FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD Thread  (Read 1084352 times)

wiredstone

Re: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD Thread
« Reply #5055 on: Oct 03, 2011, 05:30 PM »
I believe the right answer is that they hit out of aggression. ;D
wooo fish on. Never mind

paul young

« Reply #5056 on: Oct 03, 2011, 05:39 PM »
soak your lead sinkers in vinegar for a few days to take the shine off.

while we're on the subject, i can't believe how much lead most people are using. it REALLY spooks the fish. my buddy and i found a nice pod of 50 or so Kings in a small run at the ball park on Sunday afternoon. they ATTACKED our wooley buggers. we could see 2 or 3 at a time come off the bottom to engulf them. we were having a blast! well, that lasted about 20 minutes. 2 goons spotted us and  attacked them with like 4 to 5 of the very largest split shot you can buy and started ripping. every time the lead hit the water the fish scattered. within 5 minutes of this they were out of there. we were tapping bottom a couple of times per drift with 1 3/0 split shot and the fish were holding there nicely. we hooked over 60 fish between us that day. you just don't need all that weight to fish effectively at these flows. the other downside of using that much weight is the amount of time you spend hung on the bottom and the expense and time lost to re-rigging after a break off.-Paul

lakerdave

« Reply #5057 on: Oct 03, 2011, 05:54 PM »
Its funny that people think that they dont hit, I landed 9 yesterday that all hit, one actually had the hook all the way down , had to cut the line, I also dont get y people need to snagg , theres soo many fish they swimm into your hook , if you have a line in the water its hard not to get one ,  I know they dont hit after they been in the river a few days , thats y u need to getem low, I have only been fishing the river a few years and know they hit , I just get a kick when guys that fish the river 25 years try to tell me the dont hit , if you use the right gear the definetly hitt. Yesterday u could watch them chase your bait  down, but it was weird they didnt start hitting good till the afternoon , I was not snagging lifting , forcefeeding our what ever u call it, had around 50  hookups, not all legit hookups thou, due to them swimming into the line, I just dont get y people say they dont hitt,

dmntd169

« Reply #5058 on: Oct 03, 2011, 06:00 PM »
soak your lead sinkers in vinegar for a few days to take the shine off.

while we're on the subject, i can't believe how much lead most people are using. it REALLY spooks the fish. my buddy and i found a nice pod of 50 or so Kings in a small run at the ball park on Sunday afternoon. they ATTACKED our wooley buggers. we could see 2 or 3 at a time come off the bottom to engulf them. we were having a blast! well, that lasted about 20 minutes. 2 goons spotted us and  attacked them with like 4 to 5 of the very largest split shot you can buy and started ripping. every time the lead hit the water the fish scattered. within 5 minutes of this they were out of there. we were tapping bottom a couple of times per drift with 1 3/0 split shot and the fish were holding there nicely. we hooked over 60 fish between us that day. you just don't need all that weight to fish effectively at these flows. the other downside of using that much weight is the amount of time you spend hung on the bottom and the expense and time lost to re-rigging after a break off.-Paul

But when you get lucky and land 1 of these you get kinda glad guys feel the need to use so much unnecessary gear...I'm pretty sure my buddy replaced all the tackle he lost this entire season just by sorting through this clump earlier today  ;)

the highlight of it was a 6/0 gammy with a hunk of sponge on it on about 50# red braid  :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo:
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
       ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><(((((((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

deervalley27

« Reply #5059 on: Oct 03, 2011, 06:05 PM »
Its funny that people think that they dont hit, I landed 9 yesterday that all hit, one actually had the hook all the way down , had to cut the line, I also dont get y people need to snagg , theres soo many fish they swimm into your hook , if you have a line in the water its hard not to get one ,  I know they dont hit after they been in the river a few days , thats y u need to getem low, I have only been fishing the river a few years and know they hit , I just get a kick when guys that fish the river 25 years try to tell me the dont hit , if you use the right gear the definetly hitt. Yesterday u could watch them chase your bait  down, but it was weird they didnt start hitting good till the afternoon , I was not snagging lifting , forcefeeding our what ever u call it, had around 50  hookups, not all legit hookups thou, due to them swimming into the line, I just dont get y people say they dont hitt,
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Im scratching my head............. can anyone tell me what planet these people are from????

