FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD Thread  (Read 1084164 times)

hunterdeneugene

Re: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD Thread
« Reply #3885 on: Sep 06, 2011, 06:55 PM »
I'll be pulling out around 4:30am and hope to be in the area of the BP at 8:30am.... Thur it is.

wiredstone

« Reply #3886 on: Sep 06, 2011, 07:00 PM »
So are you thinking of running floats with a casting reel like on a pin set-up? I have a buddy that does it up the SR. He mostly pins but likes the caster in big water...
Im going to play around with one when im bobber fishing eyes this fall on our river here. I have a real nice quantum accurist with 7:1 retrieve that would be nice for taking up line. Plus it has the "flipping" feature, ie- you can freespool one handed. You dont have to turn the handle to engage the reel, just take your thumb off the bar.
95% of the fun of pinning is fighting the fish with no drag but the baitcaster would be fun too...
Plus it might be an excuse to build another rod...  :whistling: :whistling: ;D
YEAH, I HAVE PROBLEMS HOLDING A PIN. SO A BAITCASTER IS THE NEXT BEST THING. OKUMA AND ST.CROIX HAVE WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR. I THUOGHT MAYBE SOMEONE OUT THERE MIGHT HAVE ONE THEY WANT TO PART WITH.
wooo fish on. Never mind

ErnyeJSES

« Reply #3887 on: Sep 06, 2011, 07:08 PM »
run of the century ;D haha love it....can't wait to hear what the DSR says tomorrow.

esox v

« Reply #3888 on: Sep 06, 2011, 07:10 PM »
So are you thinking of running floats with a casting reel like on a pin set-up? I have a buddy that does it up the SR. He mostly pins but likes the caster in big water...
 You dont have to turn the handle to engage the reel, just take your thumb off the bar.
Plus it might be an excuse to build another rod...  :whistling: :whistling: ;D
Your thumb is very close to the spool with a thumb bar so it's easier to just put your thumb on the spool and set the hook.....and then your going to reel anyway and that will engage the reel..... Your going to be surprised at how well it works for float fishing...... you have a lot of control on the slowing down part of the drifting but not so much on the start up..... used them a bit in the tribs....
"There is no crueler tyranny than that which is perpetrated
under the shield of law and in the name of justice."
--Charles de Montesquieu (1689-1755)
For tyranny to work some idiots are required…

The most dangerous thing any nation faces..  is a citizenry capable of trusting a liar to lead them....

Mr. Jitterbugger

« Reply #3889 on: Sep 06, 2011, 08:02 PM »
good luck to everyone this season, tight lines ;)

fishingjason

« Reply #3890 on: Sep 06, 2011, 08:21 PM »
Fished down low today. Not much action. I saw some pass by during the day. Only had a couple of hook ups. I spent a lot of the time fly rod indicator fishing for whatever.
It's a new game after the rise tonight....

the_mad_iceman

• I can't put my arms down!
« Reply #3891 on: Sep 06, 2011, 08:23 PM »
I can't wait to get back up there, maybe 2-3 weeks! should be A LOT more fish in the river by then... More than this past weekend.

Dark Cloud

« Reply #3892 on: Sep 06, 2011, 08:24 PM »
Your thumb is very close to the spool with a thumb bar so it's easier to just put your thumb on the spool and set the hook.....and then your going to reel anyway and that will engage the reel..... Your going to be surprised at how well it works for float fishing...... you have a lot of control on the slowing down part of the drifting but not so much on the start up..... used them a bit in the tribs....

Im thinking it will work for being lazy/keeping one hand warm and tucked in a pocket with a hand warmer while the rod-reel hand can be in a mitt...  :whistling: :whistling: ;D ;D
MFF Quote of the Year - \"Im done with this MORON FEST\" ; Esox V

lakerdave

« Reply #3893 on: Sep 06, 2011, 08:33 PM »
Heading up in the am . Hopefully the high water brings in the fish.

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #3894 on: Sep 06, 2011, 09:02 PM »
Heading up in the am . Hopefully the high water brings in the fish.

I know I'm excited about tomorrow afternoon....
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

monic20

« Reply #3895 on: Sep 06, 2011, 09:45 PM »
See you all tmrw on da river !!!!

lakerdave

« Reply #3896 on: Sep 07, 2011, 05:22 AM »
Hitting the dsr now . Will post the real report later .

nightfisher

« Reply #3897 on: Sep 07, 2011, 05:30 AM »
NF didnt know u were up how long u staying would like to catch u and do some fishing, looks like it will b next weekend, half to go to shanes for some gear. Kowboy

We'll catch up, been spending a lot of time up there. Bought an old house in Altmar. Usually up from thursday night till sunday. PM me next time you're heading up.

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #3898 on: Sep 07, 2011, 10:21 AM »
       I just got word from my guys that the front edge of a major push of fish hit the josh pool in dsr at 9am, that leading edge should be at the staircase by 3-4pm...  ball park by 6pm ... got a call from the ball park..scattered coho's have made it that far already, but not a major run..just groups...it's on boys....go get em.... ;D

Funny.....  today is my best friend Daves birthday...had many a good runs on his birthday...looks like it will be a birthday to remember again..can't wait to hit the river with him... ;D
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

SKUNK-MASTER

« Reply #3899 on: Sep 07, 2011, 10:32 AM »
YEAH, I HAVE PROBLEMS HOLDING A PIN. SO A BAITCASTER IS THE NEXT BEST THING. OKUMA AND ST.CROIX HAVE WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR. I THUOGHT MAYBE SOMEONE OUT THERE MIGHT HAVE ONE THEY WANT TO PART WITH.
thinkin of that myself........not sure where to get a casting rod that long??

pb brown 27"             pb walleye 23"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.