrome. Pm me and ill tell you my whole program. Im no expert like gambell or Broadhorizons but I have a decent idea of what im doing

SNAGGER

« Reply #2468 on: Aug 12, 2011, 09:53 PM »
Hunt yes we still use cut bait. Jons has herring strips cut to rys davis specs. Sushi flies are re tricket though. He has them as well. But try are basically a tournament tie with brass wire smelled on the single hook. Then you can run whatever fly you want. Personally I like atommik.  But the big weenie flashabou fly in the color lake o glow is slowly becoming my favorite. Early morning run white paddles with glow. As the sun comes out switch to chrome. Pm me and ill tell you my whole program. Im no expert like gambell or Broadhorizons but I have a decent idea of what im doing

Ya what adam said.. :D
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

adam2000

« Reply #2469 on: Aug 12, 2011, 09:54 PM »
 You fishin tomorrow Adam?, I don't think you have to look too far away now...once we get the next east wind event, then back to west ..we should be set right up for the season...
we are going to fairhaven tommorrow. i need a weekend off from mexico

SNAGGER

« Reply #2470 on: Aug 12, 2011, 09:56 PM »
we are going to fairhaven tommorrow. i need a weekend off from mexico

it's only gonna get worse.... :P
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

Huntny30

« Reply #2471 on: Aug 12, 2011, 09:57 PM »
Great info thanks guys...I'll be out there giving it a shot...not going to buy a bunch of stuff at this point but I am going to land some...the boat I'm using is a little challenging but once I'm out there its great...we will also be out there in my Buddy's BIG boat...probably won't be ready to fish with it till mid to late next week...

adam2000

« Reply #2472 on: Aug 12, 2011, 10:01 PM »
LOL...that was my side yard as a kid...it used to be hopping...I got to see and hear a lot of stuff out there at night through my window...and then when I was older it made my commute back home pretty easy... ;D  Yeah the fishing in river used to be great...very dissapointing now with the tiny run...Cheeks lives right on the river now and we go down there for fun every once in a while...he watches the fish from his window and calls me when they are splashin!

what do you have for equipment?  i run 2 riggers, usually one with a twinke rig behind a spin doc or a familiar bite whole bait behind a big 13 inch salmon slasher, on my other rigger ill run a spoon with a fixed cheater early in the morning , then 2 wire divers with flasher /fly combo, then 2 coppers one with a flaher /fly and the other with a spoon or a meat rig. go dow and talk to jon at the little salmon or go to allseasons they both will set you i the right direction. im a fan of spindoctors some guys like the echips.

Huntny30

« Reply #2473 on: Aug 12, 2011, 10:07 PM »
I run two riggers...the names of the different dodgers and slashers are greek to me these days but I have a bunch of different ones...I will probably run Green glow with green fly off one tomorrow and then I will run a silver or brass with purple/pink fly...and probably at least one cheater off port the  rigger...also will probably run one dipsy...I haven't fished like this since the early 90's so all the new terminology is greek...I'll look to get some cut bait I have the old rigs for that as well...caught a nice Brown the other day on a frog loco spoon it was choppy out there so I stayed about 65-45 FOW...

adam2000

« Reply #2474 on: Aug 12, 2011, 10:13 PM »
I run two riggers...the names of the different dodgers and slashers are greek to me these days but I have a bunch of different ones...I will probably run Green glow with green fly off one tomorrow and then I will run a silver or brass with purple/pink fly...and probably at least one cheater off port the  rigger...also will probably run one dipsy...I haven't fished like this since the early 90's so all the new terminology is greek...I'll look to get some cut bait I have the old rigs for that as well...caught a nice Brown the other day on a frog loco spoon it was choppy out there so I stayed about 65-45 FOW...

im not a fan of the old dodgers by LJ, i think they are to speed sensative.  flies are a must if you are using those old rubber squids ditch them, the flies from tom have so much more action to them. as far as your diver best thing you do is put wire on it. wire divers are the biggest producing rig out there. sometimes it gets out fished but at the end of the end its the top for sure. make a account on lakeontariounited.com   there is tons of info on there and most guys are very helpful. as far as the big lake is concerned its alot more helpful then this site. also check out fishdoctors website. tons of info on there and he has videos of all the snell fly rigs and stuff

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.