FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD Thread  (Read 1084210 times)

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
Re: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD Thread
« Reply #4155 on: Sep 13, 2011, 06:53 AM »
I wouldn't expect an unprompted or undefendable comment to come from a respectable person? ???  My suggestion is to resent improper speaking as a challenge toward good breeding. Demand respectful treatment from your peers, giving your own self respect is in place. Follow those simple rules, and back talking almost never happens my friend. ;)
it does when im half a bottle deep  ;D

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #4156 on: Sep 13, 2011, 07:49 AM »
Fishing Report:

Haven't made a report in a while..been taking advantage of the good weather to get stuff done...  Guys here did great Saturday mid River, they had to do long walks , but it was worth it..  30-40 hook up type stuff..  Sunday those fished moved above Pineville, so my guys went to Pulaski looking for new fish, it was slow, they picked away at a few fish... Yesterday sucked and today probably will too, unless a piece of those coho's in the port take off..   Got 2 fronts coming in..one tonight and another one tomorrow night, it's going to be tricky trying to figure out this next run..theres no east winds and probably little rain coming, so these coho's could come in in pieces, not one solid run... we'll see how the rain shakes out.....later......

On a side note:

Oh also pulled the scale out Saturday...cleaned 26 kings..... males were 14-17lbs on average and the females were 17-18lbs on average....unless this group was all three year old fish...They are averageing about 2-4lbs lighter this year...
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

tree-on

« Reply #4157 on: Sep 13, 2011, 08:03 AM »
Great reports bcons and snagger, I was a little worried the big run was going early.

ErnyeJSES

« Reply #4158 on: Sep 13, 2011, 08:06 AM »
I was on the river last week having a conversation with another guy....for some reason we started talking about brown trout and their "switch" from alewife to gobies....he was saying that salmon were starting to switch too?? Now as far as I know, the reason why salmon just arent here anymore in the BIG numbers they used to is because they just wont make the switch from alwife to the gobie

anyone have any info on this? I have a suspicion that the guy was full of it...

SNAGGER

« Reply #4159 on: Sep 13, 2011, 08:13 AM »
I was on the river last week having a conversation with another guy....for some reason we started talking about brown trout and their "switch" from alewife to gobies....he was saying that salmon were starting to switch too?? Now as far as I know, the reason why salmon just arent here anymore in the BIG numbers they used to is because they just wont make the switch from alwife to the gobie

anyone have any info on this? I have a suspicion that the guy was full of it...

Theres nothing wrong with the salmon populations Erney, there the same as they have been since the late 90's...great numbers..your not old enough to remember the 70's and 80's when the lake still had massive alewife & chinook pops , but since it leveled and stockings were reduced in the mid 90's, theres been no problem with Salmon pops at our end of the lake..I was just making an observation to there size, these fish fluctuate from year to year. I blame the cold spring for there reduced size this year..i mean on average so far.
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

Fetzer1

« Reply #4160 on: Sep 13, 2011, 09:04 AM »
Fishing Report:

Haven't made a report in a while..been taking advantage of the good weather to get stuff done...  Guys here did great Saturday mid River, they had to do long walks , but it was worth it..  30-40 hook up type stuff..  Sunday those fished moved above Pineville, so my guys went to Pulaski looking for new fish, it was slow, they picked away at a few fish... Yesterday sucked and today probably will too, unless a piece of those coho's in the port take off..   Got 2 fronts coming in..one tonight and another one tomorrow night, it's going to be tricky trying to figure out this next run..theres no east winds and probably little rain coming, so these coho's could come in in pieces, not one solid run... we'll see how the rain shakes out.....later......

On a side note:

Oh also pulled the scale out Saturday...cleaned 26 kings..... males were 14-17lbs on average and the females were 17-18lbs on average....unless this group was all three year old fish...They are averageing about 2-4lbs lighter this year...

Great report Snagger!
  I have one question that has been grinding me for years. I was taught along time ago by some old time heavy hitters that a west wind is the best wind for a fresh push of fish. But, my experiences and as you say an East wind pushes out the lake's warm suraface water as well as drops the level in the estuary and moves some of the warmer water out there too.  What's your take on this? Thanks

SEADUCKTION

« Reply #4161 on: Sep 13, 2011, 09:57 AM »
With the lake temps as cold as they have been the past week or so, the pods have been nosing in but turning around because the river temps were much warmer. Almost like putting a door in their way. This west wind coming could/ should bring warm mater back in, if there is any close enough, since the whole lake flipped. If it does come in, it will sort of act as a key to open that door, making the river cooler than the lake again. Also the fish love to "surf" their way into the river. Not sure why but whenever we get medium - big waves out of the west/ north west we see good pods of fish enter. Not saying the mother load with enter the estuary on these fronts, but there will surely be a good push in the next couple days. Also, the chromer numbers is very large right now in the blue water off shore!!!!! Good luck.

