FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD Thread  (Read 1084342 times)

gatorsin09

Re: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD Thread
« Reply #4275 on: Sep 16, 2011, 10:34 PM »
Going to head back up tomorrow. I notice people are catching steelhead is there any chance of them hitting the single egg or should I have a fly on around them? I was going to head back to ballpark because it was so easy to park. Is this the time of year its worth it to pay for the dsr when the fish are really low? I got my feet wet yesterday so tomorrow ill be looking to hookup. Where do people park for the staircase?my map took me to a parking lot which consisted of 2 handicap parking spots....I saw people parking at the lot of some closed business right on jefferson but i have a nice new car that I really dont want to get towed. If anybody will be up there or has any advice lmk. ill be in the blue car or ill be the newbish guy walkin all over fumbling this 9 foot fly rod im still new to with a black backpack strapped on. After hearing straight horror stories everywhere I went about SR  I encountered allextremely nice people while I was there! One nice guy even offered his spot to me when he saw me wandering around. Everyone who saw me asked me where the fish were which gave me a nice chuckle because It took me long enough to find ball park let alone a fish in it! im officially hooked I spent half as much on gas to get there as I do for gas for the boat on oneida haha! Cant wait to catch a fish and cant wait for steelhead so maybe I can feel like a fisherman-with like different lures to use and stuff haha

Any tips of where to take my new 5 wt trout reel to get setup with everything I need?I was going to take it to mickeys but I figured one of the places near SR would probably be better...

adam2000

• theres beer down here we cant forget
« Reply #4276 on: Sep 16, 2011, 10:49 PM »
Going to head back up tomorrow. I notice people are catching steelhead is there any chance of them hitting the single egg or should I have a fly on around them? I was going to head back to ballpark because it was so easy to park. Is this the time of year its worth it to pay for the dsr when the fish are really low? I got my feet wet yesterday so tomorrow ill be looking to hookup. Where do people park for the staircase?my map took me to a parking lot which consisted of 2 handicap parking spots....I saw people parking at the lot of some closed business right on jefferson but i have a nice new car that I really dont want to get towed. If anybody will be up there or has any advice lmk. ill be in the blue car or ill be the newbish guy walkin all over fumbling this 9 foot fly rod im still new to with a black backpack strapped on. After hearing straight horror stories everywhere I went about SR  I encountered allextremely nice people while I was there! One nice guy even offered his spot to me when he saw me wandering around. Everyone who saw me asked me where the fish were which gave me a nice chuckle because It took me long enough to find ball park let alone a fish in it! im officially hooked I spent half as much on gas to get there as I do for gas for the boat on oneida haha! Cant wait to catch a fish and cant wait for steelhead so maybe I can feel like a fisherman-with like different lures to use and stuff haha

Any tips of where to take my new 5 wt trout reel to get setup with everything I need?I was going to take it to mickeys but I figured one of the places near SR would probably be better...
all seasons is a good shop. Are you going to run mono or fly line?

wiredstone

« Reply #4277 on: Sep 16, 2011, 11:26 PM »
Fished the lower end this morning, went 0 for 13 one steelhead the rest kings lost them all, guess we still got a little rust to get out...made up for it in the afternoon...landed a nice 12lb steelhead!!     :rotflol:

Nice steelie LV. I was 1 for 7 today. Finally landed 1 off the rt. 3 bridge. 6# leader. Just got home will post pic tommorow. Lots of fish in port.  :thumbup_smilie:
wooo fish on. Never mind

gatorsin09

« Reply #4278 on: Sep 16, 2011, 11:38 PM »
all seasons is a good shop. Are you going to run mono or fly line?

actually the 5 wt is for brook trout so I can learn to cast a real fly rod.I have mono on the 8wt for salmon for now just trying to learn

adam2000

• theres beer down here we cant forget
« Reply #4279 on: Sep 16, 2011, 11:46 PM »
actually the 5 wt is for brook trout so I can learn to cast a real fly rod.I have mono on the 8wt for salmon for now just trying to learn
just get some backing and a floating 5 wt line. Just make sure you clean the line or it doesn't shoot as well

lehigh vally

« Reply #4280 on: Sep 17, 2011, 12:31 AM »
Nice fish rob. Bad hat you have been hanging out with shane to much. I like the seal one better
I forgot my hat this weekend  :'(  had to borrow one

lehigh vally

« Reply #4281 on: Sep 17, 2011, 12:34 AM »
Wow - Nice fish LV  ;D
Thanks..surprised me to   :w00t:

lehigh vally

« Reply #4282 on: Sep 17, 2011, 12:39 AM »
Nice steelie LV. I was 1 for 7 today. Finally landed 1 off the rt. 3 bridge. 6# leader. Just got home will post pic tommorow. Lots of fish in port.  :thumbup_smilie:
OK wired..we looked for you after the first spot but never caught up with you, hit the chrome in the next hole..you know where i mean   :blink:

griz104

« Reply #4283 on: Sep 17, 2011, 04:57 AM »
Fished the lower end this morning, went 0 for 13 one steelhead the rest kings lost them all, guess we still got a little rust to get out...made up for it in the afternoon...landed a nice 12lb steelhead!!     :rotflol:

Nice Steelhead!! I would rather have them any day over Salmon..

duffy

« Reply #4284 on: Sep 17, 2011, 06:18 AM »
Very nice Chrome Rob!!

fishingjason

« Reply #4285 on: Sep 17, 2011, 06:51 AM »
Nice Fish!

92Xer

« Reply #4286 on: Sep 17, 2011, 06:57 AM »
Some nice pics! Ill be at the river sun and mon i'm hoping things have picked up since last week.

filetandrelease

« Reply #4287 on: Sep 17, 2011, 08:51 AM »
thats a nice brown , and that king you cleaned snag is a dandy for sure  :thumbup_smilie:

Smells Like Fish NH

« Reply #4288 on: Sep 17, 2011, 08:57 AM »
better get your sea legs.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Hahaha on my boat I don't get sick!
If anyone is interested in being in a FB group about NH fishing with few limitations and no Richard Craniums...send me a PM... 3000+members strong and growing! Search "New Hampshire Fishing" and ask to join

wiredstone

« Reply #4289 on: Sep 17, 2011, 09:16 AM »
OK wired..we looked for you after the first spot but never caught up with you, hit the chrome in the next hole..you know where i mean   :blink:
Caddis was bored so we went to the circus at port. He is still rusty but will be back. This is my first landed fish from the bridge. Thanks to a borrowed net ,Caddis net job and 6#drennon. I was hooked up like a pro last night. That line Snagger hooked me up with cast a country mile  ;D I had about 15' left one the reel every cast :thumbup_smilie:
wooo fish on. Never mind

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.