FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD Thread  (Read 1084273 times)

esox v

Re: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD BS Thread
« Reply #3150 on: Aug 25, 2011, 11:17 AM »

Jimmy I asked the guy if there was a $70-80 reel i could beat on salmon with, he claimed they had one..being most things are made over seas..it's a crap shoot.. i personally own some high end stuff, was just trying to find a reasonably priced reel for guys just getting into the sport. I really like Cortland products alot. best noodle rod going...

what's a tangent Adam?  The only advice I got for anyone new or older..buy your rod at a store so you can feel it..balance is everything with float rods......i'm a pretty strong guy, but if it's not balanced it will cripple your carple nerves in your wrist.really

Check Ernies link ....next rod after the G loomis... They use a high frame guide for the tip top.. similar to the Tim Damon custom Rod i'm using... it's nice because the line doesn't angle going from the high frame guide to a standard tip... The ring size high frame tips are tiny... so it also allows you to have a larger ring size on the tip. It has a metal reel seat which could bea problem in January

http://www.centerpinangling.com/float-rods.html
"There is no crueler tyranny than that which is perpetrated
under the shield of law and in the name of justice."
--Charles de Montesquieu (1689-1755)
For tyranny to work some idiots are required…

The most dangerous thing any nation faces..  is a citizenry capable of trusting a liar to lead them....

draketrutta

« Reply #3151 on: Aug 25, 2011, 11:19 AM »
The Tangent Custom float Rod 354 is designed in Canada, and its a new release for 2010. Upon assembly, this rod offers a lightweight feel, and seems to be well crafted using quality components with adequate guide spacing for its length. Its mid range and bottom-end power seems intact & complemented by its soft yet crisp-controllable tip, which should be beneficial for accurate casts and light leaders. The makers are indicating the tangent's design and specifications are inspired by the Sage 13'6" float rod, and at 1/3rd lower in cost, it rings in at a bargain price and a sure winner riverside.

Adam - I always get a kick out of the modern marketing literature associated with fishing equipment.

Reminds me of the J Peterman catalogue on the Seinfeld show. ;D

No matter what you decide to purchase, make sure it is properly balanced with your reel.
Snagger's comment about sore wrists was spot-on.

<'}}}}>><  *** just say NO to DPviaBAJwithADK-QTIP *** <>>{{{{'>

adam2000

• theres beer down here we cant forget
« Reply #3152 on: Aug 25, 2011, 11:22 AM »
Anything will feel better than the aventa. That thing is as heavy as a dipsey rod

Dark Cloud

« Reply #3153 on: Aug 25, 2011, 11:47 AM »
 I would be curious about the pfluger..they made the best fly rod as far as strength for years til they stopped making them last year..i got like 5 of them i been running for salmon since the 90's.. I've had very good luck with my Im6 Raven 13 6.........
I'll be picking up some cortland fly reels tomorrow for salmon..the guy there says they will take the abuse..we will see...

Hey Snag - If those reels dont make a passing grade, check out a Pflueger Trion. They can be found for under $100. We have three that have survived 5-6 salmon seasons. I "had" one reel costing 3xs as much that didnt last 3 hours one big hook-up # morning...

As for the hand on the blank - I have seen you do it, and Tank will but it is a carefull opperation. Most rod breaks that I have seen up there are from that or the blank getting dinged by splitshot then blowing up later...
MFF Quote of the Year - \"Im done with this MORON FEST\" ; Esox V

adam2000

« Reply #3154 on: Aug 25, 2011, 11:49 AM »
Hey Snag - If those reels dont make a passing grade, check out a Pflueger Trion. They can be found for under $100. We have three that have survived 5-6 salmon seasons. I "had" one reel costing 3xs as much that didnt last 3 hours one big hook-up # morning...

As for the hand on the blank - I have seen you do it, and Tank will but it is a carefull opperation. Most rod breaks that I have seen up there are from that or the blank getting dinged by splitshot then blowing up later...

