FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD Thread  (Read 1084094 times)

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
Re: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD BS Thread
« Reply #3300 on: Aug 27, 2011, 06:53 PM »
Thanks for the info. Joe. I have a call into Kevin as I write this but for a trip in November for Steelie and Browns on the OZ.
I do have a boat and plan on bringing her up for the 5th & 6th. There is a good chance for an extended stay but that remains to be seen. Everything you said is what I have been told already but some things don't make sense to me. For example, if the fish don't bite and you basically drift the line (sponge) across their mouths then why is a lighter leader line necessary? Or if Flouro is supposedly invisible or much lower visibility why would a lighter line be necessary since apparently they can't see it anyway? Either way I will probably start heavier then if need be an adjustment will be made. I will have a mono spool of 12lb too for the same reel. 12lb scares me though since last year in September down low with an estaz egg ...... the staircase.......one hook up was zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz snap. Not a chance in the world to land, turn, control that fish.

I am bringing my Tidemaster for the estuary but I will have my fly, CP float and noodle rods too.
 alot involved in turning a fish , rod , reel , line , operator ..... dont waste youre time with a cp in the estuary , go with a 10.5 at least and get used to the fact that you arent gonna land even close to every one you hook , it just dosent happen . i like to land 1 of every 4 at least , and i use 8 lb p line . if you do end up with other people on the boat with you go over what is gonna happen when 1 of you hooks a fish before hand , and by that i mean who is gonna pull the anchor , who is gonna drive the boat , and try to fight the fish away from the hole you are fishin in . the other guys fishin the hole will treat you a whole lot better . if you can get the boat freed up and get over the fish youre chances of landing it go way up . oh and bring an extra spool of line lots of hooks n sinkers cuz one will walk you in the port , i dont care who you are its the freshest fish in the river every day and they can take 100 in a hurry .  ;D

fishgalore

« Reply #3301 on: Aug 27, 2011, 07:17 PM »
Theres always gonna be those fish you won't turn...I hooked up below the falls on the Genny a few years back with 1 of my striper plugging rods with 20# ande....I never even slowed her down before I tightened the drag too much and she snapped me off  :-\ :-\

1 of the boats I'm working on is docked in Leonardo...so I went down to check on her (more like check if the owners of the boats next to her bothered to attempt to hurricane proof them)...ended up chucking a black dani swimmer off the Leonardo breakwall for 10 minutes before I admitted defeat...now I'm sitting at a hurricane Beer-B-Que  ;)

:w00t: :rotflol: :clapping: :flag:

fishgalore

« Reply #3302 on: Aug 27, 2011, 07:25 PM »
 alot involved in turning a fish , rod , reel , line , operator ..... dont waste youre time with a cp in the estuary , go with a 10.5 at least and get used to the fact that you arent gonna land even close to every one you hook , it just dosent happen . i like to land 1 of every 4 at least , and i use 8 lb p line . if you do end up with other people on the boat with you go over what is gonna happen when 1 of you hooks a fish before hand , and by that i mean who is gonna pull the anchor , who is gonna drive the boat , and try to fight the fish away from the hole you are fishin in . the other guys fishin the hole will treat you a whole lot better . if you can get the boat freed up and get over the fish youre chances of landing it go way up . oh and bring an extra spool of line lots of hooks n sinkers cuz one will walk you in the port , i dont care who you are its the freshest fish in the river every day and they can take 100 in a hurry .  ;D

Thanks good advise. I'm not planning on using the CP in the estuary!

Addendum:- Maybe I will try the 13' float rod with the spinning reel and 12lb test later on if I can land a nice one. The 13' rod will protect the line but the boat is in for a ride I think!

Stormy_NY

« Reply #3303 on: Aug 27, 2011, 07:57 PM »

Addendum:- Maybe I will try the 13' float rod with the spinning reel and 12lb test later on if I can land a nice one. The 13' rod will protect the line but the boat is in for a ride I think!

Hey Fishgalore ..... Do you make getting nookie this complicated ?   ;)

cohodk

« Reply #3304 on: Aug 27, 2011, 07:59 PM »
Yes sir, I'm learning!! Hence, the estuary is my 1st & best choice to land a monster (unless I fish the Oz with Kevin on Catch the Drift). I had hoped to do a summer charter on Lake O but I couldn't find any interested cohorts. Again, my quest for bigger fish........Salmon, Steelie or Brown, don't matter much which one it is.