Capt. Rich

SNAGGER

« Reply #4162 on: Sep 13, 2011, 10:45 AM »
Great report Snagger!
  I have one question that has been grinding me for years. I was taught along time ago by some old time heavy hitters that a west wind is the best wind for a fresh push of fish. But, my experiences and as you say an East wind pushes out the lake's warm suraface water as well as drops the level in the estuary and moves some of the warmer water out there too.  What's your take on this? Thanks

I use southeast winds as a gauge for late August runs and til about September 15th runs..which we are approaching..before this time you need to break the thermocline to get fish close enough to enter the port, west winds stack warm water, so anytime before now a west wind sucks, usually it was the southeast wind that brought them close, then when the wind is ripping out of the west after the storm passes people see the fish thinking it was the west wind that did it... now your surface temps and river temps are approaching a level that is comfortable for fish to be in...River's riding around 65-66 and lake O around 69-70 ...east winds aren't that important going forward.
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

esox v

« Reply #4163 on: Sep 13, 2011, 10:58 AM »
 Fishingjasons down low.....  he's been hitting a few silver fish in adams hole....
"There is no crueler tyranny than that which is perpetrated
under the shield of law and in the name of justice."
--Charles de Montesquieu (1689-1755)
For tyranny to work some idiots are required…

The most dangerous thing any nation faces..  is a citizenry capable of trusting a liar to lead them....

Smells Like Fish NH

« Reply #4164 on: Sep 13, 2011, 11:05 AM »
Snagger, do you smoke fish as well as clean them?
If anyone is interested in being in a FB group about NH fishing with few limitations and no Richard Craniums...send me a PM... 3000+members strong and growing! Search "New Hampshire Fishing" and ask to join

jj7leaf

« Reply #4165 on: Sep 13, 2011, 11:16 AM »
They are averageing about 2-4lbs lighter this year...

Should hopefully see some improvement in those sizes soon as this year you needed 31 lb's plus to even make the top 20 in the loc derby.  3 years ago, anything over 30 in the derby would have put you in the top 5 money.

I know we had some screamers out there that we couldn't handle this year.  Pull some of my rigs down into line that hadn't seen the light of day in years, really tough to land.  Pretty tough to land one of those monsters when they are still fresh on skinny water gear too.

j

kowboy

« Reply #4166 on: Sep 13, 2011, 11:33 AM »
Got out to the lake one more time and had agood day. So i got to stop at the trestle and wiiness my first sight of how that place is fished. There were about 10 guys that i could see. I stayed about an hr and watched guys. Saw 5 hookups and one fish landed, as snagger would say that is where the circus is. Not sure if ill get up to any fishing on the river before i leave but it looks like fun. Got to stop in and bull with snagger as i havent seen him in awhile always playing phone tag, it was good to see u my friend, good luck the rest of the season. Kowboy

Fetzer1

« Reply #4167 on: Sep 13, 2011, 12:27 PM »
Seaducktion and Snagger- thanks for taking time out your day for replying. GREAT answers and they are very appreciated. Looks like thursday is going to kick it up a notch with the Temp. drop and the wind. I'll be in hot persuit for some coho eggs!

ErnyeJSES

« Reply #4168 on: Sep 13, 2011, 01:10 PM »
          Theres nothing wrong with the salmon populations Erney, there the same as they have been since the late 90's...great numbers..your not old enough to remember the 70's and 80's when the lake still had massive alewife & chinook pops , but since it leveled and stockings were reduced in the mid 90's, theres been no problem with Salmon pops at our end of the lake..I was just making an observation to there size, these fish fluctuate from year to year. I blame the cold spring for there reduced size this year..i mean on average so far.

I didnt really mean on our end of the lake...or really on Lake Ontario. But just take a look at whats happend to Lake Huron...

92Xer

« Reply #4169 on: Sep 13, 2011, 02:01 PM »
The rain storms today/tonight should bring in new fish....ill be up there Wed, Sun and Mon morning. I'm so glad I dont live to far away  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.