FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD Thread  (Read 1084276 times)

draketrutta

Re: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD BS Thread
« Reply #2565 on: Aug 15, 2011, 09:45 AM »
 I haven't read the SC nonsense yet..what is there salmon at my house? ;D

if there are, don't fish for them, you will rile up the PETAphiles,,,,,again.... ;D
<'}}}}>><  *** just say NO to DPviaBAJwithADK-QTIP *** <>>{{{{'>

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #2566 on: Aug 15, 2011, 09:49 AM »
if there are, don't fish for them, you will rile up the PETAphiles,,,,,again.... ;D

There was an ungodly amount of people driving around yesterday, must of seen 50 cars park near the bridge and get out and look around...A little too early for salmon fever..I'll wait til a good run comes in in a week or so Drake...

Just checked the stream gauges like trout brook and fish creek on tug hill, they didn't move much... I think Altmar received more rain than Tug hill.....that sucks.. now I got to fight my lawn and the Res. got cheated. I can't win...
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

adam2000

• theres beer down here we cant forget
« Reply #2567 on: Aug 15, 2011, 10:00 AM »
Hopefully you'll time one of the mid Sept. coho runs..they are silly...

my rule of thumb adam is 2-3 miles a day for kings, unless the water is cold like in october or very high like last year ... 185cfs and 72 degree water it would take some time to get up river..  I haven't read the SC nonsense yet..what is there salmon at my house? ;D

Yeah I figure they jump to every big hole. Estuary to rope swing hole then to the black then town pool trooper sportsman and so on. But can believe it possible for a fish to make it to the trestle in 185 cfs andwater temp of 70. I dont

SNAGGER

« Reply #2568 on: Aug 15, 2011, 10:04 AM »
Yeah I figure they jump to every big hole. Estuary to rope swing hole then to the black then town pool trooper sportsman and so on. But can believe it possible for a fish to make it to the trestle in 185 cfs andwater temp of 70. I dont
  Well yes if it was Sept. 5th, but now is a stretch, but one could have made it... I just read the SC thread. one dead salmon and an old dead skam aint a run...on August 22nd 1998 the run of the century came in with 70 plus degree water..it took 3 days for the leader fish to get to the trestle...
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

bcons

« Reply #2569 on: Aug 15, 2011, 10:08 AM »

I'd say you're 100% correct.  The guy that posted on SC is NUTZ, prob pic from last yr.  Even DSR delayed opening another week saying the water is too low & too warm.  
I was berated for fishing & asked recently by a PETA type.  You don't keep fish do you?  I responded "No I don't like aquariums. I just treat them like a quick haircut, & take a little of the sides"

SNAGGER

« Reply #2570 on: Aug 15, 2011, 10:14 AM »
I'd say you're 100% correct.  The guy that posted on SC is NUTZ, prob pic from last yr.  Even DSR delayed opening another week saying the water is too low & too warm.  

what picture?  I didn't see any pic's....Salmon are trapped if they make the move during a thermocline breakdown from east winds..If theres upwelling and they move from say 100 feet to the port, then the west winds return and all the cold water retreats, they have to do something...either move up or move out...water is the same temp no matter what way they go...but it's too early for anything with any meaning to happen...after the 20th..all bets are off...
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

bcons

« Reply #2571 on: Aug 15, 2011, 10:47 AM »
Sorry you're right there was no pic, I was mistaken.  That site just gets me.  I know some early birds can show up, some in & outs to the mouth etc.  Just anything I read from there normally irrates me to no end.  The only other report they have is "Several pods in the port" on 8/10.  The author also wrote the lake had flipped on the 10th and the cold water was in at 15fow. ??? ???  GUess all the boats just missed that.
I was berated for fishing & asked recently by a PETA type.  You don't keep fish do you?  I responded "No I don't like aquariums. I just treat them like a quick haircut, & take a little of the sides"

draketrutta

« Reply #2572 on: Aug 15, 2011, 11:03 AM »
Just anything I read from there normally irrates me to no end. 