X1000 I have one and love it

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #3155 on: Aug 25, 2011, 11:58 AM »

I grab the blank on every fish .... even walleye and bass, but you can't own these new light weight chauky blanks  (I don't have to tell you}...they just don't cut it.. I only own rods you can throw in the back of your truck hundreds of times..

The new Hurricane data is really ominous...  glad the res. is 8 feet low... atleast is was.. i'll have to run up there..  foot of rain in eastern new york is posible..
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

H.T.

• I AM PROUD TO BE AN *OPPORTUNIST*
« Reply #3156 on: Aug 25, 2011, 11:59 AM »
X1000 I have one and love it
just bought one myself. almost time to put it to the test  8) 8)

mcully

« Reply #3157 on: Aug 25, 2011, 12:16 PM »
A guy on syracuse craigs list has a pile of used lead split shot he's selling in Pulaski. Asking $25. Looks like he's been panning for gold.

draketrutta

« Reply #3158 on: Aug 25, 2011, 12:41 PM »
A guy on syracuse craigs list has a pile of used lead split shot he's selling in Pulaski. Asking $25. Looks like he's been panning for gold.

yet another illegal act on Craigslist - at least he's not selling skin... ;D

adam2000

« Reply #3159 on: Aug 25, 2011, 01:07 PM »
    I grab the blank on every fish .... even walleye and bass, but you can't own these new light weight chauky blanks  (I don't have to tell you}...they just don't cut it.. I only own rods you can throw in the back of your truck hundreds of times..

The new Hurricane data is really ominous...  glad the res. is 8 feet low... atleast is was.. i'll have to run up there..  foot of rain in eastern new york is posible..
Snag do you think this storm will make a short lake and river season?

adam2000

« Reply #3160 on: Aug 25, 2011, 01:13 PM »
just bought one myself. almost time to put it to the test  8) 8)

you know it will pass

Fetzer1

« Reply #3161 on: Aug 25, 2011, 04:08 PM »
What do you guys think about the fenwick rods? They make a 9'6" noodle rod I like but I found out that they are made in China so now I'm looking at a 13' st croix avid float rod. American made. I'm 6'3" and have big hands so the larger cork is not a big deal, I'm just wondering if it is too whimpy. Does anyone run a 15 footer?  I borrowed my buds Okuma Sheffield combo last fall. First time out with it I was casting it fine, but I just wasn't getting a good hookset into the fish and dropped a few. Thanks for any help!

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #3162 on: Aug 25, 2011, 06:05 PM »
What do you guys think about the fenwick rods? They make a 9'6" noodle rod I like but I found out that they are made in China so now I'm looking at a 13' st croix avid float rod. American made. I'm 6'3" and have big hands so the larger cork is not a big deal, I'm just wondering if it is too whimpy. Does anyone run a 15 footer?  I borrowed my buds Okuma Sheffield combo last fall. First time out with it I was casting it fine, but I just wasn't getting a good hookset into the fish and dropped a few. Thanks for any help!

I got a guest who went all in and bought a 15 foot avid, I used it and it's alot of rod brother....too much for me... .. I own an avid for walleye fishin ...I love it, so it's a good blank.. I personally own the St Croix 13 wild river and think it's a great rod for running floats... great backbone too for whoopin on them...my 2 cents..
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

dimebrite

« Reply #3163 on: Aug 25, 2011, 06:11 PM »
Hey fetzer; with the longer/softer rods; as your getting a bite: lower your rod tip while reeling in the slack and then whack that rod back so hard that you cross his eyes ;) try it...and don't be affraid to over exagerate it...

draketrutta

« Reply #3164 on: Aug 25, 2011, 06:14 PM »
FEtz - for what it's worth - I own 2 float rods - both St Croix - a 10'6" and a 13'er.

IMHO - the longer rod is a PIA for me to use. The tip is whippy, (sometimes the line gets tangled around the tip), more guides to freeze, much harder to land a fish in close quarters, much easier to break the darn thing if you decide to walk a trail without breaking it down, and I really don't need to hero drift the extra few yards downriver.

It has not seen the light of day in many moons.

I would venture to guess that the 15'er is a bigger PIA.

I would suggest the shorter version.

that's my 2 cents worth.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.