FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD Thread  (Read 1084100 times)

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
Re: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD Thread
« Reply #4245 on: Sep 16, 2011, 10:16 AM »

Nothing conflicting here ..I got guys at staircase...lower black and Dsr.. there saying the same thing...slow.
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

jersey dave

« Reply #4246 on: Sep 16, 2011, 10:47 AM »
Just checked weather for altmar says there will be east winds on sunday and monday and then rain wednesday thursday friday with west wind so next weekend might be real good
Jersey Dave

griz104

« Reply #4247 on: Sep 16, 2011, 11:12 AM »
I had the truck all packed up last night with full intention of coming over this morning but something kept telling me not to go..Glad i listened this time..I think Monday will be the day....

aj454

« Reply #4248 on: Sep 16, 2011, 11:34 AM »
Im goin this weekend just to get away for couple days. ya never know

esox v

« Reply #4249 on: Sep 16, 2011, 11:43 AM »
 Jays below the black at the orange line.... 2 hook up 35 to 40 guys in a half hour... Reports that the little black hole has been on fire this Am .... If It is.... the fish aint moving up !!
"There is no crueler tyranny than that which is perpetrated
under the shield of law and in the name of justice."
--Charles de Montesquieu (1689-1755)
For tyranny to work some idiots are required…

The most dangerous thing any nation faces..  is a citizenry capable of trusting a liar to lead them....

gatorsin09

« Reply #4250 on: Sep 16, 2011, 02:25 PM »
went to SR for the first time today to try out my new stuff before it got crazy. Went to bullpark just lookin to test things out. Went with the 8wt rod with mono on the reel. Not sure if im casting it right but I got some nice drifts, didnt see much 2 fish caught in 3 hrs around me. Walked all over getting my footing in the river. Still not sure how catching a big fish on this fly pole is going to be! interesting for sure....Doing this chuck and duck thing on the fly rod until its steelhead season, any videos or tips on how to cast it? Most people I saw were smashing spinning reels with alot of weight, I just had 2 split shots on and kind of tossed it out there. Cant wait to figure this out and have the fish come!

griz104

« Reply #4251 on: Sep 16, 2011, 02:29 PM »
After using a Martin 72 up there for the past 30+ years i figured that maybe i should buy a back up reel just in case..Not having a clue as to what to get i went on E-bay and got a brand new Pflueger Trion 1990..I had never been around one or even held one but was going pretty much by the Pfluger name as i have other reels by them that have held up great..I was a bit disappointed as i thought it would be a tad bit heavier and beefy then it is.. Just hope it is half as good as what the old Martin's were!

griz104

« Reply #4252 on: Sep 16, 2011, 02:33 PM »
went to SR for the first time today to try out my new stuff before it got crazy. Went to bullpark just lookin to test things out. Went with the 8wt rod with mono on the reel. Not sure if im casting it right but I got some nice drifts, didnt see much 2 fish caught in 3 hrs around me. Walked all over getting my footing in the river. Still not sure how catching a big fish on this fly pole is going to be! interesting for sure....Doing this chuck and duck thing on the fly rod until its steelhead season, any videos or tips on how to cast it? Most people I saw were smashing spinning reels with alot of weight, I just had 2 split shots on and kind of tossed it out there. Cant wait to figure this out and have the fish come!

Your doing it right Gator.. Sometimes you gotta adjust the amount of weight as you just want to be ticking bottom every now and again..The main thing is to fish.. you will learn a lot by doing so.. watch the guys around you who are catching fish and you can learn a lot from them also..I sent you a PM the other day did you get it?? By the way you wearing Korkers or anything anti-slip on your boots?? if not sooner or later you will get a Salmon River Baptism..

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #4253 on: Sep 16, 2011, 03:13 PM »
The standard heavy duty drag flyreel for me is a scientific anglers system 2.   Mine has been around forever and taken abuse from salmon, steelies, browns, carp, stripers and bluefish and still works great.  My buddies that first brought me up there, their system2s are twice as old as mine and still working 100%.

In that same amount of time, I've fried 2 okuma fly reels and my friends have fried a billy pate, tibor, and a plueger, yet the SA system2s keep on workin...

gatorsin09

« Reply #4254 on: Sep 16, 2011, 03:15 PM »
yes I spent the money and got really nice boots and waders, thats kind of what I was testing today and it all worked awesome, weird having breatheable waders on as mine were always boot foots to take out the dock.... When im casting with mono do I just strip the line and leave it in the water next to me or try to hold it in my stripping hand in loops? I think my biggest thing was I was trying to get nice long smooth drifts and it seemed alot of people were doing short choppy ones. I just had a single egg on 3 ft fluro leeader and barrel swivel with 2-3 split shots. not sure if I should be trying flies or what, I have a map but couldnt really find where to park for staircase so I went to ballpark-seemed easier for my first time

adam2000

• theres beer down here we cant forget
« Reply #4255 on: Sep 16, 2011, 03:21 PM »
After using a Martin 72 up there for the past 30+ years i figured that maybe i should buy a back up reel just in case..Not having a clue as to what to get i went on E-bay and got a brand new Pflueger Trion 1990..I had never been around one or even held one but was going pretty much by the Pfluger name as i have other reels by them that have held up great..I was a bit disappointed as i thought it would be a tad bit heavier and beefy then it is.. Just hope it is half as good as what the old Martin's were!

I've got 100's of kings on my trion its a great reel

tinsucks

« Reply #4256 on: Sep 16, 2011, 03:31 PM »
I like using flyline rather than mono. Its easier to cast and easier to handle in my opinion. Tie-off a 15 lb 8ft mono leader to a piece of floro to your fly/egg. Chuck and duck short drifts in the rollers. With a 8wt rod I'd oversize to a 10wt weight forward floating line. Honestly once salmon season gets going short drift will be it because of the number of people. The guys that get upset because they want to swing streamers throught the tails out should stay home. This is going to take you a bit until you get the hang of it. Don't be afraid to ask the people around you as most of the people on the river are pretty cool. When you run into the aholes walk away. When you hook into one hang on!

griz104

« Reply #4257 on: Sep 16, 2011, 03:54 PM »
I've got 100's of kings on my trion its a great reel

Right now it's still a back up for if anything happens to the Martin but makes me feel a bit better knowing it's a decent reel.. you are the first i came across who has one..

adam2000

• theres beer down here we cant forget
« Reply #4258 on: Sep 16, 2011, 04:40 PM »
Right now it's still a back up for if anything happens to the Martin but makes me feel a bit better knowing it's a decent reel.. you are the first i came across who has one..
Few guys on here have them and like them

eyeguy

« Reply #4259 on: Sep 16, 2011, 05:12 PM »
Fished the staircase this morning.  I am still a rookie so I dont know much, but I only saw about 30 fish swim by in about 4 hours.  I had 2 hookups.  They were very short lived.  Had a blast just watching these huge fish fly by!!! Looked like no one else was doing very well either.  Cant wait to get back out there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.