It is pure Comedy Gold when someone dares post a pic of a creeled Steelhead and mob-rule accuses him of violating the Federal Endangered Steelhead Act.. ;D

adam2000

• theres beer down here we cant forget
« Reply #2573 on: Aug 15, 2011, 11:12 AM »
Sorry you're right there was no pic, I was mistaken.  That site just gets me.  I know some early birds can show up, some in & outs to the mouth etc.  Just anything I read from there normally irrates me to no end.  The only other report they have is "Several pods in the port" on 8/10.  The author also wrote the lake had flipped on the 10th and the cold water was in at 15fow. ??? ???  GUess all the boats just missed that.
the lake flipped huh, thats funny saturday we were in 270fow and the water temp was 67 degrees down 75 ft. im guessing he is just going off reports from coldsteel saying he was getting browns in 15fow last tuesday. bottom line when people i know say there fish in the river than there is fish in the river. i know this , last year i caught my biggest king ever in the last week of august, fish was 44 inches. hooked in the lower black and put up a mind ripping 10 sec run then let the current do the rest . i landed that fish in under 5 minutes and the river was much higher and colder.point being that fish would of taken me way into dsr terrority if it was mid sept .no way could a king run all the way to the trestle in a day at 185 and 72 degree water temp

dimebrite

« Reply #2574 on: Aug 15, 2011, 11:24 AM »
Hey guys im new here. I've been looking for a while and have decided to chime in...
hey snagger if you saw a little boy just below the Altmar bridge that was my little guy and yes there were a ton of cars around looking. I saw a few kings in the hatchery myself yesterday along with some trout and or atlantics....I managed to slam a few smalliiez below the trestle in the late morning.

What really enticed me to chime in was the mention of august 98... ifollowed them from midle dsr to ball park that year when they came that weekend. They took their time from black mole to ball park to say the least. But by far it was the biggest run I ever saw; especially the first day they came in hard while fishing the joss hole area...

Sorry for the Lng post from a newbie; but snagger; I ran in to you back in 99 in mid august over at the Altmar hotel... you were there with a friend and we player liars poker with tammy til she closed on us. You let me stay over at the place that night and it was much appreciated. I slapped a chrome fresh king on your picnic table the next morning... do you remeber???

We'll again sorry for the novel...tight lines guys

Andrew

SNAGGER

« Reply #2575 on: Aug 15, 2011, 12:23 PM »

Good story, they did move slow in 98, we tracked them from lower black to the papermill, after 3 days of a hook up on almost every cast we got bored...  hmmmm..August of 99? If I closed the Hotel...what kind of shape was I in? I bet if you stopped by I might remember.... 

R.I.P Uncle Johnny

draketrutta

« Reply #2576 on: Aug 15, 2011, 12:28 PM »
      If I closed the Hotel...what kind of shape was I in?

I'll try Country Song Titles for $1,000 Alex... ;D

SNAGGER

« Reply #2577 on: Aug 15, 2011, 12:33 PM »
I'll try Country Song Titles for $1,000 Alex... ;D

You crack me up Drake!!!! ;D
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

bigbrookie

« Reply #2578 on: Aug 15, 2011, 12:45 PM »
  Well yes if it was Sept. 5th, but now is a stretch, but one could have made it... I just read the SC thread. one dead salmon and an old dead skam aint a run...on August 22nd 1998 the run of the century came in with 70 plus degree water..it took 3 days for the leader fish to get to the trestle...
i remember that run well! i had just had my shoulder rebuilt (was still in pt) and the fish were winning after the second day of 50-60+ fish! 
i can also remember other years with some later runs in cold high water were the fish scooted up the river in a day or so. i remember reading an acticle before about the spawning runs in some of the rivers in alaska and they were saying that on some runs, kings will average over 30 miles a day if conditions are right. just a thought.

SNAGGER

« Reply #2579 on: Aug 15, 2011, 01:01 PM »
i remember that run well! i had just had my shoulder rebuilt (was still in pt) and the fish were winning after the second day of 50-60+ fish! 
i can also remember other years with some later runs in cold high water were the fish scooted up the river in a day or so. i remember reading an acticle before about the spawning runs in some of the rivers in alaska and they were saying that on some runs, kings will average over 30 miles a day if conditions are right. just a thought.

The King run 2 years ago on Labor day weekend, they made it from the lower black too the papermill in one day and were at the Trestle pool Monday morning.. River was 750cfs though so about 10 miles in 2 days..now Coho's can do the River in one day. they are rockets if the mood is right.. Just checked the hatchery, bad light, seen about 15 big browns,  1 fish could have been a king, but not sure...
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.