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

adam2000

• theres beer down here we cant forget
« Reply #5060 on: Oct 03, 2011, 06:18 PM »
enough about the " salmon hit verses they dont debate:"    do salmon hit ? sure. do salmon hit when there is a 1000 guys fishing a trench 6 ft wide filled with fish and lead, line and hooks every ft of the water column?  yeah sure they do. smoke another :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo:     they must really like bare hooks then

Smells Like Fish NH

« Reply #5061 on: Oct 03, 2011, 06:20 PM »
enough about the " salmon hit verses they dont debate:"    do salmon hit ? sure. do salmon hit when there is a 1000 guys fishing a trench 6 ft wide filled with fish and lead, line and hooks every ft of the water column?  yeah sure they do. smoke another :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo:     they must really like bare hooks then

And sponge! They love sponge! Haha
If anyone is interested in being in a FB group about NH fishing with few limitations and no Richard Craniums...send me a PM... 3000+members strong and growing! Search "New Hampshire Fishing" and ask to join

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #5062 on: Oct 03, 2011, 06:21 PM »
what  amazes  me  is   how  many  salmon  i  have  cleaned  in   40  years   never  to  have   found  as  mush  as  one  egg  in  them !  not  a  single  nymph!  or  a   baitfish  !!!!   yet these  guys can  present  a  chunk  of  sponge  so natural  they  hit  it!!!!   i know  you   caused  a  hit  out  of  aggression!!!!   wonder  why  they  don't  hit  the  gobies  in  oswego or  the   fall  fish  in  salmon  river  when  there   eatting  there   eggs  ?????  you  guys  are  my  hero's   40  years  of  trying    never  had  a  real  hit  yet   :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol:  that  makes  me  either  the  worse   fisherman  or  the  most  honest  one  in mff  !!!!! ;D
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

KingPerch

« Reply #5063 on: Oct 03, 2011, 06:29 PM »
Who here snags anyways???? ::) You would have 200 hookups a day if the fish are running into your line and getting hooked in the mouth!! ALOT of fish in that river right now!! ;) GADAM SALMON SNAGGERS anyway..........--KP 8)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

KingPerch

« Reply #5064 on: Oct 03, 2011, 06:30 PM »
it is mostly because you suck you better stick to flinging you fluke off the wall ;D
Salmon hit flukes outta aggression???? ;D--KP 8)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

Dark Cloud

« Reply #5065 on: Oct 03, 2011, 06:34 PM »
   they must really like bare hooks then

Every year when I get into fish thick, I try a bare hook and always end up hooking one deep on the tongue. These fish suck in large amounts of water on thier journey... And before anyone goes there, I know you have to have bait of some sort on. But sometimes it falls off and I sleep well at night...  :unsure:
MFF Quote of the Year - \"Im done with this MORON FEST\" ; Esox V

adam2000

« Reply #5066 on: Oct 03, 2011, 06:37 PM »
Every year when I get into fish thick, I try a bare hook and always end up hooking one deep on the tongue. These fish suck in large amounts of water on thier journey... And before anyone goes there, I know you have to have bait of some sort on. But sometimes it falls off and I sleep well at night...  :unsure:
and sometimes when you know that the next cast youll have another fish on and break off you dont bother either.   i sleep good too DC

wiredstone

« Reply #5067 on: Oct 03, 2011, 06:39 PM »
I had a dead one eat my fly once. Pulled up a rotten head with the fly deep in its mouth. :w00t:
wooo fish on. Never mind

adam2000

« Reply #5068 on: Oct 03, 2011, 06:44 PM »
went over to shanty and found this     http://www.shad-rapp.com/Ice%20Fish%20Baby.mp3

AWESOME

Simplecarppieguy

• Established in 1969, Fisherman by 1975..
« Reply #5069 on: Oct 03, 2011, 06:47 PM »
went over to shanty and found this     http://www.shad-rapp.com/Ice%20Fish%20Baby.mp3

AWESOME
I got a couple songs from those guys on the clova vid I made us.!
16 kings, 100 dropped!! Its not all about how many you get to the bank, its about the fun and friendship!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.