FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD Thread  (Read 1084215 times)

draketrutta

Re: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD BS Thread
« Reply #2880 on: Aug 19, 2011, 10:06 AM »
wow do nail guns really work on salmon 

if you hold the guard back, they work on birdnests from a rooftop vantage point.... ;D
<'}}}}>><  *** just say NO to DPviaBAJwithADK-QTIP *** <>>{{{{'>

bcons

« Reply #2881 on: Aug 19, 2011, 10:08 AM »
That poor guy about a week later he finially caught on.  However he caught on too much.  It cost him a 12 pack of beer for each guy.  The guys were plumb & lining the 2nd story walls I was about to begin cutting the roof.  When I do Hip & valley jacks I use both a right & left handed circ saw.  It's quicker & don't have to flip the rafter or move to the otherside of the cut station.  I told him to get me the left handed saw.  He got TICKED off thought we were screwing with him again.  Started hollering, then said "BS! There aint no left handed saw, I calmly told him yes there was & go get it." He said "I'll bet every single one of you a 12pk you can't get a left handed saw outa there"  Needless to say those Budlights were tasty!!!  Poor guy we did give him a beer though......
I was berated for fishing & asked recently by a PETA type.  You don't keep fish do you?  I responded "No I don't like aquariums. I just treat them like a quick haircut, & take a little of the sides"

bcons

« Reply #2882 on: Aug 19, 2011, 10:10 AM »
if you hold the guard back, they work on birdnests from a rooftop vantage point.... ;D

Ya don't even have to hold it back, take a 2 3/8  .113  sheeting nail, hold the guard back & wedge the tip of the nail in it. No more safety.
Not that I've ever done that  :whistling: :whistling:
I was berated for fishing & asked recently by a PETA type.  You don't keep fish do you?  I responded "No I don't like aquariums. I just treat them like a quick haircut, & take a little of the sides"

draketrutta

« Reply #2883 on: Aug 19, 2011, 10:14 AM »
Ya don't even have to hold it back, take a 2 3/8  .113  sheeting nail, hold the guard back & wedge the tip of the nail in it. No more safety.
Not that I've ever done that  :whistling: :whistling:

I liked to hold the gun Al Pacino Scarface Style as I screamed to the birdies "Say Hello to my Little Friend"...  ;D
<'}}}}>><  *** just say NO to DPviaBAJwithADK-QTIP *** <>>{{{{'>

adam2000

• theres beer down here we cant forget
« Reply #2884 on: Aug 19, 2011, 10:30 AM »
Board stretcher that brings back some luaghs. Bcons yeah I didn't think a cordless roof gun what ever be able to keep up.  Had a new guy once told him to move 2x6 studs.  2 hrs later he still hadn't moved the pile from in front of the house to back. Watched for a minute he was carrying 1 at a time. He didn't last very long. Never showed up the next day after I told him 6 minimum

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #2885 on: Aug 19, 2011, 10:40 AM »

Hey Adam heres a few pic's to get you pumped up for the LOC...

2 days ago  Mark got 7 salmon this morning..

a steelhead...

He said last night was insane .. 9 good salmon in 2 hours..fished with friends just this pic..

R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

adam2000

« Reply #2886 on: Aug 19, 2011, 10:46 AM »
Is that pack of fimilar bite cut bait a decoy ;D ;D. Everyone is telling me the erie dearie holds up much better. Tommorrow ill be out there looking for a big one

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #2887 on: Aug 19, 2011, 10:50 AM »
Is that pack of fimilar bite cut bait a decoy ;D ;D. Everyone is telling me the erie dearie holds up much better. Tommorrow ill be out there looking for a big one

I have no idea..he just sent me some pic's..thought i would post them... i haven't got a phone call today..he must be on them again... You know i don't do the lake.. i just keep an eye on what depth there at to time a river run.....
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

adam2000

« Reply #2888 on: Aug 19, 2011, 10:53 AM »
  I have no idea..he just sent me some pic's..thought i would post them... i haven't got a phone call today..he must be on them again... You know i don't do the lake.. i just keep an eye on what depth there at to time a river run.....
heard some fish are very shallow.  Maybe a oswego run first :o

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #2889 on: Aug 19, 2011, 11:23 AM »
heard some fish are very shallow.  Maybe a oswego run first :o

ADAM  I'M  GOING  BACK  TONIGHT  I  SEEN  3  FISH  JUMP  LAST  NIGHT   BY  THE  TRAIN  TRUSSEL  HOLE
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

griz104

« Reply #2890 on: Aug 19, 2011, 11:27 AM »
I just got back from the marina at Oak Orchard and was talking with a couple guys who just came in.. Told me they are moving back out and deeper.. they were fishing 400' of water and 135-140 down..But like Snagger said last night was insane and today they are getting a lot of fish also...

griz104

« Reply #2891 on: Aug 19, 2011, 11:42 AM »
Griz - hard to tell from the pics - but make sure they got ample lip around the edges to secure your feet (avoid twisting out of them).

Unlike Snagger - I like the ghey models with the straps   ;D
My first pair had the laces, and I lost one mid river - must have caught the lace on a snag...
The strap models are fugly, but I have found them to be bulletproof.

One thing I notice in your link is that you can see the tops of the studs on the sole almost looks like the are pop-riveted or something like that.
I have the K5000's and the studs are not visible from top view - probably because the sole is thicker (and heavier).

I have a brand new pair in the box that I bought years ago (was afraid they would discontinue them).
I still waiting for my 12 year old pair to wear out - they may outlast me.

Good luck on the river.

Yes.. they are the ones i want..i have used that kind for well over 30 years and haven't had any trouble with them.. Never lost one but do know those who have.. first pair i had cost me 14.99..Honest to God!! They lasted over 15 years.. and last pair i had lasted 12.. The studs are what they call push thru's.. that is why they look like they are rivets..When you first get them it is not uncommon to loose some of the studs.. so you take Duct tape and put over them till they wear down a bit.. once they do very seldom will you loose another one..

roonster227

« Reply #2892 on: Aug 19, 2011, 11:44 AM »
What size and brand of hook is the best for salmon?

GAMBELL

• 24 lb. 11 oz. laker
« Reply #2893 on: Aug 19, 2011, 11:44 AM »
 I was out last night off of Sandy Creek (Hamiln)  Fish are still offshore here too.  200 - 550.  Another week or 2 and the fish will find thier way back towards shore.  Last year the staging started the last week of August.  

griz104

« Reply #2894 on: Aug 19, 2011, 12:00 PM »
What size and brand of hook is the best for salmon?

I don't know what every one else uses but for myself i like a Mustad 7970 in either a 4 or 6.. They are 5x strong and have never had a Salmon straighten or break one.. for Steelhead i use mostly flies and a then use them in size 6 and 8 along with the Mustad 36890's.. but those are my preferences...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.