FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD Thread  (Read 1084177 times)

dmntd169

Re: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD BS Thread
« Reply #3165 on: Aug 25, 2011, 06:20 PM »
FEtz - for what it's worth - I own 2 float rods - both St Croix - a 10'6" and a 13'er.

IMHO - the longer rod is a PIA for me to use. The tip is whippy, (sometimes the line gets tangled around the tip), more guides to freeze, much harder to land a fish in close quarters, much easier to break the darn thing if you decide to walk a trail without breaking it down, and I really don't need to hero drift the extra few yards downriver.

It has not seen the light of day in many moons.

I would venture to guess that the 15'er is a bigger PIA.

I would suggest the shorter version.

that's my 2 cents worth.

I agree...unless I have a river entirely to myself (and theres little overhang of trees on the shoreline) i won't break out a 13', never mind a 15' rod. I've fished them both as well as many 9'6 and 10'6 and I'll take the shorter noodles every day of the week

The only exception is when I'm on the surf and casting past the 2nd breaker 100 yards out means the difference between getting bit and sitting there all day, then the longer rods come out but if I bring my bunker chucking rods that I use for surf fishing for sharks up to salmon countrym I'm sure it won't go over well with all the eletists who now own the tribs  :whistling: :whistling:
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
       ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><(((((((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #3166 on: Aug 25, 2011, 06:29 PM »

10 6 is my all time favorite spinning rod length for steelhead...9 for rippin salmon with a fly rod..
   I also picked up a 11 6 cortland float rod to try in areas there's alot of trees, but haven't used it yet...
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

fishgalore

« Reply #3167 on: Aug 25, 2011, 06:47 PM »
The Tangent Custom float Rod 354 is designed in Canada, and its a new release for 2010. Upon assembly, this rod offers a lightweight feel, and seems to be well crafted using quality components with adequate guide spacing for its length. Its mid range and bottom-end power seems intact & complemented by its soft yet crisp-controllable tip, which should be beneficial for accurate casts and light leaders. The makers are indicating the tangent's design and specifications are inspired by the Sage 13'6" float rod, and at 1/3rd lower in cost, it rings in at a bargain price and a sure winner riverside.

Why go with the Tangent at $319.99 with a 5 yr warranty and not an Avid with a lifetime warranty? Just curious. Also there is an Avid 11' AVS110LM2 with the same handle as the float rods for $240 and lifetime warranty. Perhaps that would have been a better buy for me too as the 13' is rather long but I think manageable when you learn a good way to approach setting the hook. Dimebrite's suggestion is one I will try for sure.

One other consideration with the longer rods is protecting the line. Bigger fish (25lbs +) with 8 or 10 lb line may still be more manageable with greater landing percentage. You likely won't get the fish in in 2-3 mins. though in either case.  You'll need the Tidemaster for that!!

Here's the Tangent warranty:-

TANGENT FLOAT ROD WARRANTY:
Limited warranty applies only to the original purchaser that its products will be free from defects in material and workmanship for a period of one (5) year from the date of purchase. This warranty does not cover normal expected wear, missing parts, damage, loss or malfunctions due to abuse, misuse, or accidents and malfunctions caused by inadequate repair or alterations not performed by the manufacturer or an authorized service center. Service charge apply to replace sections; $30.00 tip section, $40 mid section, $50 butt section. Broken pieces must be returned. Service fees are double for non warranty replacement.

dimebrite

« Reply #3168 on: Aug 25, 2011, 07:22 PM »
Hey fishgalore it works well for me;  especially when using sacks... I sometimes let them swim away with the bobber a little bit (while dropping the rod tip) before whacking 'em... a premature set or even tension in the line before the set will make them spit quick... a bead usually requires a quicker set though... can't waste too much time but I still whack 'em hard...

I'll leave my two-handed fly rod tactics for another time ;)

Btw; thanks for the acknowledgement...

SNAGGER

« Reply #3169 on: Aug 25, 2011, 07:31 PM »

The day wouldn't be complete without a sunset pic..heres one from tonight...happy hunting... ;D

R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

adam2000

• theres beer down here we cant forget
« Reply #3170 on: Aug 25, 2011, 07:38 PM »
I don't plan on a fish over 10 lbs with the cp. Let alone 25. I just like the fact its based on a sage.  Will I spent 300 on a rod now no. I have a boat. Lake salmon fishing is really putting a hurting on my pocket. I got into the cp thing last year fairly heavy cause it was new to me. As soon as oneida froze I didn't use it again. That will be the same thing this yr. Ice fishing and bow hunting trump everything to me. My new addiction is lake fishing. Its not new to me but now its my boat and me finding the fish instead of just reeling them in. Nothing like hearing that wire rod screaming. Zinnnnnng

adam2000

• theres beer down here we cant forget
« Reply #3171 on: Aug 25, 2011, 07:40 PM »
So snag you think this storm will make for a short lake and river season?  Meaning the motherload comes in all at once

draketrutta

« Reply #3172 on: Aug 25, 2011, 08:18 PM »
Great pic Snagger..