The river will be fun after I land the big boy and don't care if I break a few big boys off. Catch my (the) drift? I just want a picture like the one with Kevin and his clients monster Salmon!!

Kevin is a man among men on the Oswego, or the entire lake for that matter.  There isnt any better.

adam2000

• theres beer down here we cant forget
« Reply #3305 on: Aug 27, 2011, 08:45 PM »
everyone stop picking on fishglore. he is new to this and willing to learn. just looking for a edge, bob no braid. its dangerous, it will cut through waders and down to the bone. trust me if there was a better way someone on here would know it. between me , ht , frank and snag thats over a 100 yrs on that river. we will show you the way young jedi. as far as the lake. you know when im off, if you wanna go just give me a heads up. remember early sept on the east end can get nasty so we do get blown off. will talk when your up here on labor day. its hard to make plans 2 weeks out, the lake was flat as a board today, gonna be up to 10 fters tommorrow, she is a beast

adam2000

• theres beer down here we cant forget
« Reply #3306 on: Aug 27, 2011, 08:49 PM »
 if you wanna spend money , spend it on a lake trip, not a river you know too many good river guys on here that will get you into fish, and like i said ill take you on the lake but anything over 4ft my 21 ft sportcraft isnt going out in

H.T.

• I AM PROUD TO BE AN *OPPORTUNIST*
« Reply #3307 on: Aug 27, 2011, 08:55 PM »
bob.....leave the boat,steel leaders and the CP at home for the mud sharks. just bring the normal and one of us will put you on the fish big guy  ;) 8)

Simplecarppieguy

• Established in 1969, Fisherman by 1975..
« Reply #3308 on: Aug 27, 2011, 09:09 PM »
Fishgalore is just excited about fishing up here guys! I fished with him and gillripper last year and his brother. It's about having the time to fish up here and we take it for granted. It's like me in Canada for walleyes. I wait all year for the best week of fishing. We'll get him on Kings hands down.
16 kings, 100 dropped!! Its not all about how many you get to the bank, its about the fun and friendship!

Simplecarppieguy

• Established in 1969, Fisherman by 1975..
« Reply #3309 on: Aug 27, 2011, 09:12 PM »
Bring your pink worms tomorrow Adam! the kings will smash the heck out of them! ;)
16 kings, 100 dropped!! Its not all about how many you get to the bank, its about the fun and friendship!

Smells Like Fish NH

« Reply #3310 on: Aug 27, 2011, 09:26 PM »
Bring your pink worms tomorrow Adam! the kings will smash the heck out of them! ;)

Ive got about 10 packs of them Frank LOL
If anyone is interested in being in a FB group about NH fishing with few limitations and no Richard Craniums...send me a PM... 3000+members strong and growing! Search "New Hampshire Fishing" and ask to join

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #3311 on: Aug 27, 2011, 09:48 PM »
Ive got about 10 packs of them Frank LOL

blue egg netting fly...the spey guys told me there secret bait today. ;D
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

NJGOOSEBUSTER1

« Reply #3312 on: Aug 27, 2011, 09:52 PM »
  blue egg netting fly...the spey guys told me there secret bait today. ;D
YO SHANE, HOLY SH#%^$%^$%$t IS THE HURRICANE BAD DOWN HERE BAD WIND AND HEAVY HEAVY RAIN.   IF YOU HAD THIS MUCH RAIN IN ALTMAR EVERY SALMON FROM THE GREAT LAKES WOULD BE THERE!

NJGOOSEBUSTER1

« Reply #3313 on: Aug 27, 2011, 09:54 PM »

HOWS THE WEATHER IN ROCKAWAY FISHGALORE?   IM AN HOUR WEST OF YOU ON THE DELAWARE RIVER,    WERE GOING TO HAVE A PROBLEM HERE.

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #3314 on: Aug 27, 2011, 10:03 PM »
YO SHANE, HOLY SH#%^$%^$%$t IS THE HURRICANE BAD DOWN HERE BAD WIND AND HEAVY HEAVY RAIN.   IF YOU HAD THIS MUCH RAIN IN ALTMAR EVERY SALMON FROM THE GREAT LAKES WOULD BE THERE!

Just send us about 2-3 inches for a nice Tuesday run..
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.