I thought I had a window of opportuniy to cut the grass - it dried out after this mornings heavy thunderstorms.

Went out to the shed and it started downpouring without warning..

Really damp,muggy, foggy & soggy here in NEPA.
<'}}}}>><  *** just say NO to DPviaBAJwithADK-QTIP *** <>>{{{{'>

SNAGGER

« Reply #3173 on: Aug 25, 2011, 08:39 PM »
So snag you think this storm will make for a short lake and river season?  Meaning the motherload comes in all at once

no ....there being stubborn so far.. i figured as much after a cold spring, but if that storm hit's hard, there should be a good push..which then leads to a big hole in the run til the next batch is ready some years...That's when the lake guys pound them..back in 98 there was a major run once a week, now that hurt the later season and the lake guys.. no one really targets salmon much after columbus anymore any way with this great steelhead cycle we are going through, so the late season isn't as important as it once was..you'll be able to down rigg into late september if you still want to......I've always based my season on about 4 main runs.. one early ... one middle and 2 october runs...
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

fishgalore

« Reply #3174 on: Aug 25, 2011, 09:06 PM »
I don't plan on a fish over 10 lbs with the cp. Let alone 25. I just like the fact its based on a sage.  Will I spent 300 on a rod now no. I have a boat. Lake salmon fishing is really putting a hurting on my pocket. I got into the cp thing last year fairly heavy cause it was new to me. As soon as oneida froze I didn't use it again. That will be the same thing this yr. Ice fishing and bow hunting trump everything to me. My new addiction is lake fishing. Its not new to me but now its my boat and me finding the fish instead of just reeling them in. Nothing like hearing that wire rod screaming. Zinnnnnng

Thats a good point Adam but James did land a 36" 15+lb Steelie in '09. Add to that a flow rate of 750 cfs or more and you may have some trouble. That would be a bear on the CP. Also if you did try the float in the estuary (I know most don't think that will work in the SR) for big Kings you'd be faced with a long fight to land those big ones. Moreover, the CP in Nj after Memorial weekend also is not a good option with lower water levels making it harder to get a good drift. At least in North Jersey. The rivers here are comparitively smaller than even the Salmon.

BTW I'm in a similar boat as you since I fish the boat mostly after Memorial Day right through November. Although if we have a warmer winter with little ice the option to stream fish all winter would be one we would glady do but likely with the flyrod mostly.

Time is short and I'll be up soon. 1st choice in the estuary will be the Tidemaster. Then, if, and only if, I have lots of hook ups and fish landed I may try the CP. I'm not wasting my time trying to land 'em this early. They are as good as dead if I say "fish on" this year!! No question... No Flyfishing either. I'll save the pin, flyrod and noodle for November this year. Maybe just maybe I can attain one of the 3 goals set earlier this year. 25 lb Salmon, Muskie & Striper. All 3 are still possible by year end. We'll see now.

I likely won't make the October trip since I have a bud in Afghanistan who is slated to return for leave in October. I am flying down to Florida to spend a few days hanging with him. 

lpv89

« Reply #3175 on: Aug 25, 2011, 09:08 PM »
The rumor is out here in the west. we have a lot of Atlantics getting ready to run.. but i heard it threw a few people. i got one last year.
I hope we get a good run this year, and all those d**n salmon snaggers let them be and release every one caught
Fish on!!!!!!!! When i get that big one the world will know.

Fetzer1

« Reply #3176 on: Aug 25, 2011, 09:09 PM »
Thanks everyone for the great replys. Snag- the wild river looks like a great rod for the $$$. I cant see paying the extra money for a higher end rod when you are staring at a float and dont need to feel the hit like when your bottom bouncing. I'm glad you pointed out that it has some a$$ to put some pork on the fish. I like getting em in quick and turned loose. Thanks so much you made my decision easy. Now to pick out a reel and line.

lpv89

« Reply #3177 on: Aug 25, 2011, 09:10 PM »
i picked up the wild river yesterday, and i really like it. i just dont know if i want the 13' or the 11'6. but its only rated for 2-6 on the 13'

H.T.

• I AM PROUD TO BE AN *OPPORTUNIST*
« Reply #3178 on: Aug 25, 2011, 09:12 PM »
i picked up the wild river yesterday, and i really like it. i just dont know if i want the 13' or the 11'6. but its only rated for 2-6 on the 13'
i went with the 11'6 a lot easier on the fore arm ;D

lpv89

« Reply #3179 on: Aug 25, 2011, 09:16 PM »
i believe it! i may just end up buying both. so when i fish the Catt. i can have a long rod for hero drifts in less crowded areas

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.